General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

shifttronic for my 96 maxima....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM

shifttronic for my 96 maxima....

Hey guys, i was just on the level ten site reading about mods for my auto tranny becuase i hate it but dont want to spend a load of money in a swap.Just wondering has anyone done this shiftronic mod?Is it worth it?How hard is it on your tranny? and what would you guys reccomend to add to it to help the tranny hold and run good. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 PM

It will end up costing more than a auto to manual swap. Level Ten is not exactly known for their service. But feel free to give them a call and try to place an order and deal with any issue that it may occur.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by S.S.Engine
It will end up costing more than a auto to manual swap. Level Ten is not exactly known for their service. But feel free to give them a call and try to place an order and deal with any issue that it may occur.
How would that be possible?

Direct from their website:

PTS Shiftronic™
Do you want to shift your automatic like a manual? Need to control torque converter lockup and shift firmness? Level 10 Performance has created line device that makes it happen; the PTS™ Shiftronic Shifter, It's a plug-and-play module that mounts in the cockpit and links directly with your transmission computer harness to provide manual control of up and downshifts, shift pressure and converter lockup.

Once plugged in, you have the option to go to any gear you please, up-shifting and down-shifting when you want. The Shifttronic Manual-Automatic is great for drag racers, rally drivers and anyone who wants positive trans control. The controller also offers you the option of changing how hard the trans shifts, and allows the driver to lock the torque converter on deceleration for real engine braking-like a manual shift transmission.

Fits all import applications with electronic controlled transmission
Honda - Toyota - Acura - Lexus - Mazda - Infinity -and more!!

NEW LOWER PRICE!
$498.00
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by i30krab
How would that be possible?

Direct from their website:

PTS Shiftronic™
Do you want to shift your automatic like a manual? Need to control torque converter lockup and shift firmness? Level 10 Performance has created line device that makes it happen; the PTS™ Shiftronic Shifter, It's a plug-and-play module that mounts in the cockpit and links directly with your transmission computer harness to provide manual control of up and downshifts, shift pressure and converter lockup.

Once plugged in, you have the option to go to any gear you please, up-shifting and down-shifting when you want. The Shifttronic Manual-Automatic is great for drag racers, rally drivers and anyone who wants positive trans control. The controller also offers you the option of changing how hard the trans shifts, and allows the driver to lock the torque converter on deceleration for real engine braking-like a manual shift transmission.

Fits all import applications with electronic controlled transmission
Honda - Toyota - Acura - Lexus - Mazda - Infinity -and more!!

NEW LOWER PRICE!
$498.00
Your right, it is cheaper. But for the average person yes, I can source auto parts for much cheaper. Having a shop access and connections helps. Its an electronic shift kit that controls the shift via electronics. Shifting an auto to high RPM and/or downshifting doesn't seem ideal. Same ordeal as manual shifting an auto, this does it by tapping into the TCM.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:43 AM

Interesting. My biggest complaint about any auto is no engine braking. Sure you can manually select gears, but no control over the TC diminishes the fun. Wonder why more companies haven't tapped into this idea. The market will grow as more car companies drop true manual options from their models.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 AM

Because shifting a transmission that wasn't built for it isn't a good idea. I bet that Nissan has more resources than LevelTen when it comes to transmission R&D.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Would it damage the transmission becuase your manually shifting it.How exaclty does the plug in play work? do you change your shifter?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Read the quote i30krab posted. Its a module that plugs into the TCM. It locks up and controls the torque converter. I dunno how tough the automatic transmissions are for the Maximas.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Im guessing by doing this i should get a tranny cooler and probally more parts before i get this.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Tranny cooler would be a good idea to add with this. I had the Hayden 404 tranny cooler on my 2nd gen but I think thats what had its tranny last so long. It was more than what I needed size wise but it helped out alot.