General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: How do you like to ride?
I like it soft.
27.91%
I like it rough.
53.49%
I like little boys.
18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Modified Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
VK56 Inside

Modified Maximas

After driving a bone stock Maxima this weekend, I in some small way regret all of the modifications I have done to mine. I was reminded of what initially drew me to this car. The smooth ride, quiet interior, quiet yet peppy engine, etc. Mine is just the opposite. Harsh ride, rattly interior, louder intake and exhuast. Dont get me wrong I love my car the way it is, but I miss the stock version some days too. Anyone else have the same regrets?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Maximoneypit

yea i do, then i look at the stock wheel gap.....
i did like the quiet smooth ride tho
Old 10-18-2005, 12:15 PM
VIP Maxima

go test drive the M45 then ull laught at urself for talkin about a stock max like that.....

Old 10-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope. I HATED the stock / floaty / crappy brakes on my stock 3-gen. All my mods I don't regret at all. But I've tried to make intelligent mods also. ie.. Eibachs vs sprints, Konis vs Tokicos, 2000 max muffler vs some droning aftermarket rice muffler etc......

yeah it rides firm but I don't think it's harsh. But it handles 10x better to. Acceptable trade off IMHO. Plus the brakes.....................
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Maximoneypit

ha, ive driven and 04 caddy Deville DTS...... thats smooth
Old 10-18-2005, 12:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

But I've tried to make intelligent mods also

I left my stock catback and modified my intake ... love the sound in fact it sounds near stock ..

louder intake and exhuast
It doesn't have to be that way. Especially since you have a 3.5L.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:36 PM
VK56 Inside

First thing I wasnt compairing my maxima to any other cars so lets try to stay on topic here.

Second the VQ35 intake is much more toned down than the VQ30 so yes its not as loud, but its still louder than stock. I try to modify my car intellegently as well. I am running Tokico Springs and Struts which I felt was a pretty good setup. I still have my stock cat and have the Apexi WS catback so its quiet as far as cat backs go. Maybe harsh was to "harsh" of a word to use. Let me make an anology. I would compair my ride to sleeping on a futon and the stock ride to sleeping on a double pillow top. The futon isnt too bad and still gets the job done, but the double pillow top is like a sleeping on a cloud.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

yeah but let's face it, it's almost impossible to get decent handling on a max w/o sacrificing some ride comfort. You could try to use performance 15" or 16" wheels/tires, use the stock springs but upgrade to Konis/AGXs, get the front/rear swaybars/tie bars etc.... Those should firm up the handling w/o making the ride to bad.

But I can't stand 15" or 16" wheels anymore. And the 4-gen wheel gap is something out of 4x4 Monthly!

So I ran the 18s and put up with the harsher ride. But It's worth it to me.

I like you mod list too also. Not ricey at all.

Originally Posted by Dubbya
First thing I wasnt compairing my maxima to any other cars so lets try to stay on topic here.

Second the VQ35 intake is much more toned down than the VQ30 so yes its not as loud, but its still louder than stock. I try to modify my car intellegently as well. I am running Tokico Springs and Struts which I felt was a pretty good setup. I still have my stock cat and have the Apexi WS catback so its quiet as far as cat backs go. Maybe harsh was to "harsh" of a word to use. Let me make an anology. I would compair my ride to sleeping on a futon and the stock ride to sleeping on a double pillow top. The futon isnt too bad and still gets the job done, but the double pillow top is like a sleeping on a cloud.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:09 PM
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
yeah but let's face it, it's almost impossible to get decent handling on a max w/o sacrificing some ride comfort. You could try to use performance 15" or 16" wheels/tires, use the stock springs but upgrade to Konis/AGXs, get the front/rear swaybars/tie bars etc.... Those should firm up the handling w/o making the ride to bad.

But I can't stand 15" or 16" wheels anymore. And the 4-gen wheel gap is something out of 4x4 Monthly!

So I ran the 18s and put up with the harsher ride. But It's worth it to me.

