General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The only way to run a tank of gas.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The only way to run a tank of gas.

[***edit*** The point of running this stuff is not mpg]

Anyone who wants their cars engine be cleaner, run cleaner, and have more whp/responsiveness for $6 a tank read on.

91+ octane premium (if you want the most results go with premium)

Lucas STS Octane which bumps it to roughly 96+ octane [****edit**** precisely 94 from 1 15oz bottle] (keeps engine running cleaner, plus adds whp/responsiveness) $8.99 DO NOT repetitively run octane without the injector cleaner/upper cylindar lubricant!!

Lucas injector cleaner- makes her run smoother, works with the octane, keeps your injectors and valves clean. ($3.99 for a small bottle 1 tanks worth) $23 for a gallon which will last you probably 2-3 years.

I've been running my fuel like this for a long time, with only positive effects, only negative is it may marginally shorten the life of your o2 sensors, and of course is $11 every fillup. Considering I get 36.0 mpg on the highway [****edit**** call it 33-35mpg my bad, should have used more conservitive #'s remember this is combined with an intake] (if I don't drive like a lunatic).. and its almost wierd how long a tank of gas lasts, I'd guess it adds 3 mpg. I think it safely knocks $5 off that $11. So say, $6 per fill up. Worth the gains to me + less frequent fillups.

You MUST run the octane with injector cleaner or you can kiss your sensors goodbye pretty quick from what I've heard. Not supposed to really be a problem if you run the IC with it as it stablizes the fuel.

You have to buy the Lucas injector cleaner/upper cylindar lubricant ($23 for a gallon) to save money on it, other wise they charge you an outrageous $4 for a little bottle of it. I would suggest buying one of these bottles though just to measure.

The result:

If you haven't done this you will notice a significant difference after a couple of tanks when your car has cleaned itself and the ecu has learned the fuel. (if you don't notice a difference, don't run it for a tank and you'll say ewww I want octane) May take 2 or 3 tanks to get the full gains. It's important to run several tanks with octane/injector cleaner.

This stuff does work as advertised, helps with responsiveness a little bit, definately puts whp to the ground, a noticeable amount, you may not notice at first!! Seems to run kind of rich and burbally for everybody the first tank or two it's used. Keeps engine clean on the inside, you probably gain 10 whp (at least with a couple of mods) once your engine gets clean and ecu gets used to the higher octane fuel you won't want to ever save $6 again.

If you haven't tried this its worth a try!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM

O yeah, even if you don't just want to run this every tank forever like me, I would really suggest it to high mileage people to run 2-3 tanks of it just to clean out your engine.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Turbo'd Saab

and where can I but this?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM

If I Use 2 Bottles Of Octane Booster Will It Push Octane Levels Over 100?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
and where can I but this?
o reily's, autozone, any local auto parts store I think. I've only seen it at o reily's and autozone.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
If I Use 2 Bottles Of Octane Booster Will It Push Octane Levels Over 100?
Probably.. I'd be careful. This stuff is potent and not street legal. (unlike other brands) Our engines can handle 104.. but I just don't like it. I wouldn't go past 100, definately not for daily driving one bottle on 91 is plenty. Also you get too much of it who knows how quick it could blow your o2 sensors.. just not worth the risk. Now for one day at the track I dunno.. You might want to research it but one bottle in my experience is more than enough.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

What does it have that boosts octane? Leaded fuel is what kills O2 sensors, so if this has lead, then it will not work too well with these engines. So Lucas octane booster is illegal?

I don't see any links to any runfiles with said results.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM

I dunno about this, I feel a huge debate coming....
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

There cannot be a debate since there is no proof. Or maybe it's vice versa.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM

ehh...i'll take the bait. i will try it the very next two fill ups but thats IT okay!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What does it have that boosts octane? Leaded fuel is what kills O2 sensors, so if this has lead, then it will not work too well with these engines. So Lucas octane booster is illegal?

Honestly though...just give him a break. he has no reason to lie, nothing to gain or lose. He is only giving a suggestion to help out his fellow orgers. Granted the effect experienced might be due to a placebo...who knows.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
Honestly though...just give him a break. he has no reason to lie, nothing to gain or lose. He is only giving a suggestion to help out his fellow orgers. Granted the effect experienced might be due to a placebo...who knows.
^^^thanks, this is true.

