General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Alright Ive made up my mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:03 PM

Re: Hey ericwong

Originally posted by kineshi1
Dude ill buy that cattman Y off of u, good luck with the camry...lol...this is the wrong place to flame a maxima, esp with such retarded comments...but seriously i want the Y
Whats all this about camry? Yes its a better car in some aspects, but no i do not want one...that too is a 4 door FWD family sedan. comments retarted? How? I'm not coming in here and saying "all these cars suck, I've never dealt with the competition and I dont drive what I'm talkin about either..." Im saying what I am saying based on owning the maxima for over a year, puting over 25,000 miles on it, while also having a camry to compare to.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:25 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Bill...

Originally posted by CoolMax
your humor is lame.
Yes, it may be, but it's sadly rooted in truth. Just look at carnal_c30's response at the bottom of page 2......

Max is a good all-around car, but is not the end-all be-all of cars as some here think.....
Old 06-26-2001, 05:40 AM

im not too keen on ericdwong history but... did you even bother test driving the car before you bought it ?
it seems to be like you just bought it and then said oops
Old 06-26-2001, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmm...

Wanna sell me your yellow top? E-Mail me..

Del
Old 06-26-2001, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright I know I go thru this about once a month, but this one really set it in stone. I also know I'm gonna get flamed but here goes anyway. I had to pay 1/2 my auto insurance today and it was $600 for full coverage for 6 months. Dear lord, thats almost $2400 a year... and to be honest I feel I'm not gonna pay this much money for a car that I dont really enjoy.

I haven't read the rest of the posts but your math is AFU.

The rear suspension really blows, even with a RSB and FSTB on bumpy turns the car gets alotta lateral jerks and kicks. Even consumer reports in the report on the 98 said that bumpy roads produced rubbery side to side kicks.
I also drove my mom's 98 camry v6 (yes another FWD sedan) the other day, and that car is built 20x better and holds its value alot better then our car does, and its got a real suspension! Ontop of that, they have a factory backed supercharger thats $1000 cheaper then we do!

Anyway, I want something that is more fun to drive. I know alotta these factors wont be combined but I want RWD, stick, decent reliablity, power to run at least 15s in the 1/4 and smoke the tires, low depreciation, room for at least 2 15" subs in hatch/trunk, sunroof/t tops/convertable, good build quality, INDEPENDENT suspension, 2 or 4 seater doesnt matter, 2 or 4 door also doesnt matter, but i'm leaning towards 2 this time, and something that will be worth it to insure (and fuel)!

Potential candidates I thought of are c5 corvette, Honda S2000.... any other suggestions?
Wow. If you don't like the Max, so be it but you sound like you didn't know what the fork you wanted when you dropped >$20k on a new car. If you wanted all of those things when you bought your car and you could afford an S2000 or a Vette, why the hell did you get a family sedan? Your post makes absolutely no sense. You are whining about paying a couple of grand for insurance (actually $1200), but you are going to pay 2x as much for another car so your insurance is cheaper. On top of that, the insurance on the cars on your short list would probably be triple that of the Max. I need some of those drugs you're taking.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:10 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Damn, he pays TWICE the insurance I do. I'm a 23 year old guy with two speeding tickets and one "not at fault" accident in the last year.

I guess I'm just lucky.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by greggmax

Wow. If you don't like the Max, so be it but you sound like you didn't know what the fork you wanted when you dropped >$20k on a new car. If you wanted all of those things when you bought your car and you could afford an S2000 or a Vette, why the hell did you get a family sedan?
I've been asking myself the same question. I thought the max was a good sport car in disguise.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. You are whining about paying a couple of grand for insurance (actually $1200), but you are going to pay 2x as much for another car so your insurance is cheaper. On top of that, the insurance on the cars on your short list would probably be triple that of the Max. I need some of those drugs you're taking.
Funny cause I have been doing insurance price shopping. A 98 Z28 (LS1) CONVERTABLE costs $100 more to insure with the same coverage (250/500/100 liab, 500 deduct collision, 0 deduct comprehensive) and the same company. Very odd too, cause my motorcycle coverage is only $500 a year with $250/500/100 liablity, 250 collision and $50 comprehensive. The Maxima is just flat out expensive to insure around this area, probably cause alot of them are stolen and they did not so well in the crash test ratings. I'm whining because I am not getting my bang for my buck when it comes to insuring this vehicle. You cant tell me for almost the same amount of money a maxima is more fun to drive then a RWD, high torque z28 LS1.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hmmm

