General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

new brakes - now squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2000, 06:30 AM

just replaced my front rotors and pads. Now however, I get a very annoying squeal. Not all the time just about when I'm about to stop or when applying light pressure. At other times, when first starting up and mostly when backing up, I get more of a grunt or groan sound. The latter is not near as often as the squeal. Oh, the pads I purchased DID have an anti-squeal coating already applied. The car is for sale in FL if anyone is interested. 95 Max GLE bone stock.
Old 08-25-2000, 06:46 AM
Banned

Did you do the work?..>

or someone else. Somethings that you should check.

1. The are two wires that clip to the outside of the pads, they pull the pads off the rotor when you let off the brake
pedal...The calipers will have to be pulled up to see if they are there. One on the top and the other at the bottom.

2. Did you use anti-squeal(colored grease) on the back of the pads between the shim and the back of the pad? This keeps the metal parts quiet under braking.
Old 08-25-2000, 10:06 AM

Check the kind of pads you have. Most cheap semi-metallic pads, Axxis Metal Masters(horrible on the Max) and Performance Friction(horrible on the Saleen) pads will squeel at times. Look for a performance organinic like the Axxis/PBR Deluxes or a Kevlar pad like the Hawks as a better replacement and you will never get a squeel again.
Old 08-25-2000, 10:21 AM

Did you use stock pads and shims. I've heard of cases where if you use new brake pads without the new shims that comes with them, they will end up squealing. Also, it is possible to install certain parts backwards, which might also cause squealing.

Old 08-25-2000, 10:24 AM
Matt_P

Re: Did you do the work?..>

Originally posted by Jeff K
or someone else. Somethings that you should check.

1. The are two wires that clip to the outside of the pads, they pull the pads off the rotor when you let off the brake
pedal...The calipers will have to be pulled up to see if they are there. One on the top and the other at the bottom.

2. Did you use anti-squeal(colored grease) on the back of the pads between the shim and the back of the pad? This keeps the metal parts quiet under braking.
Are those two little wires really nessary? EBC Green stuff pads don't have those little holes to put the wires in. Therefore I am not using them. Won't the pads naturally float(be repelled) away from the rotor when they heat up? (when not actually braking).

Matt P.