General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hmm......so Infiniti claims their productions unit q45 WILL do under 6 to 60!.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 07:09 PM

After reading the latest mt, they said that they test TWO q45's that they both hit 60 in 6.5(still pretty damn fast), but they contacted infiniti and they said BOTH those cars were preproduction units. So....are the q45's at my dealer 5.9 demons?

Other ramblings.......

Do you realize that the G35/skyline will have upwards of 280hp with a 5sp auto/6sp man! Combine the great skline suspension, super tight interior(check out the pics) and a reasonable price(very is300 competive) and it should be a 3 series killer.

The altima 3.5 and maxima 3.5 are BOTH sub 15 seconds in the 1/4mile. Gee.....the cl-s guys are gonna be here everyday....until the 6sp cl-s comes out.

Mike S.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:27 PM
PRINCE NISMO

I found this in a article last week, It's the explanation Nissan/Infiniti gave for those times............."AMCI, an auto testing firm, deployed three drivers, each of whom tested the Q45's acceleration speed 24 times. The average 0-to-60 time was about 6.7 seconds, Wangers said.
"With everybody trying to milk every last bit of performance out of their vehicles, this is what can happen," said Don Sherman, a veteran car tester for Automobile Magazine.
In recent weeks, Infiniti officials have held a series of private meetings with automotive journalists about the issue. According to Visnic, Infiniti offered the following explanations:
* The company tested the car in Japan under optimal weather, altitude and atmospheric conditions.
* The Q45 tested by the company was a stripped down version while journalists and others tested loaded vehicles that are heavier and therefore slower.
* Nissan/Infiniti used light test drivers.
In the meantime, Nissan decided not to publicize a 0-to-60 time for the all-new Altima sedan that debuts later this year.
"We are going to let its performance speak for itself," said Tim Gallagher, Nissan spokesman.

Old 07-31-2001, 08:58 PM

I think I may have posted this a month ago. About the same time everyone was saying how the Q45 is faster than this and faster than that etc...

It hasn't been revealed yet why the Q45 is slower, whether the engine is not putting out 340hp, or if the new automatic is bogging the car down. In either case, it's pretty dissapointing that the most powerful car in its class is also one of the slowest. Granted 6.7s is still pretty quick.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:55 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Eric L.
I think I may have posted this a month ago. About the same time everyone was saying how the Q45 is faster than this and faster than that etc...

It hasn't been revealed yet why the Q45 is slower, whether the engine is not putting out 340hp, or if the new automatic is bogging the car down. In either case, it's pretty dissapointing that the most powerful car in its class is also one of the slowest. Granted 6.7s is still pretty quick.
I would contend Nissan is "quick and dirtying" their ECU firmware testing instead of properly tweaking them, as well as their slushbox TCMs.....just look at the 5th gen, which has required 2 TCM updates that I'm aware of......

Since I'm a firmware programmer, I can attest to how difficult it is to make systems more and more complicated and then expecting ECU development to take the EXACT same amount of time that it used to. With OBD-II, traction control, stability systems, on board cameras, nav, blah, blah, blah.....there's just a lot of stuff to test......I bet a big drag on getting new autos out is getting ECU issues squared away rather instead of just getting production/supply online....