This whole insurance thing gets me a little, too. I pay way too much and am much awaiting my 25th birthday. However, before I bought the Maxima I owned a 99 Mustang V-6 w/190 hp. I was curious to see what this did to my insuarance, and going from that car to a 4 door Maxima caused my insurance to go up $40/ year. Considering the Max is much more expensive ($7,000+ more) and has 32 more horsepower, I thought that that was just fine...aside from the fact that I was paying too much to start with....
Old 06-26-2001, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong

I've been asking myself the same question. I thought the max was a good sport car in disguise.

Funny cause I have been doing insurance price shopping. A 98 Z28 (LS1) CONVERTABLE costs $100 more to insure with the same coverage (250/500/100 liab, 500 deduct collision, 0 deduct comprehensive) and the same company. Very odd too, cause my motorcycle coverage is only $500 a year with $250/500/100 liablity, 250 collision and $50 comprehensive. The Maxima is just flat out expensive to insure around this area, probably cause alot of them are stolen and they did not so well in the crash test ratings. I'm whining because I am not getting my bang for my buck when it comes to insuring this vehicle. You cant tell me for almost the same amount of money a maxima is more fun to drive then a RWD, high torque z28 LS1.
I just don't understand why you would consider spending $20k more on a car to save a grand on insurance. Of course driving a Max is not as much fun as a Z28, but you listed 'dependable' as one of your criteria. If you don't need the room of a 4 door, get a sports car, not a sporty car.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmmm....you're getting out of your "junk" Max to buy a 98 Z28. Let me tell you a little story about a guy who use to own a Z28......ME!!!!!

Back in 96, I bought a barely used 94 Z28 auto (12K miles). Being smart and knowing the reliability of these cars, I bought a extended warranty. Over 3 years of ownership, I replaced:

-the whole AC
-rear seal twice
-differential seal
-differential plug
-turn signal stalk
-lower control arm ball joint
-intake manifold gasket

Comestic problems included windows that were coming off thier tracks. Moldings that were pulling from the body. The plastic door panels started unglueing from the metal door frame. Rattles were a huge problem. Chassis thunks and bangs happened all the time. I told people my car wasn't truely screwed together, but instead the parts were flying together in a "tight formation". It took me over two years to calm down all the rattles in the car. When I traded it in on my Maxima, the ignition (Optispark aka Opticrap) was starting to go making the car hestitate and surge. The F-Body is an incredibly hard car to trouble shoot. Often you end up replacing 5 different parts before you replace the failing one. The F-Body is far from reliable or well built. This was the major factor in why I got rid of it.

If you are looking for an convertible LS1, you'll be buying the slowest of the breed (low 14s). If you truely want the quickest one, you should look at a hardtop AUTO LS1. Yes, AUTO. The autos are far more reliable and they are by far the quickest, not the fastest, LS1s out there. There are plenty of AUTO guys running 12s with high stall converters, drag radials, and exhaust.

F-Body? I wouldn't recommend it.

My Maxima, being 5 years old and owned by me for 2.3 years has had two problems. My passenger window won't go all the way down and I got had to personally fix my evap. control valve with some WD40. That's all. No rattles.

Dave
Old 06-26-2001, 11:36 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Dave B
Hmmmm....you're getting out of your "junk" Max to buy a 98 Z28. Let me tell you a little story about a guy who use to own a Z28......ME!!!!!

Back in 96, I bought a barely used 94 Z28 auto (12K miles). Being smart and knowing the reliability of these cars, I bought a extended warranty. Over 3 years of ownership, I replaced:

-the whole AC
-rear seal twice
-differential seal
-differential plug
-turn signal stalk
-lower control arm ball joint
-intake manifold gasket

Comestic problems included windows that were coming off thier tracks. Moldings that were pulling from the body. The plastic door panels started unglueing from the metal door frame. Rattles were a huge problem. Chassis thunks and bangs happened all the time. I told people my car wasn't truely screwed together, but instead the parts were flying together in a "tight formation". It took me over two years to calm down all the rattles in the car. When I traded it in on my Maxima, the ignition (Optispark aka Opticrap) was starting to go making the car hestitate and surge. The F-Body is an incredibly hard car to trouble shoot. Often you end up replacing 5 different parts before you replace the failing one. The F-Body is far from reliable or well built. This was the major factor in why I got rid of it.

