General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Info on the 2009 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
I know you guys probly aren't into domestic but if anybody's seen the Pontiac G8 thats coming out for 2008, might give those cars some competition, next summer I believe... RWD 3.6 dual overhead VVT 262 HP i believe for under 30k the GT model has a 362 horse LS2 and a 6 speed manual or auto for around 33-35 I think?
That car is in the running to be my next ride, LS2 of course
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

hey dave!!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by carnal_c30
hey dave!!
Hey whats up? pm me...
Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM

If Nissan is going to say the Maxima is the "four door sports car" then they really need to get serious and make those changes as how we see what a sports sedan should be. Nissan also need to take the lead and redefine Infiniti as a exclusive luxury product. I think the market for luxury cars has become too affordable and you see a lot of them on the road. Back in the day when you heard anyone who purchased a Lexus, Acura or Infiniti, you would go ooooooo and aaawww. Now days, it's like So What?

Now back to the 2009 Maxima as a four door sports car. Try to imagine a four door 350z. It would look hideous but that's a basic concept of a four door sports car as far as it's specs. It doesn't have to look like the 350 but maybe something aggressive and sporty looking. Now if take the concept I presented and replace the 6spd with a CVT and give it a fwd, is that what a sports sedan should be? I don't think so. This was just another way of looking at it. If Nissan plan to stick with a fwd and CVT for the 2009 Maxima, then they should be talking about it being a four door sports car.

Finally, making the move to diesel may or may not be a great alternative but at least Nissan is trying something different. I don't like all the hype on E10/E85 mixtures as well as hybrids.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Beast Mode!!!

They have the Altima, the G and the M... I just don't see what niche the Max can fill if it continues as the 4DSC

IT would do better as a competitor for Buicks and Avalons
Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Just don't pick up the styling cues from the new Sentra. Ugh.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM

Eveyone here makes a very good point. We just have to wait and see what it looks like next year, i really love the taillights and there spoilers, i wish they would keep that
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
If Nissan is going to say the Maxima is the "four door sports car" then they really need to get serious and make those changes as how we see what a sports sedan should be. Nissan also need to take the lead and redefine Infiniti as a exclusive luxury product. I think the market for luxury cars has become too affordable and you see a lot of them on the road. Back in the day when you heard anyone who purchased a Lexus, Acura or Infiniti, you would go ooooooo and aaawww. Now days, it's like So What?

Now back to the 2009 Maxima as a four door sports car. Try to imagine a four door 350z. It would look hideous but that's a basic concept of a four door sports car as far as it's specs. It doesn't have to look like the 350 but maybe something aggressive and sporty looking. Now if take the concept I presented and replace the 6spd with a CVT and give it a fwd, is that what a sports sedan should be? I don't think so. This was just another way of looking at it. If Nissan plan to stick with a fwd and CVT for the 2009 Maxima, then they should be talking about it being a four door sports car.

Finally, making the move to diesel may or may not be a great alternative but at least Nissan is trying something different. I don't like all the hype on E10/E85 mixtures as well as hybrids.
Luxury has not become too affordable, it's that people are willing to get themselves into greater debt than ever before. Also more people are making more money. If you look at the different websites and compare the the luxury cars to the non luxury, there is a difference. Also when looking at luxury vehicles you'll notice they only offer 5 or 6 model cars where the non luxury offer 2-3 times that amount. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Secondly, a 4 door sports car doesn't mean rwd. It doesn't mean MT. A 4 door sports car means the design is sporty, the parts used are more sports oriented such as suspension, wheel design, engine performance, the feel of the car inside and out. RWD and MT would be a plus to all of that. What use would it be to have RWD and MT if the rest of the car did not look and feel sporty. Also, while I don't like the CVT it is still sport oriented. Therefore, they can very easliy identify it as a 4 door sports car without RWD and an MT.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 AM

The 2009 Nissan Maxima has to have a more aggressive fascia than the 6th gen Camry SE imo! Hopefully that's one area that changes drastically as well!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
KH3 by popular demand

