General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pulling ABS/ airbag codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006 | 08:08 PM

Pulling ABS/ airbag codes

Is there any tool or type of scan tool a home mechianic can pick up for cheap to check these whats codes the car is throwing. A nissan consult is way too over priced for a normal person to buy. My OBD2 scanner broke and i'm looking to buy a new one. I figure maybe i can upgrade to a scanner that can pull codes for airbags and ABS as well. I'm thinking there would be none but its best to ask rather then assume. My google searches did nothing.
Old 04-03-2006 | 05:28 AM
JFP in PA

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Is there any tool or type of scan tool a home mechianic can pick up for cheap to check these whats codes the car is throwing. A nissan consult is way too over priced for a normal person to buy. My OBD2 scanner broke and i'm looking to buy a new one. I figure maybe i can upgrade to a scanner that can pull codes for airbags and ABS as well. I'm thinking there would be none but its best to ask rather then assume. My google searches did nothing.
First of all, you cannot buy the new Consult III unless you are a Nissan dealer. There are used/hot II's running around on flea bay and the like; only problem is that you cannot get the software updates for the same reason.

As for an aftermarket unit, Actron makes decent units, their 9145 is a good option for about $200. Aftermarket units can see the codes for airbags and ABS, but most cannot reset the MIL as Nissan has declared these items part of what they call "protected code", which means a Consult is required to reset after repairs are made.......................
Old 04-03-2006 | 12:52 PM

that what i was thinking. i guess its good to keep other people from tampering with ABS and airbags cause it can result in deaths easily.

I was hopeing for a tool to clear it as well. But i'll look into the actron, aleast i can see the codes and know if its anything to be extremely alarmed about.

i'm assuming the one you speak of is this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...718?n=15684181

it doesn't state anything about pulling ABS and airbag codes in particular. I'm assuming you know it does based off personal experience.

edit= i don't think they will nor will i find one period to even scan it.

http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16151&id=17
Old 04-03-2006 | 01:04 PM
JFP in PA

Yes, that is the model I use. I have been able to pull SRS and ABS codes on some cars, but not on all models or years; but if you really want to be sure log to Actron's website, they have a toll free tech line that should be able to tell you what models it will or won't see. They also have software/hardware updates out for this unit as well. Before updating I could not see ABS codes on some newer German cars, now I can. Give them a call, they are very helpful...................
Old 04-03-2006 | 01:18 PM

It shows it can read some GM and Ford ABS/ airbags on the site. I"m not aviable to make a phone call at the moment. i'll probaly give them a ring tomorrow and find out.
Old 04-03-2006 | 02:56 PM

there is a method for pulling ABS codes, its in the Haynes manual.

Cant remember off the top of my head but something like, under 15mins of turning the car off, put key in on position, ground the connector where a scan tool would go (no for ODB2, the dark grey on in the fuse box). and watch the blinking pattern.
Old 04-04-2006 | 04:23 PM

i called today, and i was informed that the actron was not able to get ANY ABS or SRS codes period. Mainly because ABS and SRS are on a diffrent control module where as the CEL are off the ECM. which does make sense but they all tap into the OBD2 ports.

Well it looks like there isn't any budget tool that can do it. I did find something know as a genecis or something going from 1500-3000$
Old 04-05-2006 | 05:10 AM
JFP in PA

These things are never easy, my Actron can read the ABS and airbag codes on my 04, but not on my 97, due to the multiple control units. Even when it can see the codes, most makes use "protected code", which is just another way of forcing you to go to the dealer as even $5,000 units cannot reset the MIL. This is actually a controversy that the FTC is looking at to determine if the real basis for the protected code is to generate dealer fees that the indendant shops cannot get access to..............constraint of trade and all that.......................
Old 04-05-2006 | 05:21 PM

yea i mean, i was thinking that from the get go normally when i do make assumitions like that i'm wrong 95% of the time. Its more or less job security. oh well thanks for any and all the help i got from you guys.
Old 04-06-2006 | 03:24 PM

Well i cleared my faults today with the consult 2 and i learned something. I'm 99% that no other scan tool can clear airbag codes aleast on a 4th gen. There is a diffrnet connector for it. The port i had to use was in the fuse panel right above the OBD 2 port.
Old 04-06-2006 | 03:38 PM
JFP in PA

My 04 allows me to see the codes via the OBD II port with an Actron (or SnapOn or Vertronix, etc.) scanner, but the ABS and Air bag codes cannot be cleared without the use of a Consult (II or III), which transmits a code that allows access to the protected codes area. And because independant shops cannot purchase the Consult, this is exactly why the FTC is looking into this issue..........................