General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Y-pipes and bees . . .
These bees are driving me mad!
26.19%
I got 'em, but I'm willing to pay the price.
23.81%
I like 'em! Where's the honey?
21.43%
Bees? What bees?
28.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Bees in a can . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Y-pipe owners . . .

There's been a lot of talk about the "bees in a can" sound with aftermarket Y-pipes. Here's your chance to express your opinion. Let's find out what we're really dealing with.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Y-pipe owners . . .

It's the flex section of the pipe. If it's leaking or if the maker used a inferior part, it will make this noise. I have an old Cattman unit for the VE. I had to have a shop hack the crappy one off and weld in a quality flex section in. I also had the crappy stock flat flanges cut off and put ball-jointed flanges in. It's much quieter now.

Originally posted by y2kse
There's been a lot of talk about the "bees in a can" sound with aftermarket Y-pipes. Here's your chance to express your opinion. Let's find out what we're really dealing with.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:43 PM

Flex sux . . .

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It's the flex section of the pipe. If it's leaking or if the maker used a inferior part, it will make this noise.
Right, Jeff. I'm aware that the flex section is the culprit. But short of major surgery, what do the rest of you Y-pipe owners think?
Old 05-31-2001, 05:47 PM
Ford Only.

The new WSP one is supposed to be lined to reduce the bees in a can.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
The new WSP one is supposed to be lined to reduce the bees in a can.
WSP Y-pipe owners are invited to participate. We'll sort out which Y-pipe manufacturers are better or worse at eliminating bees later.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:58 PM

Bees in the Can

Yes, Dallas will have a sample along with at the Kansas City meet on Saturday. It just became available. I have been running one for about 500 miles on my 93 SE, very quiet. My guess is that all y-pipes have some noise, even the OE ones, you just don't hear it because of the insulation.Personally even when running the old flex, the performance gains were worth some sound.

Dan
Old 05-31-2001, 06:00 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

WSP

I had a slight case of the bees, but I could only notice it with the windows down and at 3-4000 rpms. I put a little header wrap around it and everything sounds sweet now. Took about oh... 5 minutes at most.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:01 PM

Re: Bees in the Can

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Personally even when running the old flex, the performance gains were worth some sound.

Dan
Guess we know which way you voted, Dan.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:07 PM

Re: WSP

Originally posted by mtrai760
I had a slight case of the bees, but I could only notice it with the windows down and at 3-4000 rpms. I put a little header wrap around it and everything sounds sweet now. Took about oh... 5 minutes at most.
Good response. But what about those of you who haven't made any changes to your Y-pipe . . . no header wrap or new flex sections or new flanges. What do you think?
Old 05-31-2001, 07:36 PM

Hmmmm . . .

Only 9 people have Y-pipes on their Maximas? The rest of you afraid to express your opinions?

C'mon guys. Let's get enough responses to develop some meaningful statistics.

Batter up!
Old 05-31-2001, 07:41 PM

I have the WSP y-pipe and yes, I got the bees in the cans. I emailed Dallas about sending me header wraps for the y-pipe. Well, he haven't got back to me. If I could do it again, I would go with the Cattman instead. And yes, I hate it. It's driving me nuts.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:43 PM

I have a really old version of the Cattman SS y-pipe....It has NO flex section. This monday I am sending it to cattman's manufacturer and they are putting in the "new" flex section for me. Its supposed to be ultra quiet. My exhaust rattles around alot (cause I have the Stillen B-pipe which has less hangers), but I get the bees-in-the-can sound, maybe its the connection to my RT cat, or to the headers? I didn't use any gaskets, because I obtained the y-pipe used....

There's a mouthful, but I appreciate any feedback....

Thanks
Old 05-31-2001, 08:44 PM

Yes, I have a WSP ypipe and it sounds like s h i t. But I emailed dallas and as usual I got a quick response. He said they are making a kit for the problem. Now, I know they messed up on these pipes, but if wsp is willing to correct my pipe, I will continue to buy and praise their products in the future. Thanks for the great service guys.

P.S: MAKE SURE YOU LET US KNOW WHEN THE KITS ARE READY!
Old 05-31-2001, 09:27 PM

Stillen

I just ordered the stillen Y pipe, its the newer version, but how is the bee's in a can sound on this Pipe? would i need to header wrap it before i install?
Old 05-31-2001, 09:37 PM
OG

Damn those infernal bees! I try not to pay attention to it. Like someone stated before, you really only hear i when the window is down. I'm in denial right now cause I wanna say it doesn't bother me that much when in reality it p****s me off. Oh well. I'm not gonna buy another one so I'll have to deal with it.
Old 05-31-2001, 09:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, mine has "bees". I wrapped mine in header wrap which quieted things down a bit. I still get some sound on engine braking after running WOT in 2nd. There's just no way around this sound if you choose to run a aftermarket Y-pipe. The stock Y-pipe has precats, much thicker wall tubing, and a longer flex section.