I like you mod list too also. Not ricey at all.
Thanks I try not to sacrafice when modding my car. I will sacrafice time to find a better deal, but not quality. Might as well do it once and do it right.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont regret modding my max.. i think a stock max is soo boring..
Old 10-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Dubbya
After driving a bone stock Maxima this weekend, I in some small way regret all of the modifications I have done to mine. I was reminded of what initially drew me to this car. The smooth ride, quiet interior, quiet yet peppy engine, etc. Mine is just the opposite. Harsh ride, rattly interior, louder intake and exhuast. Dont get me wrong I love my car the way it is, but I miss the stock version some days too. Anyone else have the same regrets?

Warner, Shut it you little girl.
Your on Tokico springs and complaining of harshness, bah.
My interior doesnt rattle too bad so thats not an issue, but my ride is a bit harsh riding on Sprints and AGX's but I dont miss the stock ride at all.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah and you have a 3.5L.. Come on Warner stop complaining...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 PM

I have not modified my Max in any way an most likely never will. I am one to appreciate a completely stock and pristine original car. I originally bought my Maxima for just the same reason you mentioned and modifying it to take those reasons out of the equation doesn't make much sense to me. However in the past I have modified many a car, mostly big blocks and such, so modding was out of my system many years ago. Nowadays I just appreciate nice vehicles for what they are. If I were to start modifying cars again I would probably go back to the vintage American cars and be looking around the 450bhp - 675bhp range. On these Maxima gems, to me it is the refinement of the smoothe power and handling that I appreciate. While those old monsters I used to modify were not lacking in pull down a house type power, they were anything but refined to say the least. Besides looking at what car parts cost today it is astonishing to me that so many people put so muc money into their already beautiful cars. I am happy for them if thats what they want to do and even sometimes I think they come out cool but it is not for me anymore. Why not start reverse modding your car then. Shoot for eventually putting it all back it its original glory. You could probably sell off alot of your mods and recoup some of your $ and eventually have her back to smoothe and refined feeling again.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:48 PM

easy solution:

Do not modify your daily driver
Old 10-18-2005, 05:02 PM

I don't miss stock
Old 10-18-2005, 05:34 PM

I have never ridden in a lowered/modified Maxima so I have no basis for comparison.

All I have is a K&N panel filter, FSTB and Budget y-pipe and I intend to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. I may have a 4x4 look running on 15" sawblades, but the SE suspension handles well enough for my liking, the car is a 5-speed, gets the same fuel economy as it did on day 1 and is reasonably fast.

Consequently, if I do anything at all to it, it may just be a RSB to tighten the **** end up.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
THT
Throbbing member

I have never had an iota of regret regarding the many modifications I have done to my car. I love being faster in a straight line and in the curves. The look of my car is a bit more aggressive given the wheels and drop but nothing that screams, "boy racer." I will more than likely continue to modify my future cars though, maybe not to the "extreme" that I've gone with the Maxima.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
brotherhood of tq

i have gc's and i never complain about my ride. it seems some of u guys want the pluses but cant live with any of the compramises that have to be made. and how is a stock intake to loud? i never heard of a stock intake being to loud, 3.5 or not
Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 AM
GrandPa

I have no regrets about modding my ride. Its a little rough driving on some Brooklyn, NY streets. But when I drive down to Florida on I95 its a smooth ride.

MrGone my car is a daily driver with almost 49,000 miles on it and no problems expect for the RSA tires which is in another thread.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm slowly going back to stock because I want that smooth, quiet, luxury sport car feel back.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 AM

i love my car. the sprint/agx combo is a little rough but it doesnt bother me. i love my car even more now bc i took a girl out last night and she loved it. so then so drove it. haha she didnt go easy either. i was cool having some1 drive me car and me ride shotty. wow is it loud from the passangers side. i have no regrets.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 AM
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
Warner, Shut it you little girl.
I can feel the love.