I doubt its placebo.. You run 2 or 3 tanks, then don't run it for 1 tank your like uggghh I want my octane lol.. so it does something.

I don't know, was just thinking I should post somethin about this as I get awsome mileage and performance out of this.

If not performance at all (which I do) DEF mileage.

stock motor- 29-30 mpg highway
added intake- 32 mpg highway
with octane- 36 mpg highway, last 6500 miles have continued to have the same mpg on highway with the octane.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

36 MPG ... Can't even do that w/ modified 6MT ratio.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

waste of money
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM

"What does it have that boosts octane?"

Ok you got me confused.. I thought octane was just pure octane or jet fuel... thats added. I really don't know this one.

"Leaded fuel is what kills O2 sensors, so if this has lead, then it will not work too well with these engines."

well.. it works... 6500 miles at least... more than 2 oil changes no probs yet, no blown up sensors nothing but great mpg and performance gains. But I don't like the sound of lead.. I'll find out more on this.. ugh that

"So Lucas octane booster is illegal?"

It is not street legal. It boosts octane enough that its not street legal. Most octane boosters are pathetic rip offs that do nothing. Maybe a point or two..

First time, or maybe the first two times I used it I could barely tell it did anything, in fact seemed to richen it make it a little bit boggy. Other octanes.. its like you didn't even use them. Complete rip offs stay away.

"I don't see any links to any runfiles with said results. : mr gone :"

Well I'm sorry I'm not a motor guru like you whose life is devoted to witty little comments about runfiles...Good grief I'm a noob why the heck would you think I'd have runfiles?? Sorry I'm not some genius who sits around with a SAFC II and a laptop all the time. I think you just like picking on people that don't know as much of you I think thats really weak of a 17k poster thats such a status symbol on the .org Lol
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 PM

36 MPG ... Can't even do that w/ modified 6MT ratio.
I'm not a blind child. If I work for it 36.0 not coasting with neutral. Thanks...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Maybe you should use octane? Maybe thats why your not getting 36 mpg?

If its leaded then this is alll getting flushed.. but if it's not its worth it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

Pay attention to Stephen Max's posts very closely.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=385653

I think you're the only A33B 6MT to achieve this MPG, so congrats. Imagine what you could do with this:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=497655
Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

ive seen countless tests showing that X brand octane booster says a 6 point increase that it would increase it .6 so you fill up with 91 then you have 91.6 lucas products as well as other name brand stuff was apart of the testing. i remember seeing it on bitog.com. save your money or at least let me know what brand you all are buying in giant waves so i can pick up the stock for a quick ride.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Sorry buddy, .6 increase octane does not bump your mpg from 32 to 36. Yall act as if I'm lieing?? I'm not exaggerating I promise have seen this result over and over for the last 7k miles or so. I'm not lieing.

Did you know you actually will save about $10 a month running premium vs 87 in these cars as well?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by MetalBlueMaxx
Sorry buddy, .6 increase octane does not bump your mpg from 32 to 36. Yall act as if I'm lieing?? I'm not exaggerating I promise have seen this result over and over for the last 7k miles or so. I'm not lieing.

Did you know you actually will save about $10 a month running premium vs 87 in these cars as well?
Then like stated previously, you are the only one ever who is able to pull this off. Congrats but I cannot believe your experience when you cannot even spell the word lying. How old you are by the way, not that it has any bearing on anything. You can put 87 in if you want, the knock sensor will retard timing and will decrease power. If you do not believe, then dyno 93 versus 87 and see the difference. You could also google search the difference in power between the ratings. You may not be able to feel the differenece but it is there. The facts about octane booster and using lower grade are out there, it is up to you whether you ignore them or not.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 AM
VIP Maxima

Pay attention to Stephen Max's posts very closely.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=385653
that is a good post but i would think a 15oz bottle of octane booster is a lot more concentrated than a gallon of toluene or xylene

Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM

For those that don't know, the octane rating is essentially a rating for how well the fuel will combust.

The higher the rating, the less spark is needed to ignite the fuel and it begins to combust during the compression cycle.

The lower the rating, the more spark is needed to ignite the fuel as compression itself does not start the combustion.

Part of this is due to how clean/pure the fuel is. 87 is less clean/pure than 91. It has not been as refined and will leave behind deposits during the combustion process that will build up on your internals. Running injector and combustion chamber cleaner will help eliminate the build up if you haven't been good at running premium.

