General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about Nissan Policies regarding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Question about Nissan Policies regarding Warranty

Hello all, I've become a little concerned recently after speaking to a friend of mine regarding my 3 year -- 36,000 mile warranty with Nissan.

Quick back story: I was talking to my friend about my now currently 1 year old 2006 Nissan Maxima SE and we got into talking about oil changes and things like that. I told him that since I bought my car, I've done every single oil change and tire rotation as necessary according to which oil I used and the proper intervals according to my manual etc. I've done all this work myself.

However, he told me that within the first 3 years (or 36,000 miles) of my warranty, I must get everything done at the dealership or at a professional place so that I can have proof of purchase to prove that I did oil changes properly in the case that if something goes wrong within the warranty etc.

Is this true? Do I void my warranty by doing my own oil changes and tire rotations? Even if I'm doing everything correct. Not a damn thing has gone wrong with the car -- working like its brand spanking new (knock on wood) but thats not the point. I'm worried that if something does happen with the first 3 years or 36,000 miles that I'll be screwed since I voided the warranty simply by doing my OWN oil changes which I would think is absolutely BS.

Please, fellow Maxima owners, do you know if this is true? Thanks a lot!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 AM

No.

Damn 10 char.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by S.S.Engine
No.

Damn 10 char.
Unfortuntately, the answer is not as simple as this. Mostly, it will depend on what the problem is, how much it will cost Nissan, and what dealer you take the car to. For most things, your warrenty will be honored. For major malfunctions, however, it can be voided (though the legallity behind this is debated). For example, Soonerfan has a long thread about his oil loss problem, the many stages the dealer went through to fix it (all under warranty), until it came down to him needing a new engine. Then the dealer pointed out that the first three oil changes were not performed by the dealer or authorized mechanic, and while Soonerfan had proof and witnesses that they were done, both his dealer and Nissan North America denied his warranty claim for a new engine based on these three oil changes.

However, that is not to say that it voided the warranty, because the dealer still worked on the car under warranty to change several things prior to concluding the engine needed to be replaced.

Just something to think about.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Well thanks for the replies. It would have really sucked if I voided my contract. Knock on wood, everything engine wise etc is smooth as butter so I hope it stays that way.

Hit 27,300 miles today and I've had the car for only for 1 year. Oy vey!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM

bump for other opinions. thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Your factory warranty is not voided if you do your own oil changes. Just keep all of your receipts.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM

I Dont see why they dont bump the warranty to 4years/48k miles like the infiniti
Old 08-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Unfortuntately, the answer is not as simple as this. Mostly, it will depend on what the problem is, how much it will cost Nissan, and what dealer you take the car to. For most things, your warrenty will be honored. For major malfunctions, however, it can be voided (though the legallity behind this is debated). For example, Soonerfan has a long thread about his oil loss problem, the many stages the dealer went through to fix it (all under warranty), until it came down to him needing a new engine. Then the dealer pointed out that the first three oil changes were not performed by the dealer or authorized mechanic, and while Soonerfan had proof and witnesses that they were done, both his dealer and Nissan North America denied his warranty claim for a new engine based on these three oil changes.

However, that is not to say that it voided the warranty, because the dealer still worked on the car under warranty to change several things prior to concluding the engine needed to be replaced.

Just something to think about.
Some dealerships try to find every fault that leads to the issue while some are helpful and honor the warranty with no question asked. It varies but my previous answer is to if changing my own oil voids the warranty which is a no.

The dealership that does the work varies, some will try to find any problem and blame it on that while some are nice about it and honor it no question asked.

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
I Dont see why they dont bump the warranty to 4years/48k miles like the infiniti
Its one of the extra nice things you get for upgrading to an Infiniti.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From nissan's website http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/faqs/warranty.html

Will I be reimbursed for a warranty repair not done at an authorized dealer?
Your Nissan warranty generally requires that you take your Nissan to an authorized Nissan dealer. However, contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at (800) NISSAN-1 between 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Eastern/Central/Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, to find out if, in your particular situation, the cost of repair is eligible for reimbursement.
Jae