General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What in the world is this GTP thing all about!!!!>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2000, 03:54 PM

WTF, 280lbs of torque 240hp the damn car should run low 14 stock. I am not very impressed at all with that. You can see the modds I have at the bottom of the page. A 40"shot" and full exhaust is about 240hp I am quesing and I have ran 14.2. O you say but the Max is so much lighter, The GTP owner stated its not his falt the Max is not s/c stock. Well, "its not are falt the pontireck is so heavy. Absolutly no comparison. Check this out> I bet my 2000 Ford lightning can take your Chevy s-10 pick up. O ya its not Fords falt that Chevy did not put a s/c on the s-10. Come on man, two diferant cars in every way. I will take my (one of the 10 best engines in the world) trophie over the pontireck GTP. THat is just my opinion though, no offense put at the owner of the GTP. Just voicing my thoughts as did he..
Old 08-24-2000, 04:42 PM

I lost to one

but then again, I don't have that many mods. Lost pretty god too. Ran twice and got the initial jump because he was spinning but he made up that car and more. Quite unhappy because I have to work with thid guy. I had to be a good sport the next day and tell everyone I lost with a smile. Of course if my car were supercharged it would be no contest.
Old 08-24-2000, 05:42 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by 98MAX
WTF, 280lbs of torque 240hp the damn car should run low 14 stock. I am not very impressed at all with that. You can see the modds I have at the bottom of the page. A 40"shot" and full exhaust is about 240hp I am quesing and I have ran 14.2. O you say but the Max is so much lighter, The GTP owner stated its not his falt the Max is not s/c stock. Well, "its not are falt the pontireck is so heavy. Absolutly no comparison. Check this out> I bet my 2000 Ford lightning can take your Chevy s-10 pick up. O ya its not Fords falt that Chevy did not put a s/c on the s-10. Come on man, two diferant cars in every way. I will take my (one of the 10 best engines in the world) trophie over the pontireck GTP. THat is just my opinion though, no offense put at the owner of the GTP. Just voicing my thoughts as did he..
Hello? I don't think you get the point... drive a 2000 maxima off of the lot and a 2000 GTP off of the lot, the GTP will win... so simple of a fact.

Don't you know that your race what you brung and if you lost, then you lost. The concept applies here. The GTP guy very specifically specified the kind of Maxima he wants to race. He also admitted to the fact that a lot of the maxima he raced are probably auto's. You race what you bring...

Now to you example... GTP and the Maxima are in the same market... mid sized "sports" sedan. There is no law that said you can't use FI to increase power. Bottom line, GTP stock will beat Maxima stock. Why argue the facts?

-Shing
Old 08-24-2000, 06:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

The GTP is a big BOAT! It is alot heavier than the MAXIMA.

Old 08-24-2000, 06:22 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Shingles
Hello? I don't think you get the point... drive a 2000 maxima off of the lot and a 2000 GTP off of the lot, the GTP will win... so simple of a fact.

Don't you know that your race what you brung and if you lost, then you lost. The concept applies here. The GTP guy very specifically specified the kind of Maxima he wants to race. He also admitted to the fact that a lot of the maxima he raced are probably auto's. You race what you bring...

Now to you example... GTP and the Maxima are in the same market... mid sized "sports" sedan. There is no law that said you can't use FI to increase power. Bottom line, GTP stock will beat Maxima stock. Why argue the facts?

-Shing
Hello!?! Again you don't have proof that a 5spd 2k Maxima will not beat a GTP. The #'s are right there with each other. Who knows?! The TRAP SPEED of a 2k is 94-95 mph STOCK, GTP around the same. But the GTP is extremly heavy.

Old 08-24-2000, 10:32 PM

Shing-->

Have you seen these GTP's at the track? I saw the better part of DC's chapter of the GTP club one night and they were all over the place, best I saw was 13.99!! WOW! I know that's fast and I don't even kid myself that I can keep up with that (w/ a SC I could is besides the fact). BUT many were in the mid to high 14's and some in the mid to low 15's! I am RIGHT in the middle of all that and I'm not one to deny when a car is faster but the real fact is that the Max is a contender. In real world driving the GTP may be a bit quicker but I've seen with my own eyes that from a line, with a good launch I can take out a stock GTP...WITHOUT a blower and with 30% less displacement, I think that's fantastic.