If you are looking for an convertible LS1, you'll be buying the slowest of the breed (low 14s). If you truely want the quickest one, you should look at a hardtop AUTO LS1. Yes, AUTO. The autos are far more reliable and they are by far the quickest, not the fastest, LS1s out there. There are plenty of AUTO guys running 12s with high stall converters, drag radials, and exhaust.

F-Body? I wouldn't recommend it.

My Maxima, being 5 years old and owned by me for 2.3 years has had two problems. My passenger window won't go all the way down and I got had to personally fix my evap. control valve with some WD40. That's all. No rattles.

Dave
I still contend that rattles/poorer quality only particularly plague the 97 to 99 Maximas, as I just rarely hear of such issues with the 95 to 96 models.....

"De-contenting" #3 is what no longer made the Max a "flagship" IMHO.

De-contenting #1: 92 to 94 Maximas
De-contenting #2: 95 to 96 Maximas
De-contenting #3(the worst cost-cutting): 97 to 99 Maximas
Old 06-26-2001, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want cheap insurance, look into a Ford product. My g/f's mom has an Explorer and when they set up the insurance on it, their agent commented that Fords are the cheapest of all brands to insure. They didn't ask about the details as to why that is, but I thought I would pass that along.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:09 PM

Because they know you will spend the saved money on repairs?

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
If you want cheap insurance, look into a Ford product. My g/f's mom has an Explorer and when they set up the insurance on it, their agent commented that Fords are the cheapest of all brands to insure. They didn't ask about the details as to why that is, but I thought I would pass that along.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

haha
"hmm very funny... this has to be the most unique response to a car being more quiet... "I like the sound more" -Shingles

I'm serious about the maxima sound, it sounds great... and i know the maxima isnt M3 material... but honestly in my point of view, the benefits of a max outweigh those of the camry... yes even the tomblike interior i thought eric comparing the max to the camry... yes the 4th gen has sum sh**ty rear susp, but over all it puts it together very nicely in my point of view... and being 18, i wont say i have more driving experience than all of y'all... but i have more than alot of you might expect... i grew up in Asia, where the legal limit for driving is having 500 Thai baht or knowing the right names in Taiwan... I've driven M3s Ferrari's Porsches, Range Rovers.... you name it and i wont say that this makes me the 'judge' as i was too young to fully appreciate driving an M3 at age 13... but i have driven a camry, a 96 Camry Cpe V6, and the 98 Camry LE V6... and my impression of the 96 is alot better than the 98, thats why i flamed bout the camry cuz the way the 98 handled, it just didnt give me a comfortable impression, it was too sloppy, it was just not confidence inspiring
and the TRD camry? i dont recall it getting specs of it doing 0-60s in less than 6.9 that was for the Solara
and yea my GXE 5spd could atleast match that or better it
and build quality... yes the quality of materials isnt up to the snuff of the camry... but i've had no problems with my car (probably cuz it was a GXE with NOTHING in it)no rattle no ashtray probs, nothing...

I didnt mean to **** you off, but the way u attacked max just seemed unfair... i'm sure all of us could've owned a camry for the prices of our Max... there has to be something bout the max to make us all go the same way... and i'm sure higher than 90% of the members love their maximas... yea the suspension isnt the same caliber as the camry, but the tuning of the suspension is alot better from my experience... and put together, the rear beam axle doesnt significantly detract from the driving experience in my view... if you go ahead and buy an LS1 Camaro.. u got a live rear axle... whats with suspension tech there? you have a truck axle back there... y complainin about a minivan susp... ...
and that doesnt mean the F-bodies arent capable performers... for $4500 or so you can take an Fbodi to MTI motorsports and u'll drive away with a 420+ hp 0-60 in 4.5 annd a live axle that pulls .98 Gs... hows that for the archaic live axle?
just my point of view... for the price, the maxima is a great car, and for me... $900 of insurance makes it even sweeter and thats from AAA (btw can use WD40 to get rid of the horrible AAA sticker that my sister so ungraciously slapped on the *** of my car?)
Old 06-29-2001, 06:16 AM
The missing moderator

alright people, threads going to be locked... this is getting kinda out of hand. The guy just said he doesn't want to own a maxima anymore and you folks just attack the guy.