General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima(s) to GS400 to Maxima to TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Maxima(s) to GS400 to Maxima to TSX

Guys, I am outta here. Over the years I have thoroughly enjoyed and loved these forums, primarily the 5th Gen section where I spent most of my days. I am now a non-nissan owner, and Iwill miss this place. Many many of you have helped me over the years and I must say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Below is a post I just made on acuraworld.com. I thought I would share my feelings on the current state of Nissan and their products. I don't post this to offend anyone or to get anyone fired up. This is simply my current opinion. Best wishes to each and every one of you.

So I sold my 4th maxima a few months ago (a 2001 SE 5 speed) and bought a used Lexus GS 400. I had that car for about 3 months and ended up totaling it. As a rental I got a new 2007 Maxima SE. A few days ago I bought my 2004 TSX 6 speed. I must say, I am completely blown away. I bought the car on ebay, and drove it back from PA (I live in Atlanta) and was honestly disappointed when I got home that the trip was over so soon. This car is an absolute blast to drive. Yes, my GS 400 would blow the doors off the TSX on a 0 - 60 run, but you only do that so many times. This car is agile, handles awesome and is rock solid at 100 MPH on the highway. The ride is much firmer and bumpier than the Lex, but I prefer the agility of the TSX no matter the stiffer ride.

The rental 2007 Maxima was a good car, but it did not feel solid at all on the highway as my previous maximas did. The new maxima felt downright dangerous over 80 MPH. (not that traveling faster than that is remotely "safe" but compared to my 2001 SE that car seemed to be more glued to the road the faster you went) I read in an auto rag that Carlos Ghosn was being very tight fisted and instituting many cut backs throughout the Nissan family. Never did I think they would cut back on the Maxima, their flagship. But sadly that is very apparent in many different arenas on the 6th generation Max. The maxima just flat ain't what it used to be at all.

I have had Hondas and Acuras in the past, and I am really excited about this car and being back to owning a Honda product. Now, let me excuse myself as I need to go find somewhere to drive to.

RY
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by 00gxe5sp

The rental 2007 Maxima was a good car, but it did not feel solid at all on the highway as my previous maximas did. The new maxima felt downright dangerous over 80 MPH. (not that traveling faster than that is remotely "safe" but compared to my 2001 SE that car seemed to be more glued to the road the faster you went) I read in an auto rag that Carlos Ghosn was being very tight fisted and instituting many cut backs throughout the Nissan family. Never did I think they would cut back on the Maxima, their flagship. But sadly that is very apparent in many different arenas on the 6th generation Max. The maxima just flat ain't what it used to be at all. RY
As an '07 (AND '87, '95, '96, '00, '03) SE owner/lessee, I could not agree with you more. As you noted, the '07 is a very nice car and there is much that I do like about it, but the suspension is just not "buttoned down" very well. The underdamped suspension feels like it belongs in an SL/GXE, and that's not what I have come to expect from an SE. Its the biggest dissapointment I have with the car. Whether its unique to the '07 or common to all 6Gs, I don't know as I jumped right from an '03 to an '07.

I am sure that there are some people who prefer the softer underpinnings, which is fine, but they are the folks that Nissan originally intended the SL/GLE for. To me, its an absolutely tragic blow to the Maxima heritage that the differentiation between the "4DSC" SE and "my father's" Maxima (the SL) has come down to whether it has wood trim on the dash.

I blame much of this on Nissan's decision to eliminate the entry level GXE, which forced the SE to serve as the "least common denominator" base model as well as the premium sport-oriented choice.

Good luck with the Acura. The TSX is a little too small for me, but I like it and I really like the TL.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I'm glad you like your new TSX. I think Acura TL & TSX have the slickest interiors of any cars in their price range. It would be nice if Acura would produce a S-Type TSX.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:43 PM
is invisible

Congrats on the TSX! It may not have the same low-end ballz as the Max, but with that combination of high-revving engine & great gearbox, it must be a blast to drive.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Shift_3.0

My 4th Gen did not feel too sturdy at highway speeds but I invested in a strut and sway bar and it made a world of difference. I dont know if thats the case with the new Maxiboats though...

Congrats on the TSX and dont total it. My uncle has one and the build quality is just spectacular.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM

where you a cl member? well good luck with your tsx
Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by now gs
where you a cl member? well good luck with your tsx

I was....but only read on there, didn't post much. I only had the lexus for about 3 months before I stupidly wrecked it.....
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax

Congrats on the TSX! It may not have the same low-end ballz as the Max, but with that combination of high-revving engine & great gearbox, it must be a blast to drive.
The TSX is much like my 2000 GXE that I had for a while. On that car I had upgraded the suspension and wheels and it handled like a champ. Plus the power of the 3.2 and man oh man. I honestly wish I had never sold that car.

