General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hard Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Hard Decision

OK This is a really hard question iam confused i dont which to get when it comes to learning how to drive a Manual Car Now i cant decide on either to get a 4th generation or a 5.5 Generation that i already have thats automatic a 5.5. i really want to learn and i want to learn on something thats fast but would be a good fit for a beginner i originally though about a 3rd gen but was tempting. i eventually want to move on to something better somewhere along the lines of a 300zx TT or 350z or something compraible to them. Now Maxima's arent the only thing iam looking at for a learners car for manual. if anyone could give me an idea or advice of which direction to go to it would be greatly appreciated iam sure ive had a topic on this before but in a month iam getting my license and i want to learn to drive stick bad and i know it takes time to learn.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
OK This is a really hard question iam confused i dont which to get when it comes to learning how to drive a Manual Car Now i cant decide on either to get a 4th generation or a 5.5 Generation that i already have thats automatic a 5.5. i really want to learn and i want to learn on something thats fast but would be a good fit for a beginner i originally though about a 3rd gen but was tempting. i eventually want to move on to something better somewhere along the lines of a 300zx TT or 350z or something compraible to them. Now Maxima's arent the only thing iam looking at for a learners car for manual. if anyone could give me an idea or advice of which direction to go to it would be greatly appreciated iam sure ive had a topic on this before but in a month iam getting my license and i want to learn to drive stick bad and i know it takes time to learn.
To learn a manual transmission takes about 20 minutes. Read the manual it tells you how. You really have to do it to learn it. Its like riding a bike, I could tell you how but you would still need to learn. Its pretty simple. You choose which gear you want and let the clutch out to engage that gear. When you want a different gear you push the clutch in(putting the car in neutral) and move the gear selector to the gear you want and then let the clutch out and you are in that gear. With the clutch in no gears are engaged regardless of where the selector is, so thats your safe move. It takes about 20 minutes your first time to learn and you will need a lifetime to master the shifts.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Cletus

if you can learn to drive a 6-speed max properly...you can drive any manual!!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO theres no point in getting a car to learn how to drive a stick w/. Just get whatever car you want and learn on that car and then your set. Like buffalomike said, it will take you under an hour to learn how to drive it and then your all set. Dont waste money on a learner car.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM

yea but iam gonna do some modifactions to it to. are 5.5 6 speeds easy to find or no.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM

So do some mods, once you learn how to drive it it wont change anything. I searched for 6 months to find mine w/ the right miles and price. I hear theyre a bit easier to find up in the northeast but im not really sure.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 PM

No offense, but being 16 years old, I'm shocked that 1. you wouldn't mind taking a nice 2k2 or something and beating the hell out of it 2. That you can afford one.

I realize you want a nicer/more powerfull vehicle to learn how to drive standard, but the max is a tough car to drive stick especially if you are learning. After a while you will learn all of it's ins and outs, and can drive it like a pro if you are that coordinated. Also, you have to be comfortable knowing that you will scratch/dent/run over/grind gears andsmoke through clutches. Mario andretti had to start somewhere, but as with anybody, I'd hate to see his first car. If you are comfortable with that, by all means, go ahead.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM

i have automatic 2003 Nissan Maxima but i want to be able to have more play with my car and you cant do much with a automatic and plus with performance modifactions automatics sound like crap no offense to people that have performance mods on there auto's i want to be able to go to the track with my friend and run times. and do all that other stuff.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

i have automatic 2003 Nissan Maxima but i want to be able to have more play with my car and you cant do much with a automatic and plus with performance modifactions automatics sound like crap no offense to people that have performance mods on there auto's i want to be able to go to the track with my friend and run times. and do all that other stuff.

Okay, I am 40 and I have a 2003 Maxima and it is the nicest car I have ever had. So you have money from your parents. Get a turbo, a shift kit, some headers, a air fuel tune and you will be running 12.9 or 13.0

Be happy
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM

i really want to learn and i want to learn on something thats fast but would be a good fit for a beginner
You want to learn on a fast car? HA!! 16 years ago when I was your age I learned to drive a manual on the slowest car ever made - a 1986 Chevy sprint, 3 cyl. You read that right it didn't even have 4 cylinders. LOL It doesn't matter what car you learn on. All manuals are not the same but the basics to driving a manual are the same whether it's a slow car or mega HP car.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
a 1986 Chevy sprint, 3 cyl. You read that right it didn't even have 4 cylinders.
LOL! That is funny, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Did you boost it? A nice 30shot perhaps? lol. I learned on a 1975 Triumph spitfire, 1495cc's of pure power! lol. Car only weighs like 1000lbs but still. Handles like it's on rails though.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Cletus

are 5.5 6 speeds easy to find or no.
around 5% of maximas in a given year are standard transmission.

i looked for a month when i was buying my 00, gave in and got an auto.
when i bought my 02, i refused to settle again and searched for almost 2 months.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by bwinter7
LOL! That is funny, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Did you boost it? A nice 30shot perhaps? lol. I learned on a 1975 Triumph spitfire, 1495cc's of pure power! lol. Car only weighs like 1000lbs but still. Handles like it's on rails though.