One of the design clowns might actually visit this forum and read all the hate about the 6th gen. AWD would be nice.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by hacim105
Luxury has not become too affordable, it's that people are willing to get themselves into greater debt than ever before. Also more people are making more money. If you look at the different websites and compare the the luxury cars to the non luxury, there is a difference. Also when looking at luxury vehicles you'll notice they only offer 5 or 6 model cars where the non luxury offer 2-3 times that amount. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Secondly, a 4 door sports car doesn't mean rwd. It doesn't mean MT. A 4 door sports car means the design is sporty, the parts used are more sports oriented such as suspension, wheel design, engine performance, the feel of the car inside and out. RWD and MT would be a plus to all of that. What use would it be to have RWD and MT if the rest of the car did not look and feel sporty. Also, while I don't like the CVT it is still sport oriented. Therefore, they can very easliy identify it as a 4 door sports car without RWD and an MT.
My point was making luxury cars more exclusive, but you're right. Some people are making more money these days which is why they can afford it.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 AM

I just hope Nissan gets back to the roots of quality dependable cars, not that they abandoned it but they have slacked off to some degree, it just seems that the last couple model years, including every make, vehicles are just getting cheaper, I know the manufactures are looking to make the almighty dollar but it always comes at the owners expense so I will say with the next generation Maxima I will be looking for better attention to detail.

I always wonder what car will look like when their 10 years old, pretty much what condition they will be in, kinda like looking at 4th Gen Maximas I see plenty of them and they look good for their age that helped me in making my decision to buy my 06.

I don't know I just know I want to see Nissan do something that will put them on top so people will stop referring to them as the stepchild to Toyota and Honda
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by STARR

I don't know I just know I want to see Nissan do something that will put them on top so people will stop referring to them as the stepchild to Toyota and Honda
nothing worse than being called the red-headed stepchild! But seriously, honda and toyota will never be better than Nissan IMO in terms of class, style, power and price
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM

turbo diesel! like an old benz...
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM

well, i think if nissan has the mind-set to make a 4-seater version of the 6th gen max, then they are perfectly capable of deciding to make the next maxima a true 4DSC. like 808max said, 4-door 350z type of concept. not asthetically of course but mechanically and perfomance-wise. hell, taking cues from the z car wouldn't terribly hurt either.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 AM

I think Nissan's next design of the Maxima will follow the 350z. Why? Take a look at the styling cues on the 2008/9 Mazda6. Notice the wheel arches, they very closely follow the arches of the RX-8 and CX7 (though the RX-8 had them first).

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...9-mazda-6.html

Car manufacturers tend to follow each other, some slower than others. Think about the flat lip on the wheel arch of most cars out today, not sure who started it, but every car has it now as a cue.

A 4 door version of the 350z would be very nice.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I actually think they should go back to 02/03, when the max was smaller than the altima, and seriously consider that. yeah, i know, not very flagship-like, but on the other hand, it's a hell of a lot easier to make a smaller car go fast. I'm HOPING for a unique chassis to build the new max, but i really don't expect it. at MOST, they might have a modified FM platform for FWD/AWD. I fully expect a Streched "D" platform (the 07 Altima) to carry the next max, just hope I'm wrong.

Ideally, I'm hoping for a 5th Gen Ti Edition, an M-B CLS, and the GTR to be vigorously blended, with a Direct-Injection variant of the VQ35HR and the 07 Altima's 6-speed tuned to act like the Z/G's six. A sexy, well-refined six-speed Auto w/sportshift should be optional. Interior should sport real aluminum trim with not a single hint of wood in sight, with OLED or EL gauges, and an Eclipse or Harmon/Kardon -engineered Stereo that includes BlueTooth, Hard Drive, and iPod/memory stick connectivity. stick with 18's standard on sport models w/ 17s for luxury-based models.

