General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dammit! Things never go right for me! Today, I try to put on my new Tantrums. Everything went smoothly until I try to put on the last two rims. Anyway, I couldn't take off the McGard lock nut that I had on there. The key is messed up, plus the lock nut itself is messed up. And I thought they were supposed to be strong. Is there anyway for me to remove the darn lock nut off without the key? Here's what the stupid lock nut look like:

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/wheellock_glow.gif

Even if I get a new key, I'm not totally certain it will come off. ****! Why things like these always happen to me?! Please tell me there's a way to take the stupid lock nut off. I would really appreciate the help.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:31 PM

I had this happen to me once, I lost my lock though. I took my car to a tire shop and they used a hot chissle to get the nuts off. The shop charged me $30.

Another do it youself idea is to try to use a cold chisle to get it off. In case you are not familiar with these methods, a hot chissle is a electric Chissle and a cold chisle is just a regular chissle and a hammer. So what you do is get out your chisle and hamer and put the chissle on a angle in which you want the nut to turn and bang it with the hammer. After a few bangs you will get a small groove on the nut which you can then bang away at . Good luck and remember if worst comes to worst a shop can do it in a few minutes for you.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:33 PM

Thanks emax. I might as well try it, I am running out of ideas.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:57 PM

I thought better of it and decided to not to chisle. The lock nut itself doesn't look too bad. So, I'm going to try just order another key and hopefully that will take care of it. If the problem still persists, I'll try that chisle thing again.