Dave
Old 05-31-2001, 10:14 PM

Re: Y-pipe owners . . .

I always wondered why bigger engines like V-8's don't ever have that "bees in a can" sound
Originally posted by y2kse
Old 05-31-2001, 10:37 PM

If you believe the results so far . . .

we're evenly divided between those who either hate the bees or are willing to live with them and those who like the bees or say they don't have them at all.

But seriously, is there anyone with a Y-pipe who really LIKES the way the bees sound? Or are some of you just putting us on?

Fess up. It's truth or dare time.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:32 PM

Bees or crickets in a can

I have the WSP SS pipe. Without header wrap, it sounds like crickets in a can. With header wrap, it still sounds like crickets in a can even with my windows up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 11:44 PM

didnt vote, but..

ive got the older stillen one piece y.. i got the odd insects noise.. it doesnt bother me when the windows are up.

i do plan on header wrapping it tho.. if it rusts.. no big deal.. i got it dirt cheap.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:50 PM

i believe that the bees in a can sound comes from having a exhaust so unrestricted your engine cant blow enough wind out.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:07 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

My car needs more sound. Maybe I'll just rig a wastgate blow off valve into my exhaust system.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:16 AM

Anyone else notice . .

an interesting trend developing? If you read the comments in this thread, EVERYONE has the bees (or had the bees before they modified their Y-pipes) and either hates them or is willing to live with them. Yet fully half of the votes cast so far are from people who say they don't have the bees or actually like the way the bees sound. What kind of conclusion should we draw from that?

The challenge remains. If you cast a vote indicating that you like the bees, come out of the closet and tell us why you like them. If you cast a vote stating that you haven't got the bees, tell us how you managed to avoid them. Otherwise, I'm inclined to disregard all of your votes. And I'd encourage others to do the same.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
My car needs more sound. Maybe I'll just rig a wastgate blow off valve into my exhaust system.
So are we to conclude from this that you're the first person who's had the courage to step up and say you actually like the bees?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:10 AM

I have the new Cattman SS with the flex section

I have about 10 bees.

When the windows are down, it is pretty obvious. When the windows are up, it is VERY subtle. If there is any music playing, you can't hear it.

But the thing is, It makes that sound only when I apply throttle. I think the sound goes away in high rpms, like above 4500. And when I try to chug along in a higer gear, it makes the sound.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:22 AM

Re: I have the new Cattman SS with the flex section

Originally posted by ArcticMax
I have about 10 bees.

When the windows are down, it is pretty obvious. When the windows are up, it is VERY subtle. If there is any music playing, you can't hear it.

But the thing is, It makes that sound only when I apply throttle. I think the sound goes away in high rpms, like above 4500. And when I try to chug along in a higer gear, it makes the sound.
Thanks ArcticMax. I'll assume you cast your vote along with those who are willing to live with the bees. So we've still yet to hear from anyone with an unmodified Y-pipe who claims not to have the bees or has the bees and says they actually like the way they sound.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting more suspicious by the minute. Based on the consistency of the comments in this thread, there's only one reasonable conclusion we can draw so far.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:01 AM

15 respondents so far . . .

indicate that they have no bees or actually like their bees, and yet not a single respondent is willing to speak up.

You're losing credibility, guys. If you're not willing to speak up and support your vote, do you really expect us to believe you? Or are you all Y-pipe resellers trying to preserve your market?
Old 06-01-2001, 11:12 AM
Ford Only.

I dont have bees in a can and I have had my Y for about 6 months now.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I dont have bees in a can and I have had my Y for about 6 months now.
At last! Thanks dmontzmax. Anybody else courageous enough to weigh in here?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:09 PM

We've got 35 votes so far . . .

Anyone else care to vote?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bees

I have the Cattman jet hot y-pipe. I've had it since Christmas. The sound my y-pipe makes is a bit more of a hiss than the sound of "bees." I have had many people ask me if I have a supercharger. Because of this, I will say that I like the sound, but it is not an annoying bees sound like it seems a lot of you have. Maybe it is mainly the stillen model with these repercussions.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:07 PM

Well it's a dead heat now . . .

Looks like we're not going to get a consensus. But it was an interesting poll. Let's try another one:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=43284
Old 06-02-2001, 10:14 PM

And the results are . . .

Three out of every four Y-pipe owners has bees. Of those, about one out of three 3 likes the way they sound and two out of three don't. So statistically it appears that if you're going to buy a Y-pipe, you'll end up with that "bees in a can" sound AND you probably won't like it.

Thanks to everyone who participated.