I learned on a 1982 Datsun 310GX hatchback...loved that car
Old 06-04-2007, 05:32 PM

5.5 gen 6mt is too powerful for a 16 year old..IMO..but if you get it please be careful w/ it.

I learned how to drive stick on my old honda prelude. Even now w/ the maxima it took me almost a year to master the shifting.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by soonerfan

when i bought my 02, i refused to settle again and searched for almost 2 months.

That's what happened to me.

Don't be worried at all with any car. Driving a stick becomes second nature in no time. If you drive it all day for the 1st time, i bet you won't kill it in 1st gear anymore by the end of the day.

I can barely drive an auto. How pathetic is that. I keep stomping for the nonexistent clutch and not hitting the brake, so I almost wreck into **** all the time, or I can't start the car b/c there's no clutch lol.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
LOL! That is funny, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Did you boost it? A nice 30shot perhaps? lol.
I don't remember the exact year but they actually did make a Turbo version in 1987 or 88. Not to be totally lame by turning this into a Chevy Sprint appreciation thread but I gotta tell you I beat the crap out of that car and it held up. I had it for almost 3 years then gave it to my younger cousin. It had a Suzuki engine that was bulletproof and I never got below 40 mpg's in it. When your 16 and have no money that's a plus. That of course doesn't mean I wasn't embarrassed to drive it but looking back it may have been the best $800 I ever spent.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by soonerfan

Yep...all regrets here.
I was desperate enough for a Max to buy auto, and now I'm starting to look for something else.

OP: you can easily find a cheap truck to take the abuse while you learn stick. I learned on an '83 CJ-7 without a tach when I was about your age, shoudn't be a problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 AM

5.5 6 speed is powerful, you just have to respect it and youll be fine, just like when you hop on a motorcycle for the first time. I taught my 14 year old brother last year to drive my car in his middle school parking lot and hes going through that awkward uncoordinated stage so if he can do it i hope you can stillengle. He had it down after 5-10 min, good to know in case theres ever an emergency.

I learned how to drive a stick on a 92 daihatsu charade.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
5.5 gen 6mt is too powerful for a 16 year old..IMO..but if you get it please be careful w/ it.

I'm 23 and I have one, and it's made me decide that when I have a 16 year old kid, they are getting a 1.8L sentra for their first car.

Every kid in high school wants a powerful fast car, and from my personal experience here in CT, most of those that get em wreck em. Even one of my good friends at the time, his parents bought him a brand new 2001 Acura TL, and he wrecked it within the first month. So they bought him another one. He wrecked that one six months later. Parents + $ = : My highschool class was also home to a wrecked camaro, mustang, and gto. I had an 87 Ford truck at the time, that weighed about 4500 lbs and had about 140 hp. I never had an accident. Although, recently, I drive by my old highschool and the student parking lot is littered with audis, bmws, and even an H2 in the mix. Amazes me how times have changed...
Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 AM

The 6 speed is nice and quick and if you aren't careful you'll burn through a set of tires reaaaaaally fast.

I learned stick on a 1988 Nissan Sentra 4 Speed (needless to say, no tach) - I called it the 4 gear queer, ah how I loved that car. After that I had a 5 spd Chevy S10 and now the 6 speed. I've gained a gear every car I've owned.

There really isn't a good fast car to learn stick on. The best car to learn on is something you can beat around. The clutch on a civic is alot cheaper than the clutch on a Maxima. The best way to learn stick is to point your car up a hill and make it go up without rolling back at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM

If you want a stick car why not just drop a 6 speed into your's? If your gonna spend the money on a beater then just spend the money on a swap. From your posts it seems you have a bit of money so why have 2 of the same car with 2 different tranny's when you can just have one and go ape **** with it. You're probably gonna wind up driving the stick car more often since it'll be more fun to drive and probably sell the auto one.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

I learned in a 92-94 Sunbird

There's no good advice, it's your own desicion.

I would find a cheap/beat to poo poo 4th gen.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 AM

i just 5 speed swapped into my 4th gen and have been learning for the past month or so. I'm finally completely comfortable driving it with no problems. I can see it takes awhile to MASTER it though. At first the torque in first gear was hard to control but i got some better tires and its better now..i'm still slow getting going from a stop because first spins the tires so easy.
but dude seriously...think about it...if girls can drive manual and put on their lipstick, talk on their cell phone and strategically cut you off within an inch of your front bumper all at the same time it cant be that hard.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
--+--

