General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

gauges and gauge pod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where to buy them? I checked out summitracing.com and the only gauge pod for a Nissan was for the 300ZX, I didn't see any for the Maxima. I remember members here said to buy the digital gauges, not the mechanical. Anyway, what kind of gauges do I need? Boost gauge for sure, what else? Oh, one more thing, I have no idea how to read these gauges, in another word, I don't understand them. For example, the boost gauges I saw was in "bars" and not "psi", so how do I know how much boost I'm running if I can't understand the "bars"? Also, do these gauges light up at night? I would hate to not able to monitor my system at night. Please help all you can because I'm a total "newbie" when it comes to gauges.

Btw, the quoted price I got from Avalon was $3335.00(not including shipping though), good price?

I plan to order a smaller pulley from Vortech, the 3.33 pulley. I probably going to have to call them up, to make sure I get the right pulley and see if they carry the belts too.

I think I will go with all Autometer gauges and pod since they're cheaper compared to the Apexi stuff, for example.
Old 07-21-2001, 07:36 AM

Yes, digital gauges are better. Their electronic probes are not invasive as are the probes of mechanical gauges. Don't buy a boost gauge calibrated in bars. Buy one calibrated in psi. (For your information, 1.0 bar = 14.7psi.) Gauges calibrated in bars are for metric markets overseas. You should not have any problem getting lighted gauges. You may consider getting a fuel pressure gauge and an exhaust gas temperature gauge. You could also mount an outdoor thermometer on your A-Pillar, maybe with a nice deer or hummingbird on it! :-)

Who sells them?

-Stillen
-Summit
-Check the internet for many more
-Wal-Mart (For the outdoor thermometer!)

Good luck. Have fun with it.
Old 07-21-2001, 03:46 PM

They do make the dual gauge pod for the Maxima. Most likely they will not be advertised that they have it. Just call up and ask. You can get teh Autometer gauges and pod from Jegs. They have great prices. You can check out their site @ www.jegs.com or call them at 800-345-4545

I dont use digital gauges but i use the electric gauges instead of the mechanical. The elec is easier to install and i feel they are more reliable. Just my .02 cents though.
Old 07-21-2001, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Synki
They do make the dual gauge pod for the Maxima. Most likely they will not be advertised that they have it. Just call up and ask. You can get teh Autometer gauges and pod from Jegs. They have great prices. You can check out their site @ www.jegs.com or call them at 800-345-4545

I dont use digital gauges but i use the electric gauges instead of the mechanical. The elec is easier to install and i feel they are more reliable. Just my .02 cents though.

Oops...electrical was what I meant.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Where to buy them? I checked out summitracing.com and the only gauge pod for a Nissan was for the 300ZX, I didn't see any for the Maxima. I remember members here said to buy the digital gauges, not the mechanical. Anyway, what kind of gauges do I need? Boost gauge for sure, what else? Oh, one more thing, I have no idea how to read these gauges, in another word, I don't understand them. For example, the boost gauges I saw was in "bars" and not "psi", so how do I know how much boost I'm running if I can't understand the "bars"? Also, do these gauges light up at night? I would hate to not able to monitor my system at night. Please help all you can because I'm a total "newbie" when it comes to gauges.

Btw, the quoted price I got from Avalon was $3335.00(not including shipping though), good price?

I plan to order a smaller pulley from Vortech, the 3.33 pulley. I probably going to have to call them up, to make sure I get the right pulley and see if they carry the belts too.

I think I will go with all Autometer gauges and pod since they're cheaper compared to the Apexi stuff, for example.
Ring Ring, Ring Ring, Hello....
Old 07-21-2001, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Time for you to call Matt.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Sorry, forgot your number. J/K! Hey, when are you free this following week, I may want to stop by and check out your progress, plus ask those questions.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Sorry, forgot your number. J/K! Hey, when are you free this following week, I may want to stop by and check out your progress, plus ask those questions.
Check da PM's