Im not really complaining and I wounldnt undo what I have already done. I love the way my car rides and handles and sounds. However it was refreshing to ride in a bone stock Maxima.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

I didn't like my automatic tranny, i switched to 5 spd.
I didn't like my stock suspension, very boat like, so i switched to S-tech/AGX
I liked the performance, but wanted more, so I got the y-pipe, and soon 00vi/ECU

i loved my stock Maxima, but it is still the same car, and I say if i leave it stock, there's nothing making my car different than any other person's car. it would handle the same, run the same, and essentially be the same car. i mod for a sense of individuality, and because i love tinkering with my car.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by sean05
i took a girl out last night and she loved it.
I'm telling your girlfriend

on topic: I do not regret moding my maximas because I personally do not particularly care for the look of a stock fourth gen max. I think that 3rd gen SE's, and the 5th gen TI edition edition look the best in stock form. I think the second gen SE looks the hottest with only wheels and a drop
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 AM

thats why i love my jic's so much,witht hem set to settign 1 all the way around imo its softer than stock, and ill i get is a lil squish noise over large bumps, u get what u pay for, im glad i went the extra mile this time.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
and ill i get is a lil squish noise over large bumps
Check your underwear ..
Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Maximoneypit

^^^^
Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Its a little rough driving on some Brooklyn, NY streets. But when I drive down to Florida on I95 its a smooth ride.
But for me it's NJ.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM

i dont know about yall but my car is still smooth and quiet even after heavy modding. the quality of my ride is a priority and everything else second.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
easy solution:

Do not modify your daily driver
That's the best way... although everytime I am in my stock 2000 I run into idiots that I wanna blow away or out corner and find myself stuck with the rest of traffic.... but then again guess it keeps me out of trouble.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Play with my balls

"I already gave my best, and thus I have no regrets at all."

Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM

i regret modding the 2k2 HIDS *smile*
Old 10-19-2005, 04:20 PM

I like it soft, but I got eibachs anyways. Not as soft as I wanted but it's alright.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I love lamp.

I don't regret it now that I have a daily driver. My car is getting up there in age, mods aren't help durability much, and has probably accelerated the rate of decreasing life of the car. As long as I have a way to get to work, I have no problem modding my car.

S
Old 10-19-2005, 05:15 PM

boy do i regret modding this car. It wouldn't be bad if i didn't have to drive this car everyday. I have actually been thinking of either selling my car or parting it out. Anyone interested?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM

i'm interested! i want boost seriously!!! why are you at such regrets with your modding?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nope. I HATED the stock / floaty / crappy brakes on my stock 3-gen. All my mods I don't regret at all. But I've tried to make intelligent mods also. ie.. Eibachs vs sprints, Konis vs Tokicos, 2000 max muffler vs some droning aftermarket rice muffler etc......

yeah it rides firm but I don't think it's harsh. But it handles 10x better to. Acceptable trade off IMHO. Plus the brakes.....................

except I still have the crappy stock brakes and I like the Tokicos just fine, even though I am sure the Konis are even better.

One thing I really like about my mods are they are mostly only noticeable when I push the car hard. Most people that ride in my car comment on how nice it rides and how they thought it would be loud with the aftermarket exhaust and intake.

The suspension is a little firmer, but not horrible. I drove to Seattle and back (about 500 miles round trip) in one day and I didn't feel uncomfortable. When I take corners, though, I like how much better it holds the road and doesn't lean. I also have a RSB along with front and rear strut tower braces.

The exhaust I have (GReddy SP) is very quiet until I stomp on the throttle and the same goes for my pop charger. Sometimes I get that loud intake noise, but usually only when I drop the hammer down. Under normal sane conditions all is quiet.

The only mod that gets annoying is the ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel, which I don't really care for much in stop and go driving. Since I live in a small town and don't commute, it is very rare for me to encounter this, anyway. Most of my driving is on back roads and wide open freeways.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I drive my car about 3 times a week and everytime I get on the driver seat, I get to enjoy the pleasure of the performance and handling modification i have done. My car is on the stiff side for the suspension but today i had the chance to push it around the twisties and boy I was blown away. What a thrill and the look on the driver of a 05 Mustang as I stayed on his ***....PRICELESS!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
As long as I have a way to get to work, I have no problem modding my car.

S
Old 10-23-2005, 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=MrGone]easy solution:

i agree, but it's so though

Quick Reply: Modified Maximas