Putting 91 in a car rated for 87 is essentially a waste as the tolerances do not create enough compression to help the fuel ignite with less spark.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
that is a good post but i would think a 15oz bottle of octane booster is a lot more concentrated than a gallon of toluene or xylene
Concentrated with what?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually

Higher octane = less prone to combust. Not easier
Lower octane = easier to combust.

Octane rating is a measure of resistance to knock. Thus why you can run higher compression/boost on other octane.

Octane ratings neither add or subtract the compression ratio.

Lotsa odd info in this thread

Also, what does octane rating have to do with mpg anyway??
Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually

Higher octane = less prone to combust. Not easier
Lower octane = easier to combust.

Octane rating is a measure of resistance to knock. Thus why you can run higher compression/boost on other octane.

Octane ratings neither add or subtract the compression ratio.

Lotsa odd info in this thread

Also, what does octane rating have to do with mpg anyway??
you didnt know octane booster raises 4mpg. apparently, it is common knowledge. i cant believe i have been missing out all this time.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
DasYears

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
well really its the resistance to ignition of any kind, not just knock, but same thing. you can also run further advanced timing because it will be less likely to detonate.

as for the mpg, i think people believe that higher octane lets the ECU advance more because it will advance until it senses knock, but this is not always true. that would be partially true for WOT, but i dont think anyone is getting 36mpg under WOT. when cruising, 91 octane is enough to obtain the full advance without knocking unless youre going WOT in 6th from 20mph. if he is getting better mpg's then he must have been using crappy gas before, since 96 and 91 wont make much of a difference under relaxed driving.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
DasYears

Originally Posted by PadawanKnight
For those that don't know, the octane rating is essentially a rating for how well the fuel will combust.

The higher the rating, the less spark is needed to ignite the fuel and it begins to combust during the compression cycle.

The lower the rating, the more spark is needed to ignite the fuel as compression itself does not start the combustion.
this is the most azzbackward post i have EVER seen. apparently its opposites day

Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

just add an I to run in the thread title and call it a day.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
VIP Maxima

i love it, if anyone tries anything new and shares it, you all suddenly jump on a bandwagon and flame the kid. even though 99.99% of you dont have a clue wtf you are talking about.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

i love it, if anyone tries anything new and shares it, you all suddenly jump on a bandwagon and flame the kid. even though 99.99% of you dont have a clue wtf you are talking about.
Me = 0.01% apparently. Unless you are ready to chime in on the technial reasons why this would even be close to working
Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

im all for something new. this attempt at saving money is nothing new, hence the research i was referencing where it has been disproven on every level.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
DasYears

well according to you there are about 8 members on the .org who know the specifics here. maybe they are all in this thread? im pretty sure i know enough about octane and timing to make an educated decision.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
ive seen countless tests showing that X brand octane booster says a 6 point increase that it would increase it .6 so you fill up with 91 then you have 91.6 lucas products as well as other name brand stuff was apart of the testing. i remember seeing it on bitog.com. save your money or at least let me know what brand you all are buying in giant waves so i can pick up the stock for a quick ride.

Sorry but I think your incorrect. I found out, it's 3 octane numbers in other words... 30 octane points.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Besides gaining performance:

"specific upper cylinder lubricants that insure easier piston travel and valve seat protection"

"elminates spark knocks and pinging promotes clean fuel burn for fewer emissions and more MPG"

Don't think this product sucks because all the others do. I'm sorry yall are just worn out from all the jips.. people selling this stuff know kids go in there and are sold boosts "octain 6 points" on that so they have 40 colorful options to choose from.. doesn't mean one of them isn't worth buying because most of them are rip offs.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks for directly quoting their marketing. Exactly what is in this Lucas stuff that's different than the "others"?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
DasYears

if we could get some dr.fuelmax capsules around here we could be seeing mpg numbers that hybrids could only dream of

Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

lets see, 36 mpg and an 18.5 gallon tank. so a full tank would net around 666mpt. thats amazing considering a local 5.5 gen 6spd with a better fd for mileage, considerably lighter than stock went barely over 500 with only babying partial throttle. if i were you, id call nissan and ask for a mileage award. if they could advertise 36 mpg when thats better than some 4 cylinders, they will be overjoyed.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
ehh...i'll take the bait. i will try it the very next two fill ups but thats IT okay!
Post a baseline reference first.

Quick Reply: The only way to run a tank of gas.