If the TSX had about 40 more hp it would be perfect. The gearbox is truly phenominal and the handling is tight with just the right amount of feedback. You always know what the car is doing, right up to the limits of the tires. I am thinking about getting a license plate that says FAMLYS2K (Family s2000).

RY
Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 AM

that was the most pointless thread i have ever read on this forums..... MY IQ HAS NOW DROPPED 10 POINTS from reading that....

1. All rental cars suck.... they are abused and maintained very little.
2. The Lexus GS 400 is a bigger and more tighter car. Of course its not as agile compared to a smaller car.
3. Congrads on finding the perfect car FOR YOU!!!!
4. We all know this is your opinion on the cars you have owned. So if a smaller, rougher nut more agile car is your prefernce more power to you!!!
But in my opinion, this thread was pointless... might as well say, Lamborhini's are better because when i test drove one, it was faster then a Maxima....
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM

welcome to the Acura family lol. I also owned 2000 GXE 5spd, and now a proud owner of a brand new 2006 TL NAV 6spd. Although I wanted a GS 430, my new TL is still a great upgrade. GS 430 is a boring' boat compared compared to TL, besides poor gas mileage.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
that was the most pointless thread i have ever read on this forums..... MY IQ HAS NOW DROPPED 10 POINTS from reading that....

2. The Lexus GS 400 is a bigger and more tighter car. Of course its not as agile compared to a smaller car.
4. We all know this is your opinion on the cars you have owned. So if a smaller, rougher nut more agile car is your prefernce more power to you!!!
But in my opinion, this thread was pointless... might as well say, Lamborhini's are better because when i test drove one, it was faster then a Maxima....
Wow...you seem to be taking this quite personal. Any particular reason why you're yelling at him because he chose one car over yours?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Wow...you seem to be taking this quite personal. Any particular reason why you're yelling at him because he chose one car over yours?
lol...thanks for having my back man. I guess I could have summed up my first post by saying "based on my recent cars I have owned or rented, nissan quality as of late is crappy. " The rental car was BRAND NEW - a 2007 Maxima SE. I am not sure how much abuse the transporter can do pulling the car off the truck.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
is invisible

Clearly, the IQ drop is apparent in your idiotic response.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm glad you like your new TSX. I think Acura TL & TSX have the slickest interiors of any cars in their price range. It would be nice if Acura would produce a S-Type TSX.
i agree, and also went from a max to a TSX (auto tho) and lovin it. much more agile and finally a reasonable turning radius. the car has evey feature you can want stsndard and craftsmanship is superb, better than mercedez at the comparable price.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by super6
i agree, and also went from a max to a TSX (auto tho) and lovin it. much more agile and finally a reasonable turning radius. the car has evey feature you can want stsndard and craftsmanship is superb, better than mercedez at the comparable price.
Two of my friends have White TSX's. Do not get me wrong, they are great cars. A lot of fun packed into them with the 6-spd, and good looks too.

But, the craftsmanship and quality is not at all better than a Mercedes, such as the one I currently own 07' C230. The quality on the car is amazing. I didn't think Mercedes had that good of quality. The turning radius is great, the handling is superior, nothing more I would ask for.

But, compared to the TSX, the Mercedes C230 is far more superior, in my book.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
Two of my friends have White TSX's. Do not get me wrong, they are great cars. A lot of fun packed into them with the 6-spd, and good looks too.

But, the craftsmanship and quality is not at all better than a Mercedes, such as the one I currently own 07' C230. The quality on the car is amazing. I didn't think Mercedes had that good of quality. The turning radius is great, the handling is superior, nothing more I would ask for.

you know i kind of agree, i drove a c240 4matic for a while, and even tho its super slow, i really loved it. high center console, excellent fit and finish, and the seats are best of any cars ive been in. the ***** for the temp control are whimpy and feel very cheap, also the window switches feel cheap, other thn that the car is super! i just think acura is really on point, comapred to a loaded 07 maxima for like 30k its no question. honda makes great cars, they have issues like all makes, even BMW, AUDI, and MB, hey cars are cars, they all have issues, ultimately its personal preference.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04