It's similar to the feeling I get when driving the Si and being able to run with much bigger 4's and some 6's. I guess I just love playing the underdog, the one with the cards stacked against him and still be able to come out ahead. Yet there's still no shame in losing b/c hey odds were against me to begin with. I guess that's why both of the cars I drive have smaller but WELL designed engines for their class, a 3 liter V6 is not very big and neither is a 1.6 I4 but the VQ and the B16 are world renouned for the performance they achieve.

[Edited by sprung on 08-25-2000 at 08:34 AM]
Old 08-24-2000, 10:59 PM

Before making a statement either way, you have to specify for the Max to be an auto or a stick. Andi beat a GTP from a roll on in his 98' SE 100% stock. But, he has a stick and the GTP only comes with an auto. If it was auto vs. auto, then the GTP would have the upper hand. Given this, a 2K 5-speed driven off the showroom floor should beat a GTP. An auto will still lose to it.

Now look at both cars modded. The hot setup on GTPs is run run a much smaller drive pulley and add water injection to prevent detonation. With this setup, there are a lot of low 14' GTPs. There are only a small handful capable of breaking in to the 13's. If you look at the dynos of these high boost cars, they will make tremendous amounts of low end torque(320+ lb-ft at the wheels), but even the most powerful only peak at about 260 hp at the wheels and don't rev like a VQ. This is just the way the roots supercharger they use works. As a result, the fastest ones usually have great 60' times, but few are capable of breaking 100 mph on the other end. A Max with a good blower or NOS setup won't keep up off the line. But with more top end power and less weight, it can have the opportunity to chase them down.
Old 08-25-2000, 12:11 AM

Once I raced a GTP looking one but with GTX(?) badge in my GS400, he was right there with me. So I dunno if Max is gonna take them stock.
But again, my GS400 is a slow piece of **** since NA auto Max with bolt-ons is suppose to kick the **** out of it according to my buddy Jim W.
Muahahaha
Old 08-25-2000, 05:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm always amazed how loyal people are with their cars. The GTP is a quick car no doubt about it. Its supercharged guys. Yes it will take a max. Now say you put a bad driver in the Pontiac and a good driver in the max... anythings possible.

You have to ask yourself. Why did you buy the Max? To have the fastest car around? Not me... the thing with the Max is it's a <i>practical</i> car, the pontiac is a <i>practical</i> car. The major problem with the pontiac is the same one the sho guys run into. THEY AREN'T RELIABLE. The Maxima is a better made car IMHO. If you're after the fastest car around, you've made a bad choice. You could have bought a Firebird for alot less and be able to beat all the 4 door family cars. Anyhow what's the point? My cars faster then your car.... "Nah nah nah nah...."

Now about those <i>unpractical</i> suv's....

The "guy"
Old 08-25-2000, 10:12 AM

MAX VS GTP

A 95 Max with a 5Sp.Ran zero to 60 in 6.6 the same as the GTP,But the GTP out gunned the MAX in the 1/4 mile it posted a 15.0/92.3,and the max was catching up with 15.2/92.4.So neither is really faster then the other, it is all up to the drivers.One thing is for sure I would smoke a stock GTP with my mods.

Old 08-25-2000, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Wizeguy
...You could have bought a Firebird for alot less and be able to beat all the 4 door family cars...
Not true, it might not beat the M5 and E55 likes, let alone all the RENNtech tuned Benz.
Btw, the RENNtech CLK60, 0-60 in 4sec and 12.4 in quarter miles, get from 0 to 150mph 2 sec faster than a Viper GTS, now that's called travel in style
Old 08-25-2000, 01:25 PM

Okay, you got him..

Okay Woody, you got him on that...But really, how many Benz E55s, Renntechs, and BMW M5s do you see around? So in most cases, an F-body will beat just about any other sedan. 'Cept maybe a GS300 with a turbo kit.hehe
Old 08-25-2000, 01:25 PM
RussMaxManiac

I'm always amazed how loyal people are with their cars. The GTP is a quick car no doubt about it. Its supercharged guys. Yes it will take a max. Now say you put a bad driver in the Pontiac and a good driver in the max... anythings possible.

Now about those <i>unpractical</i> suv's....