Keep at safe distance any of the following:
WOOD
Cheap Plastics
MOST Chrome trim (chrome can accent a few things like the badge or the gauges, and Chrome rims ONLY on the luxury model)

Following this Recipe, we can be assured of a Car once again worthy of being called a maxima.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:55 PM

I read about that with the Diesel version, it's quite a possibility that they will have a 3.7 VQ engine since someone told me about it. However that what I've been hearing they are going to try to design the next Maxima like the Mercedes CLS sporty and luxurious but that remains to be seen. It's kind of making me nervous but I'll wait when the car arrives at the showroom or the Auto Show, time will only can wait til it's here.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 Maxima

Anyone have pictures of the new 2009 or ideas about the pricing? We are thinking of buying our first Maxima or an Altima. If the price is right, I might just wait. What ya think?
Vashtie
Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 AM

09 max or 09 tl hmmm its close...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM

vashtie - No real pics of the '09 yet. Several 'spy photos' showing either a heavily camoed test vehicle, as well as another pic showing the Far East equivalent of the Maxima (aqua thingie with suicide doors, etc), incorrectly suspected to be the '09 Maxima, have appeared here in various threads. A very rough sketch supposedly resembling the '09 Maxima also appreared here, but Nissan does not unveil the '09 Maxima until March 19 at the New York Auto Show.

Tippie Toes - '09 Maxima and '09 TL may be close if parked in adjacent parking slots, but the '09 Maxima will blow any TL away. And if the support and backing Accura/Honda gave my son is typical of the support they give other faithful customers, I wouldn't give them a dime for ten TLs.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM

all i have to say that if we compare nissan to acura, it makes nissan a GREAT car.. even if it looses and is close, still GREAT.. acura should only compare to Infiniti.. thats the purpose. but as you see, a lot of ppl comare murano to RX and skip over the highlander... props to nissan!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 PM

Now thats great news because the 6th gen is killing it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 AM

http://www.houstoncars.org/wp-conten...ma-concept.jpg
http://www.houstoncars.org/wp-conten...ncept-side.jpg
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh god, that's not the max. It's an Intima Concept car that came out a year ago. I must have seen this picture 400 times. Someone posted a spy car picture of the Max a while ago that I can't find. I was hoping that it didn't look like that either.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM

chelle is correct about the Intima concept. That is a Japanese design, and some stylistic features may eventually appear in vehicles designed for oriental distribution.

The '09 Maxima was designed in AMERICA for AMERICAN'S. The other spy photo chelle refers to was so taped and obviously overpaneled it was impossible to really get a true vision of what it might look like.

But March 19th is not that far off. We will soon know!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

"lost it's way" ...... I'm not really sure thats the case. Seems to me, Nissan knew exactly what they were doing and that was to make the Altima the competitor to Camry and Accord. I'm sure they expected sales of the Maxima to decline and were willing to trade that for increased sales on the Altima. Now was that the right decision for Nissan?....thats another debate
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 PM

^ Blue is right on. Around seven years ago (as the design of the 6th gen was underway), Nissan made a decision to gradually take the Maxima upscale, consider it as the corporate 'flagship', and have the 3.5 Altima replace the Maxima as the 4DSC. Their plan called for the Altima to be the sales leader, hoping for around 250,000 per year. The Maxima was to move to near-luxury level, and the plan was for around 80,000 sales per year.

The release of the big bulky 6th gen was clearly the first step in this direction. The redesign, repowering and upgrade of the Altima 3.5 was obviously the second step. The removal of both the manual tranny and the 5 speed auto tranny from the Maxima was the third step. The fact many automotive fans still did not get the message by that point is positively stunning. Even the village idiot knows the CVT is not the tranny for a true 4DSC.

For reasons far beyond my comprehension, most Maxima owners somehow completely missed or ignored the implications of this decision of six years ago, and have emoted with misguided rants for the last six years over the Maxima getting big, soft and bulky, and complaing that the 3.5 Altima was a better 4DSC. They obviously did not understand this was Nissan's announced plan all along.