allow me to disagree. A level of refinement of a Mercedes is superior to Acura's, well, it is supposed to be that way. As far as quality goes, how can one determine quality over less than one year of ownership?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
allow me to disagree. A level of refinement of a Mercedes is superior to Acura's, well, it is supposed to be that way. As far as quality goes, how can one determine quality over less than one year of ownership?
Good point. When people talk about quality and build-quality, its really subjective. I think there are some companies that build rock-solid engines, transmissions..etc, but squeak and rattle like my bed last night. MB has traditionally had a reputation for high quality cars, but in the recent years, I'm not too sure they're up to par with Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Buick & Infiniti.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Good point. When people talk about quality and build-quality, its really subjective. I think there are some companies that build rock-solid engines, transmissions..etc, but squeak and rattle like my bed last night. MB has traditionally had a reputation for high quality cars, but in the recent years, I'm not too sure they're up to par with Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Buick & Infiniti.
BUICK???? i dont know about buick. lexus dependability must be the best amoung any manufacuturer
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Almost all of the German brands suffered quality issues from late 90's to early 00's. There was an article in Car and Driver that talked about this last year. Anywho, MB and Acura are both great cars, but are very different. The plastics and the metals that these companies use are completely different. So, saying the switchgear on an MB is cheap compared to acura is not really correct. It's just different. The switchgear (buttons, dials, etc.) on a c class is made of the same material they use on an S class. And those cars definitely are not cheap!!

I don't think acura, nissan or any Jap manufacturer will ever match the ride quality of an MB or the the handling of a BMW. And on the same hand, those manufacturers will never match the reliability and "rock solid, bullet proof-ness" of a honda or Nissan product.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 PM

I don't think acura, nissan or any Jap manufacturer will ever match the ride quality of an MB or the the handling of a BMW. And on the same hand, those manufacturers will never match the reliability and "rock solid, bullet proof-ness" of a honda or Nissan product.
i agree with that somewhat. the ride quality of MB and BMW is very unique, u know ur in a MB, the ride is smooth and handeling is crips, even in a heavy german car. but i think a TL or G35 will be on par with many of these cars. i test drove a 325 and IS250, honestly they are both unique and the solid feeling of the bimmer, is surpassed but the extreely luxury of the lexus. japanese engines are just as good as german ones, but bimmers have those electrical issues. one thing that i hate about japanese cars is the cheap steele they use, everything rusts if you live in the north. german (and even american) cars are better in that department...hey a cars a car is what you can afford or perfer.

weather you spend money on performance, comfort, ergonomics luxury or just for the name. there is no "best car" is there? at least not under 35k, well maybe a G35 AWD, but 16-18 MPG is a downer.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Nice, I test drove the hell out of an '03 TSX 6sp once, was a really fun car. And pretty sexy as well. I won't even get started on the lighting...

Glad you found a car you enjoy.

You're a ****. No offense or anything--have fun in your "Maxima 3.5 GT."
Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Test drive an 07' C230 and you will see what I mean. They upgraded their C-Class line from previous years, for the good. I got one of the first ones, and they are called launch models/launch batch. They came with extra features, including a carbon filter, that is not an option on any car, except the S-Class. It is a great car nontheless, as well as Acura's TSX/TL.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Those are both true, in some respects. If you have an MB/BMW diesel, they will suprisingly live a long long life.

However, this is where the Japanese excel beyond the likes of MB/BMW in reliability, and the bullet-proof, solid engines. Two examples: Toyota Hilux Diesel.. You cannot kill it, period.

Watch if you would like to see how indestructible a Hilux Diesel pickup truck is two parts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRZzkrLSXj0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h0Fzrsf4G2I

Second example: Toyota Land Cruiser (80's & up). You cannot kill them either. My friend slammed into a tree in his 84' Land Cruiser, and this did not have the bar on front, and not even a single dent.

Basically, all cars have their ups&downs. Want luxury, good handling, status? Buy a BMW/Mercedes.

Want a nice, reliable, bullet-proof car? Buy a Toyota/Nissan/Honda.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM

sell out nissan for life
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 AM

Damn those TSX's are fun cars to drive....i wish they'd put the 3.2 TL-S powertrain w/a 6-speed in there, and I'd be all over it.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by maximizd97
Damn those TSX's are fun cars to drive....i wish they'd put the 3.2 TL-S powertrain w/a 6-speed in there, and I'd be all over it.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 AM
is invisible

If the TSX had about 40 more hp it would be perfect.
I am thinking about getting a license plate that says FAMLYS2K (Family s2000).
It would be nice if they offered the turbocharged RDX motor in it as a Type-S option maybe - that adds the ~40hp(and a lot more torque) you're looking for.
As for the plate, how about: 4DRS2K.