General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HEY Y'ALL! Any back yard mechanics do their own S/C installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 07:05 PM

I was just wondering if this can be done by the "do it your selfer"? I generally do all my own mods, but was wondering if the S/C is a PIA? I've heard it is difficult and Stillen suggests that a mechanic beyond normal capacity take on this task! Is this the way it is?
Old 07-29-2001, 07:44 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by yourmove
I was just wondering if this can be done by the "do it your selfer"? I generally do all my own mods, but was wondering if the S/C is a PIA? I've heard it is difficult and Stillen suggests that a mechanic beyond normal capacity take on this task! Is this the way it is?
This is not a job for someone who has only installed mods. This install requires someone with mechanical experience. It was a pain, and it took 2 days to get it fully installed on a Maxima that we (3 people) installed it onto.

Old 07-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed my SC all by my self during a huge snow storm outside on a gravel driveway last winter. It took me 4 solid days{40+Hours} to install the SC properly. Before installing the SC I did exaust work and suspension work etc. Nothing to hard. Basically if you have the will to learn and I high threshhold for aggrevation and self louthing you can do it! I whould say it was probably one of THEY worst experieces of my life. I was yelling and swearing during most of the job and wishing I had someone else do it! Now that I look back on it I could install the SC pretty easaly nad whould do it again. It whould probably take me about 15-20 hours to do now.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:04 PM

S/C instals

Originally posted by emax95
I installed my SC all by my self during a huge snow storm outside on a gravel driveway last winter. It took me 4 solid days{40+Hours} to install the SC properly. Before installing the SC I did exaust work and suspension work etc. Nothing to hard. Basically if you have the will to learn and I high threshhold for aggrevation and self louthing you can do it! I whould say it was probably one of THEY worst experieces of my life. I was yelling and swearing during most of the job and wishing I had someone else do it! Now that I look back on it I could install the SC pretty easaly nad whould do it again. It whould probably take me about 15-20 hours to do now.
EXCELLENT!!! i'm really motivated. how is your system functioning? How long have you had it installed?
Old 07-29-2001, 08:35 PM

Re: S/C instals

Originally posted by yourmove
EXCELLENT!!! i'm really motivated. how is your system functioning? How long have you had it installed?
It ran great until I blew a bunch of clutches and my MAF sensor broke and made my car run like crap. I had the SC on for 2K miles and sold it. If I was ever going to put a SC on a car again I whould first have take it for a test and tune{Air/Fuel ratio} and I whould defiantly get a ACT clutch from the get go. I don't want to scare you away from getting a SC because it was definatly a whole lot of fun and it attracted tons of attention. Basicaly I don't think a SC is right for everybody. I could go on for hours about this stuff.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:45 PM

Re: Re: S/C instals

It ran great until I blew a bunch of clutches and my MAF sensor broke and made my car run like crap. I had the SC on for 2K miles and sold it. If I was ever going to put a SC on a car again I whould first have take it for a test and tune{Air/Fuel ratio} and I whould defiantly get a ACT clutch from the get go. I don't want to scare you away from getting a SC because it was definatly a whole lot of fun and it attracted tons of attention. Basicaly I don't think a SC is right for everybody. I could go on for hours about this stuff.
emax95
I've followed your story w/ your s/c and I am interested in knowing why you think it is not right for everyone. If it is installed and maintained correctly it would be right for any one. no?
Old 07-29-2001, 11:01 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hey EMax, something i noticed and im not trying to flame you. but you spell "would" like "would" not "whould"
sorry it was really buggin me.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:04 AM

I'm doin my own install this coming weekend. Yo emax, you wanna come to Albany, and help me out? I dont think it should be too hard. I have a few friends helping me out, but no one has done the Maxima S/C before. I thought it might be nice to have a max guy who has already done the S/C there, especially at the end, to know if it sounds like it was installed correctly.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
hey EMax, something i noticed and im not trying to flame you. but you spell "would" like "would" not "whould"
^^^^^
This guy and I installed my SC over a few days.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Ok, I wood take this advice on consideration but I WHOULD not know what whould is what ? I have always sucked at spelling, it's not that I don't try.. .

Screaminfast , I am not really feeling this Albany thing, it's a long ride from R.I. Ok I am lazy, email me or PM any questions or problems you run into and I am sure I can couch you along. You should be all right since you have tools and all.

s1rch, It's hard to explain realy. Let's see, I felt like I was destroying my car really quickly because crap on the car kept braking{not the SC} and the repair bills were begining to cost a lot more then I was willing to pay. For the sensible weekend racer who does not constatly push the car, I do not see a problem but if your like me and you push the car hard day in day out I think a SC a bad idea because stuff brakes and it is expensive to fix as specially if you wreck your engine or tranny. I just think I got turned off from the huge amount of money involved and risks. To each his own.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:42 PM

Emax, Thanks man. I appreciate it.