Just a question I have about driving a 6 speed Maxima. I haven't spent any extended time in manual car, but I frequently drive a 9 speed 18 wheeler. I have this mastered pretty well so I'm wondering if I should have any qualms about learning to drive a manual car. They're a little different as in the truck you don't have to clutch between shifts but the concept is still the same. Should I have any issues?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
Just a question I have about driving a 6 speed Maxima. I haven't spent any extended time in manual car, but I frequently drive a 9 speed 18 wheeler. I have this mastered pretty well so I'm wondering if I should have any qualms about learning to drive a manual car. They're a little different as in the truck you don't have to clutch between shifts but the concept is still the same. Should I have any issues?

that is too funny man. You drive 18 gears...I am thinking 6 gears can be learned. It is the same concept and you can double clutch all you want....
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM

To tell you the truth i love my maxima even though its auto but nothing beats driving a 4 door sports sedan with a manual tranmission no matter if it has 4 5 or 6 speeds. the maxima i have now iam pretty use to and powerwise. i would really love to have a 5.5 gen maxima 6 speed but ive been looking around on cars.com and auto trader and havent founded anything thats good to my likeing i want to do some modifactions to the car and iam picky about the color i either want silver on black or black on black i know there hard to find in those color combinations. but thats what stands out the most to me. iam still looking for 4th gens to. but hey eventually ill come across something. i get my license in a month.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
on the G coupe bandwagon

hehe, learned on my friend's father's M coupe...
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
On the pedobear bandwagon

I learned on a 240sx se-r
Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Okay, I am 40 and I have a 2003 Maxima and it is the nicest car I have ever had. So you have money from your parents. Get a turbo, a shift kit, some headers, a air fuel tune and you will be running 12.9 or 13.0

Be happy

<<<------ u look awesome for a 40 y/o
Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM

thanks for the advice guys.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
<<<------ u look awesome for a 40 y/o
hahahaha my friend was scanning this thread and that avatar is pretty much where it ended. I remember awhile back when there was a website trying to find out who that girl was. Did anyone ever figure it out?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by chillin014
hahahaha my friend was scanning this thread and that avatar is pretty much where it ended. I remember awhile back when there was a website trying to find out who that girl was. Did anyone ever figure it out?
Keyra Agustina
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Keyra Agustina
haha thanks..google time.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
bald aggression est 78

im actually from Trenton,all those use car lots on Calhoun street, Olden ave,Prospect Ave,I cant remember the name of that one street its in north trenton down the street from the hospital theres a car lot over there.Not to mention Morrisville and oxford valley by the mall Get your self a lil 2,300 hundred dollar beater and learn on that Park the max durin the winter months and drive the hoptie.Cause depending where you live at in trenton,You know Doug Palmor wont send the plow through the side streets. And take it from me people will hit your car and keep steppin,thats what happen to my first max.Theres alot of haters in Trenton so PLEASE be careful oh and take a look at the avatar you'll probably see me out there this weekend
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
im actually from Trenton,all those use car lots on Calhoun street, Olden ave,Prospect Ave,I cant remember the name of that one street its in north trenton down the street from the hospital theres a car lot over there.Not to mention Morrisville and oxford valley by the mall Get your self a lil 2,300 hundred dollar beater and learn on that Park the max durin the winter months and drive the hoptie.Cause depending where you live at in trenton,You know Doug Palmor wont send the plow through the side streets. And take it from me people will hit your car and keep steppin,thats what happen to my first max.Theres alot of haters in Trenton so PLEASE be careful oh and take a look at the avatar you'll probably see me out there this weekend
oh really your from trenton yeah iam in trenton almost every sunday and i pass poppas all the time my grandmother lives in the burg its ashame trenton aint what it use to be i think i seen you around before. i dont live in trenton i live in hamilton like 5 mintues from there. but i know what car dealers your talking about World Wide Auto Sales or something like that and then they have that place that sells all used police cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
bald aggression est 78

oh really your from trenton yeah iam in trenton almost every sunday and i pass poppas all the time my grandmother lives in the burg its ashame trenton aint what it use to be i think i seen you around before. i dont live in trenton i live in hamilton like 5 mintues from there. but i know what car dealers your talking about World Wide Auto Sales or something like that and then they have that place that sells all used police cars.
Yeah ya got that right,get yourself a junker then that way you wont to mad if ya burn the clutch out or tear something up keep the max in good condition cause replacin clutches aint fun or cheap lil bro lol
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
haha thanks..google time.
hey get ur hands out of ur pants mister...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i kno its completely off topic but would u happen 2 kno what happen 2 customenterprise.com
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by xhollaatme401x
i kno its completely off topic but would u happen 2 kno what happen 2 customenterprise.com
It's gone.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Nightmare = Reality

If you're going to BUY an extra car to learn stick on, you have 3 options really:
1)used beater Toyota corolla. pick one up at an auction for $300.
2)80's sportscar. Looks cool, sometimes challenging to shift, and will teach you maintenance just as much as learning stick >_>
3)My favorite; Late 80s/early 90s Ford pickup with an Inline-6 and a 5speed. No power, enough low-end grunt(barely) This will DEFINATELY teach you about being in the right gear, especially if you drop 500lbs of sand in the bed, lol.

Quick Reply: Hard Decision