Yes, the '09 Maxima will return somewhat to a 4DSC entity, but not as many think. It will be a luxurious vehicle, and will have an MSRP starting several thousand above the 6th gen. Nissan will be placing the Maxima in an entirely different class than the Accord/Camry level. I will be surprised if they expect more than 100,000 sales per year. I do not expect to see many after-market mods available for the '09 Maxima. It will not be the 'affordable, moddable 4DSC' of the past. That fate was sealed six years ago.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:45 PM

I wouldn't mind if the7g become bigger and heavier if it moved in the direction of Bentley Continentals.
VW did a nice job seperating passats and phateons from A6,A8 I dunno why nissan cant do the same? sounds like worst thing that happened to maxima is infiniti.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Heart this kind of stuff before. I'll wait and see whether nissan can:
1. knock about 500lbs of weight off the car (doubtful)
2. completely change the style to something smooth and sporty (if the new supposedly sporty Sentra SE-R is any indication...doubtful)
3. keep a 6MT around (CVT and tiptronic just don't qualify)
4. knock another 200lbs off after knocking 500lbs off it
agreed the freakin fat arss 6th gen makes me mad.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
^ Blue is right on. Around seven years ago (as the design of the 6th gen was underway), Nissan made a decision to gradually take the Maxima upscale, consider it as the corporate 'flagship', and have the 3.5 Altima replace the Maxima as the 4DSC. Their plan called for the Altima to be the sales leader, hoping for around 250,000 per year. The Maxima was to move to near-luxury level, and the plan was for around 80,000 sales per year.

The release of the big bulky 6th gen was clearly the first step in this direction. The redesign, repowering and upgrade of the Altima 3.5 was obviously the second step. The removal of both the manual tranny and the 5 speed auto tranny from the Maxima was the third step. The fact many automotive fans still did not get the message by that point is positively stunning. Even the village idiot knows the CVT is not the tranny for a true 4DSC.

For reasons far beyond my comprehension, most Maxima owners somehow completely missed or ignored the implications of this decision of six years ago, and have emoted with misguided rants for the last six years over the Maxima getting big, soft and bulky, and complaing that the 3.5 Altima was a better 4DSC. They obviously did not understand this was Nissan's announced plan all along.

Yes, the '09 Maxima will return somewhat to a 4DSC entity, but not as many think. It will be a luxurious vehicle, and will have an MSRP starting several thousand above the 6th gen. Nissan will be placing the Maxima in an entirely different class than the Accord/Camry level. I will be surprised if they expect more than 100,000 sales per year. I do not expect to see many after-market mods available for the '09 Maxima. It will not be the 'affordable, moddable 4DSC' of the past. That fate was sealed six years ago.
Actually this started with the 02/03 Max which had sales in the 80-90k year mark vs the previous 110 k or so which Nissan planned on. Also the available feature content went up in 02 with avail memory seats, heated steering wheel etc.!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ikalinin
all i have to say that if we compare nissan to acura, it makes nissan a GREAT car.. even if it looses and is close, still GREAT.. acura should only compare to Infiniti.. thats the purpose. but as you see, a lot of ppl comare murano to RX and skip over the highlander... props to nissan!
The Max has always been that tweaner car that could compare well to a TL, hell way before the G35 came out the Max was compared to the the Vigor which is now known as the TL. If the G35 did not exist the Max would be in the comparisons with the TL still and the reason it does not now as much is because of (Infiniti vs Acura) sorta thing!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 AM

I still Don't know why alot of ppl hate on the 6th gen b/c its bulky...I think its actually a sexy car when you see it cruise down the street especially the 6.5 se....Like I know its not what it used to be but its part of experimenting and the experimented and learned i guess hopefullt this 7th gen will blow us away... But when the 04 max came out i was like damn!! very nice...when the altima was redesigned for 3rd gen i was like oh...and with this 4th gen i wasnt blown away either i was liek oh..I think has some unique cars that roll down the streets. To me nissan is not just another japanese vehicle like it doesnt have a jap feel, an american feel, to me when i get into a max i get a european feel.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Well, I still have my 4th gen with 194K on it, and just bought a new 08 and love it. Considered the Camry, Accord, etc, but felt like they were no comparision to the max, just like I felt in 1996. Couldn't wait for the 09, but I will reserve any real comment on it until it actually gets here!