General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ATTN: People w/ Nokya artic whites or APC rewire harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 03:32 PM

Hey guys, I have heard many stories of people who got nokya artic white bulbs for their headlights and the bulbs ended up melting and causing the harness to melt too. Well, since I have these bulbs in my car, I decided to go down to my local import shop today and get the APC rewire kit. While I was in there I was talking to the owner who is the editor of some kind of electrician book and he said that getting the APC rewire is a waste of money. The nokya artic whites should NOT do this to your harness and that it's because the harness is not grounded well is the reason for the bulbs and harness melting. He said that if my harness is grounded well, that nothing should happen. What do you guys think of this? I find it hard to believe. I don't want my stuff to melt so tell me what you guys think about what he said!

Thanks! Matt
Old 05-30-2001, 03:57 PM

matt -

I read that on the board a couple times searching about it recently... since I did completely melt and burn both of my harnesses and both nokya arcticwhite bulbs, I got 2 new headlight harnesses. I hooked them up and grounded each one individually instead of together like they originally were. Once I get new headlights I'll let ya know - but i have definately read on here from multiple people that you only have to reground it for it to not melt the harness.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:27 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Hmm..So how does he explain the people with OEM wattage bulbs never burn up their harness?? Why does it only happen to people running higher wattage bulb? It's because the stock harness is design with a ground that's further and it will support up to the OEM wattage without problems. Good ground always will help. I guess you can cut up your stock headlight harness and run thicker ground wire to the closest piece of metal and your OEM harness might last.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:36 AM

He told me that the nokya artic whites are not a higher wattage bulb. He says that they are stock wattage that puts out the light of higher wattage bulbs.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:51 AM

Ok...the guy that told you this is an idiot now. He didn't write any book. He probably could barely read. I guess NOKYA is some super duper patented space program light bulb. It's so super efficient that it draws 55w and puts out 75w. This guy will probably tell you stickers add HP just to sell you some stickers

Think about it. If it draws the same amount of wattage as stock bulb. Why the hell would the stock harness burn up?
If it's the same wattage draw, stock bulb would have burn up the stock harness.

Nevertheless, like I stated before, never hurts to have good grounds.

Originally posted by matt92gxe
He told me that the nokya artic whites are not a higher wattage bulb. He says that they are stock wattage that puts out the light of higher wattage bulbs.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:15 AM

Old 05-31-2001, 12:53 PM

Not Funny

Well, first of all, I don't find the humor in what you said. If he was so worried about selling stuff, he probably wouldn't have told me NOT to get the APC rewire. I know that this guy knows what he is talking about (and yes, he can read). I guess it makes some people feel smarter to make fun of other people.

Anyways, I hope that the ground is all that causes this because if it is, then I shouldn't have a problem!
Old 05-31-2001, 01:40 PM

Re: Not Funny

Well, first of all, I don't find the humor in what you said. If he was so worried about selling stuff, he probably wouldn't have told me NOT to get the APC rewire. I know that this guy knows what he is talking about (and yes, he can read). I guess it makes some people feel smarter to make fun of other people.

Anyways, I hope that the ground is all that causes this because if it is, then I shouldn't have a problem!

Old 05-31-2001, 02:24 PM

Good luck!!!!

Old 05-31-2001, 08:58 PM

Hey, I was with matt when this guy said all this stuff. Yes, he thinks he knows it all. The truth is he owns a sketchy import shop. (They did a ****ty job installing my ypipe and blammed the rattling on the design of the pipe.) The guy said the reason everyone's bulbs and harnesses are melting is because they have bad grounds, not because the bulbs get too hot. He kept bragging that he was the most top qualified electriction in the state and that we are idiots, even though we have had friends after friends having to get new harnesses because these are melting them . Oh well blah blah blah, later.
Old 05-31-2001, 09:18 PM

Just to let you know, the NOKYA bulbs are a higher wattage, 100/80 to be exact, therefore it will melt the stock harness because the stock harness wires are not a big enough gauge to handle the extra wattage. The APC harness wires are much larger gauge wires therefore it will not melt, the APC harness that I have on my 97 actually makes the 100/80 watt bulbs that I have shine brighter than if they are hooked up to the stock harness. I had a 92 Maxima with the APC 100/80 watt bulbs and the harness fried like an egg 3 times. So on my 97 I didn't take any chances and so far I have no problems either.
MHO - get the harness it is well worth the extra cash
Old 05-31-2001, 09:40 PM

So does an upgraded harness actually make a big difference in the brightness??? And also, this guys main agruement was that the Noyka's have the technology to have the brightness of 80/100w but only put out 55/65w. He says its a huge misunderstanding that people have, and that the noykias have the technology to do this. I am no way agreeing with what he says. Im in neutral! :smile:
Old 06-01-2001, 08:15 PM

What about the...

SUVlights.com harness? Its half the price of the APC. Are people actually burning up APC harnesses, or the stock harness plugged into the upgraded harness?

Another guy posted somewhere else on these boards about buying new 9004 plastic connectors, and connecting the hot wires for low and high beam, and then taking a thick ground wire to the radiator or other ground with a nice O connector, and then from there, run similar wire and splice to the stock ground. Said to do this for each bulb and he had no problems. I would presume that if you want a 10-20% brightness increase, get the APC harness, but if you are merely concerned with stock harness melting, then just ground each bulb as mentioned above to prevent the plastic ground connector from melting! Please comment!
Old 06-01-2001, 10:07 PM

I tried the ground thing

Well, after totally burning the crap out of my first pair of OEM harnesses w/ the Nokya's, I put in new NAPA autoparts 9$each harnesses and put regular bulbs back in.

Well after reading about all this "All you have to do is ground it" talk, I decided to try it. I ran new grounds to the frame and also to the old ground wire. I put the nokya's back in. I went 2 days before 1 bulb was out, I pulled the harnes off and its slightly melted.. I ran for 4 months before any trouble the first time, now it only took 2 days ? ?

So, now I bought 2 new 2nd time replacement harness, so all in all I have bought 4 new NAPA harness at 9$ each = 36$, and I still have the crappy original ones!

Why didnt I just buy the APC one in the beginning? That's my next move.
Old 06-02-2001, 09:34 AM

whats the cheapest place to get the APC harness? I thought I saw around 80 bucks somewhere...also, I was running my 80/100 watt lights off stock harness during the winter here and had no problems probably because the heat build-up was quickly cooled. however, it took about 6-8 months before the passenger side bulb blew out and I discovered the slightly melted harness.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:22 PM

Does anyone know what corner bulbs would best match the nokya headlights?
Old 06-19-2002, 08:19 PM

This problem all boils down to OHMs Law. The formula that applies here is W/V=A Where W=Wattage V=Voltage and A=Amperage. Stock High Beam = 65 Watts so 65/12=5.4 Amps. Nissan is cheap and the small guage wires they use will melt when you go to 100 Watts.
100/12=8.3 Amps. Grounding etc. is a waste of time. All wiring needs to be up sized to handle the load.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by arrow96
Nissan is cheap and the small guage wires they use will melt when you go to 100 Watts.
100/12=8.3 Amps. Grounding etc. is a waste of time. All wiring needs to be up sized to handle the load.
Nissan is not cheap. They merely designed the wiring harness to meet the stock requirements. I don't find anything cheap about it.

If you choose to go overwattage, then it's your call.