The "guy"
Umm what? Yes AUTO MAXIMA 2K VS GTP it will loose, 5SPD MAXIMA vs GTP, GTP will loose. That is a fact.

WoodEAR, GTX is like a SLP package on the GrandPrix with a few other mods, but it will not hang with a GS400 without major mods.

Old 08-25-2000, 01:29 PM
RussMaxManiac

Some specs between both vehicles....

Per MT Magazine

GTP
0-60 6.7 SEC
1/4 15.1 AT 90.8 MPH

2K MAXIMA SE 5spd
0-60 6.7 SEC
1/4 15.1 AT 94.4 MPH

Maxima has advantage

Old 08-25-2000, 01:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

A stock GTP vs stock 5 speed 4th/5th gen Max is gonna be close. It was always real close when I was stock. Now after adding the y-pipe, intake, and exhaust the stock GTPs stand no chance against me. I've raced a handful stock GTPs since modding my car and the outcome is ALWAYS the same. Off the line it's always close to 40mph, but when that GTP hits 2nd it's power starts to fall off and this is where I easily pass them. By 3rd gear I'm walking them pretty good. From a highway race, the stock GTP has no advantange. All it's power is focused on the it's 0-70mph. Even pullied GTPs have problem on the topend. That's just my experience.

Handling wise, the GTP feels very bulky and plows quite a bit. The Maxima feels much lighter and turns with much more control and poise. The GTP is the drag sedan and the Maxima is the sporty sedan.

For a lightly modded 3.0 liter DOHC V6 sedan to be able to hit mid 90mph traps and mid-14 second performance is quite a feat and many ignorant people don't believe it can be done. To be able to run low 14s with a SC 3.8 V6 is very nice, but it doesn't take quite the skill nor is it that impressive considering the setup of the engine.

Dave
Old 08-25-2000, 02:00 PM

Shing, I love ya man (not like that you perverts), but when you say it's a fact that a stock GTP will beat a stock maxima, I'm wondering what definition of fact you're using...
Old 08-25-2000, 03:22 PM

Re: Okay, you got him..

Originally posted by Black VQ
Okay Woody, you got him on that...But really, how many Benz E55s, Renntechs, and BMW M5s do you see around? So in most cases, an F-body will beat just about any other sedan. 'Cept maybe a GS300 with a turbo kit.hehe

CLK60 I never saw. M5 and E55 I see them everytime I go to 47th Street in NYC, the most common cars on that street is pre'99 S600.
Old 08-25-2000, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
...You could have bought a Firebird for alot less and be able to beat all the 4 door family cars...
Not true, it might not beat the M5 and E55 likes, let alone all the RENNtech tuned Benz.
Btw, the RENNtech CLK60, 0-60 in 4sec and 12.4 in quarter miles, get from 0 to 150mph 2 sec faster than a Viper GTS, now that's called travel in style
You missed my point.

My point was that there are always faster cars out there. Find a car you like and what was Nissans old slogan? Oh ya "Enjoy the ride".

Thats all.
Old 08-25-2000, 08:18 PM

I didn't miss your point, I said this long time ago myself, that anyone with a new Maxima could have bought a Mustand or TA instead for the same money if they want speed.

I just didn't agree Firdbird can spank all sedans that's all. On a side note, sedans are really getting much faster now days, the new 7 series will have 400+hp, Audi A8 will have twin turbo V8, before you know they will be spanking Vette left and right
Old 08-28-2000, 07:47 PM

Re: MAX VS GTP

Originally posted by emax95
But the GTP out gunned the MAX in the 1/4 mile it posted a 15.0/92.3,and the max was catching up with 15.2/92.4.So neither is really faster then the other

One thing is for sure I would smoke a stock GTP with my mods.

A 15.0 is not faster than a 15.2? Am I missing something here? One sentence you give the numbers showing a GTP is faster, the next you say neither is faster than the other.

You guys must be getting a hell of alot from your intake and exhaust mods. And you have run a 14what at the strip? Do it, and then talk about smoking stock GTP's.....until then, I dont think so.

Later,
Old 08-28-2000, 08:15 PM

GTPguy97

what's you're comment on the multiple GTP's I saw running, 15.0, 15.3, 15.5...bad auto drivers?
Old 08-28-2000, 08:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ain't much skill to launching an automatic buddy..

