General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

you know that smell when you get new exhaust work done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 06:27 PM

well... the past few days i have been driving my moms GS300 because i just put sprints on my car and i dont wanna drive it till i get it aligned, but you know that smell from new exhaust work, i get it in my moms car after flooring it. if i just floor it from one stop sign for 30 yards, the smell will pop right out which seems to be coming from the front of the car.. i know its not really maxima related, but im sure you guys might know whats going on. thanks
Old 06-28-2001, 07:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by _DRU_
well... the past few days i have been driving my moms GS300 because i just put sprints on my car and i dont wanna drive it till i get it aligned, but you know that smell from new exhaust work, i get it in my moms car after flooring it. if i just floor it from one stop sign for 30 yards, the smell will pop right out which seems to be coming from the front of the car.. i know its not really maxima related, but im sure you guys might know whats going on. thanks

The smell you are describing is burning oil. Make a visual check of under the hood to see if there is any oil touching the exaust manifold or Y-Pipe. She may have a small oil leak that only pops up when you punch it at full throttle. Another idea is to stop the car real quick when the smell occurs and see if you can find were the smoke is comming from.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by emax95

The smell you are describing is burning oil. Make a visual check of under the hood to see if there is any oil touching the exaust manifold or Y-Pipe. She may have a small oil leak that only pops up when you punch it at full throttle. Another idea is to stop the car real quick when the smell occurs and see if you can find were the smoke is comming from.
thanks emax95, i'll check tomorrow, just on a side note, her car is completely stock and it isnt a daily driver. it is driven about 2-3 times a month. could this affect it some how? thanks
Old 06-28-2001, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks emax95, i'll check tomorrow, just on a side note, her car is completely stock and it isnt a daily driver. it is driven about 2-3 times a month. could this affect it some how? thanks
Not sure really? But if you drive it on 2 consecutive days and the problem is still there I whould have to say no, proabably not.

Another place that may be the problem whould be the throttle body. If you feel like Mr fix then check to see if there is oil there, if there is then the problem is a clogged PCV Valve. A PCV Valve may be more prone to becoming clogged if the car is not driven much, I am not really sure though, just a guess.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:10 PM
PhatGuy

Funny you mentioned this... I just had a Y-pipe put on today and I had the smell for a bit. I think it might just be something on the upgraded pipe burning off ie oil grease from the mechanic doing the job.. etc... Did the car also have an oil change very recently? As someone else said it could be burning oil that is getting heated up. Worse case could be a leak but what do I know??

Old 06-28-2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Funny you mentioned this... I just had a Y-pipe put on today and I had the smell for a bit. I think it might just be something on the upgraded pipe burning off ie oil grease from the mechanic doing the job.. etc... Did the car also have an oil change very recently? As someone else said it could be burning oil that is getting heated up. Worse case could be a leak but what do I know??

it hasnt had an oil chage recently. i will try and look over her car real good tomorrow, if anything does seem weird or off, i'll try and resolve the problem, get ready to answer more questions tomrrow