General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Update on car problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 06:25 PM

Ok-
I drove another 1500 miles and the check engine light never came on. Some of you might remember that last Friday I reported that the 'CE' light told me that the knock sensor and the rear heated 02 sensor were causing problems. I reset the 'CE' light and all was fine for the past 1500 miles. Now---would you dive in and replace the 02 sensor, or leave it be? I was told the knock sensor went off b/c of the 02 sensor going off. The knock sensor sounds like a pain to replace according to the Chiltons Manual. A side note...I was able to get 28mpg going 80-90 with the A/C on through the mountains so I don't think that there is any problem with the 02 sensors to be honest.

Someone also said I might need a new CAT Converter along with the 02 sensor. Assuming I needed the CAT and the 02 sensor, where can I find these the cheapest? Any other suggestions? Honestly, I feel like leaving it be until it happens again. I plan to test the 02 sensor tomorrow afternoon.

SHUMAX
Old 07-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had the check engine light on for for months. It happened when i had the apexi WS installed and it has no hole for the rear O2 sensor. My car has been running excelent and I have no place to get a hole drilled or do anything. The place that installed it told me that it won't do anything because the 02 sensor in the cat is the one that counts and last one (no even present on the 95/96) is just for emissions.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:39 PM

?

Your point is well received. THe only thing that concerns me is when I go for the emmissions test in 3 months. Seeing as how mine was causing problems i wonder if it needs replaced? Resetting the 'CE' light did make it go away. I think that I got bad gas that tripped the knock sensor and sent some **** out the exhaust that tripped the 02 sensor....chain reaction. I am just curious about one thing.....if you reset the 'CE' light and it DOESN'T come back on...does that mean that there is no problem and it's still being monitored, or does it mean that it assumes you fixed the problem and all is ok?

SHUMAX
Old 07-21-2001, 06:44 PM

Re: ?

i'm not 100% sure but I would like to know if somebody can answer this based on experience. As for the light, when you reset it relearns any problems over time if they are still there. i reset minre sometimes and it comes back on in a couple days.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:49 PM
Administrator

even though the light is not on.. if you make an attempt to pull the code and the problem is still there.. it will tell you.. even though the light is off.. so i would tell you to try to pull the code.. if nothing comes.. then you are fine
Old 07-21-2001, 08:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about the rear 02 sensor. It doesn't affect performace or emissions. The knock sensor will not light up the mil. Do a readout again and if the ks code isn't there, then forget about that also.

Originally posted by shumax
Ok-
I drove another 1500 miles and the check engine light never came on. Some of you might remember that last Friday I reported that the 'CE' light told me that the knock sensor and the rear heated 02 sensor were causing problems. I reset the 'CE' light and all was fine for the past 1500 miles. Now---would you dive in and replace the 02 sensor, or leave it be? I was told the knock sensor went off b/c of the 02 sensor going off. The knock sensor sounds like a pain to replace according to the Chiltons Manual. A side note...I was able to get 28mpg going 80-90 with the A/C on through the mountains so I don't think that there is any problem with the 02 sensors to be honest.

Someone also said I might need a new CAT Converter along with the 02 sensor. Assuming I needed the CAT and the 02 sensor, where can I find these the cheapest? Any other suggestions? Honestly, I feel like leaving it be until it happens again. I plan to test the 02 sensor tomorrow afternoon.

SHUMAX
Old 07-21-2001, 08:27 PM

I just pulled the codes again and only got a 0707 (rear 020 so i'm fine
Old 07-21-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by theblue
I just pulled the codes again and only got a 0707 (rear 020 so i'm fine
My rear heated o2 sensor has been going off on my 95 max for several months now. Most of the time the lights on and then it will just shut off for a few days. I have noticed improved gas mileage when the CE light is on{Strange}, I usually get 22 MPG but when the light is on I got 26,25 and 25MPG. My RPM's do drop down a little to low though so I just ordered the sensor from Courtesy nissan for $67! Great deal.

Now to answer you question, I whould not bother to fix it unless the light comes back on or if your car fails emissions.