I've NEVER seen a stock GTP tested to run anything quicker than 15.0. Most GTPs are tested to run 15.1-15.2@91-92. The quickest Max I've seen tested is a 15.1@94mph and most are in the 15.2-15.3 range at 91-93mph. Yes, some GTPs have hit 14s stock, but there are Maxs that have done the same.

You GTP guys need to get a few things straight. Most Maxima drivers could care less about going fast. There are probably 15 drivers in here that actually go to the track where as there are probably over 100-150 of GTP owners going to the track regurarly. Point is, it's different strokes for different folks. Max drivers are wanna-be BMW/Benz drivers where as the GTP folks are wanna-be muscle car owners. Therefore more GTP owners are going to the track and coughing up better ets. Most people would never consider modding a Max to go fast. Most think "why, it's a Maxima?". They look at it's subtle appearance and good performance and say "it's plenty fast, it's a family car". They don't want a louder exhaust, intake, y-pipe, and so on. The GTP on the otherhand has aggressive looks and is marketed to young, NASCAR watching, hardcore American boys. It's a 4-door muscle car. It follows the muscle car tradition. Decent handling, big powerful engine, easy to modify, torque, and strong acceleration. The Maxima is geared more towards sporty handling, 5 speed gear box, silky and linear powerplant, light weight, and good brakes.
Both car perform closely when stock. A 3.5 pullied GTP will have a hard time shaking a modded Max 5 speed (I/E/y-pipe). Once you start adding 3.25 and lower pullies, lots of exhaust work, headers and such and the Max becomes a memory. While there are Maxima 5 speeds hitting lower 14s with basic mods and drag tires, it's still not gonna overtake a car putting down 320+ ft/lbs of torque and 280+hp. It is very easy for a GTP to hit 13s with about $800 in mods. For the Max to do that it will take a SC or NOS. There is one Max S/C 5 speed that is running 13.3s which is much better than almost ALL heavily modded GTPs. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Dave
Old 08-28-2000, 08:29 PM

Here's how I'd put it. To me a GTP is like bud ice. It's cheap, it's strong, it's made in the US, and if you want to get drunk fast, it's a good bet. A Maxima is more like an imported english ale. It's not champagne, but at least it comes in a bottle and doesn't taste like **** in a can.

Let's just say my refridgerator has never had the (dis)pleasure of meeting a can of budweiser
Old 08-28-2000, 08:34 PM

Re: Ain't much skill to launching an automatic buddy..

I meant that sarcastically...of course there's no skill in driving an auto. You could put a brick on the pedal and just aim the car straight...that's why I'd like an explanation for the mid 15sec runs I've seen?
Old 08-28-2000, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by deathwish

Here's how I'd put it. To me a GTP is like bud ice. It's cheap, it's strong, it's made in the US, and if you want to get drunk fast, it's a good bet. A Maxima is more like an imported english ale. It's not champagne, but at least it comes in a bottle and doesn't taste like **** in a can.

Let's just say my refridgerator has never had the (dis)pleasure of meeting a can of budweiser
Muhahahahaha, you have talent, really!!
Old 08-29-2000, 05:49 AM

Well even it up, then...

In 0-60, the SC'd GTP runs a 6.4 at the lowest, only .2 secs faster than a '95 5sp Max SE. Both times were from Motor Trend.

Okay, but how about we even this up a bit? NA GT(No Pee in there.hehe), vs an NA Max. No contest! The NA Pontiac still makes more power(5hp advantage), but I imagine it's 0-60 is in the 7s somewhere, and the Max is running the same 6.6.

But what if the Max is SC'd just like the GTP? Again, no contest. An SC'd Max can hit 60 in 5.9 secs. The GTP would need a few mods just to make the same power(about 280) as the Max. And this is a 4th gen. With an SC'd 5th gen making more power than a GS400(307hp for the Max), it's goodbye Pontiac...
Old 08-29-2000, 06:21 AM
is invisible

So it's "fair" that the GTP has an SC, but...

it's not fair that the Max comes in 5-spd? What's it gonna be?
Old 08-29-2000, 09:12 AM

no offence deathwish but...

thats the stupidest saying i have heard in my life...

hahahaha

Originally posted by deathwish