General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Straight pipe question------->

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 12:26 AM

Ok well I got a straight pipe and I am wondering if it will make a difference on my 1/4 mile times. The reason is because Im going to the meet over by San Diego. Also if and when I install it tomorrow all that I would need is 4 nuts and bolts and 2 gaskets. Am I correct on that at least? To whoever has the straight pipe already installed or had it installed does the exhaust note get much louder and also does the exhaust fumes smell bad?

Thanks for all the help you guys.

Chris
Old 07-12-2001, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by capmaxima99
Ok well I got a straight pipe and I am wondering if it will make a difference on my 1/4 mile times. The reason is because Im going to the meet over by San Diego. Also if and when I install it tomorrow all that I would need is 4 nuts and bolts and 2 gaskets. Am I correct on that at least? To whoever has the straight pipe already installed or had it installed does the exhaust note get much louder and also does the exhaust fumes smell bad?

Chris
I have a 2000 maxima and it took 8 bolts and nuts(4 per side).I didnt notice a differance except noise.Good Luck
Old 07-12-2001, 06:07 AM
Administrator

No noise.. No smell
Old 07-12-2001, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok well I got a straight pipe and I am wondering if it will make a difference on my 1/4 mile times. The reason is because I'm going to the meet over by San Diego. Also if and when I install it tomorrow all that I would need is 4 nuts and bolts and 2 gaskets. Am I correct on that at least? To whoever has the straight pipe already installed or had it installed does the exhaust note get much louder and also does the exhaust fumes smell bad?

Chris
4 bolts
4 nuts
8 washers

Gaskets? I reused my factory gaskets but new ones wont hurt.

Louder, a bit, but mostly different.

Smell, it does smell different, especially at cold start up but you have to be an exhaust aficionado to really tell.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

4 bolts
4 nuts
8 washers

Gaskets? I reused my factory gaskets but new ones wont hurt.

Louder, a bit, but mostly different.

Smell, it does smell different, especially at cold start up but you have to be an exhaust aficionado to really tell.
Thank for the help, but also is there anything else that i should know before I start to install it today? How long did it take you to do it?

Chris
Old 07-12-2001, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thank for the help, but also is there anything else that i should know before I start to install it today? How long did it take you to do it?

Chris
Got WD40? Use it!!!
Dont forget Anti-sieze paste on the new nuts/bolts and O2 sensor so you can get them loose easily when its inspection time and you need to put the cat back on.
I cant see this taking more than a 1/2 hour of under car time.
If you have a O2 sensor in the cat you should break that loose first before you take the cat loose. Its much easier that way.
And it also helps if you pull the O2 sensor harness out and unplug it so it dosent twist up when you screw it in an out. If you follow the wire from the O2 sensor their should be two plastic wire clamps, they just pop loose with a flat head screw driver. The wire then goes into a black gromet, pop the gromet out and pull the excess wire out and you will find the plug.
Or just deal with the twisting of the wires...
And dont forget, jack stands!!!