General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to Polish/Paint my valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 04:05 PM

How can I polish my valve cover? I have seen a few done here in town (Austin, TX) but can never find the driver to actually ask him.

Also, how do you paint the plaque?
Old 08-03-2001, 04:21 PM

Polish!

Originally posted by Maximus98
How can I polish my valve cover? I have seen a few done here in town (Austin, TX) but can never find the driver to actually ask him.

Also, how do you paint the plaque?
Ahhh, polish! Well it's easy, but you'll want to take into consideration the climate in which you live or get it clear coated when your done! Clearing it is not a bad idea wherever you live!
Old 08-03-2001, 10:43 PM

Still one question. How do I do it? I don't just polish using a bottle of Mother' Polish do I? I want it to have almost a mirror/chrome finish. Is there anything special to buy?
Old 08-04-2001, 12:21 AM

Still one question. How do I do it? I don't just polish using a bottle of Mother' Polish do I? I want it to have almost a mirror/chrome finish. Is there anything special to buy?
here's everything you need to know...first..you need to take the plastic piece off..."so you can paint the color of your choice" then get some 300 grit sand paper...and a spray bottle of water...then spray the area...and sand spray and sand...after a while...move up to say 400 grit..spray,sand,spray,sand..then go to like a 600 grit...spray,sand...then to like an 800 grit..same thing...and then finish up with a 1000 grit to remove all the little scratches...then just polish it up with some aluminum/metal polish of some sort...and voila..your done...total time should take you around 2hrs..
Old 08-04-2001, 06:49 AM

Cool,hey thanx. I think I am going to do that polish job tonight. Possibly tomorrow.

When I paint that plastic plaque, I think I am just going to paint it a gloss black, then with 800 grit paper, sand over the Nissan letters that are raised. I don't want all of it to be black.

Anyone have pictures of this done?
Old 08-04-2001, 08:12 AM

Polish!

You can do it by hand but I don't recommend it! You'll need to buy a random orbital sander w/ 10k no load rpm, will be fine. You could use a dremel tool but it takes longer and can give you a random look. Get 6oo grit sanding discs and start sanding. You"ll see the brushed texture being removed(this can be a slow process.)once the part is sanded use wet sanding sand paper(you'll need 1k grit then 15k grit and 2k grit!)and sand away using each paper thoroughly. Note when wet sanding do not get any contamination between paper and part as this could cause enough damage to make you have to start over! When your done with that I suggest buffing the part with a high speed buffer(I use a drill with a small diameter wheel.) and jewelers rouge. I know it sounds like a lot but when your done it"dll shine like a F..king mirror!
Old 08-04-2001, 09:05 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Or you can just pay me $125

No way you can get it as shiny as the pros. It's not easy. Try it and you will know what I'm talking about. The pros use big HP floor standing buffer that can remove alot more material than you can. After you buy all those sandpapers and tools. You would be better off getting one from me. Paypal me $125 + $20 shipping + $50 core charge. I'll ship you a polished valve cover. When you ship back your old valve cover to me, I'll refund you the $50. Here are some pictures.

Old 08-04-2001, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tony is right it's not as easy as it appears I polished my valve cover and it looks better, but it's nowhere near being mirror like. I may invest in the polished valve cover later, but for now I'm investing in other mods.
-hype
Old 08-04-2001, 12:08 PM

to paint the plastic piece....you don't have to paint it then sand the letters down...just get masking tape and put a strip of tape over the letter...then take a razor blade and carefully cut around the letters.....then just peel off the other tape and voila...it'll look like you bought it...

as for buying the valve cover...WHY?....you can get yours to look pretty damn close to that...i have mine damn near that shiny...its taken me a few days....but hey...i did it myself....and besides...that one does look nice...but you wont see some of the stuff that's polished anyways...like underneath that plastic part...
I do have 1 ? though...can you polish the intake manifold? i saw a pic of a guy that had his done and it was sweet...
Old 08-04-2001, 02:22 PM

I don't know if I would pay $200 bucks for a valve cover even with the $50 bucks back. I might just spend 2 days doing mine. I have access to a buffer, and orbital sander. I will just make an attempt at mine. I am aiming for the cleanest engine bay around, (for Maxima's that is)

Where can I buy dressup items for the engine bay?

I am stickin to Black, chrome (polished) or silver.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

damn that polished valve cover looks good.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:27 PM

I don't know if I would pay $200 bucks for a valve cover even with the $50 bucks back. I might just spend 2 days doing mine. I have access to a buffer, and orbital sander. I will just make an attempt at mine. I am aiming for the cleanest engine bay around, (for Maxima's that is)

Where can I buy dressup items for the engine bay?

I am stickin to Black, chrome (polished) or silver.
try your local auto parts stores for the dress up kits...
Old 08-04-2001, 09:34 PM

polished!!

Originally posted by pawn

try your local auto parts stores for the dress up kits...
Maxer's! I polish crotch rockets on a regular basis(The frames, swing arms,rims etc.) Remember once polished it becomes a high maintenance item, unless clear coated but clear coat wont last in the engine bay the way you would hope. Send it out and get it chromed! Be an entrepreneur see www.coswell.com and buy a kit which will in turn pay for itself!
Old 08-05-2001, 08:30 AM

Hmmm

I was cleaning the engine bay, and man this thing was disgusting looking. I need to polish the valve cover somehow, but I also noticed the cover on the passenger side (cam gear, cam belt cover) is about as nasty as the valve cover as well. Is it possible to paint that one, or polish it too?
Old 08-05-2001, 09:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

Hey buddy, this is a good site I found a while back. It really gives you a good idea how to do it..

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P.../polishin1.htm

Old 08-05-2001, 09:08 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Or you can just pay me $125

You guys got any 2k Valve Covers? I want mine done

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
No way you can get it as shiny as the pros. It's not easy. Try it and you will know what I'm talking about. The pros use big HP floor standing buffer that can remove alot more material than you can. After you buy all those sandpapers and tools. You would be better off getting one from me. Paypal me $125 + $20 shipping + $50 core charge. I'll ship you a polished valve cover. When you ship back your old valve cover to me, I'll refund you the $50. Here are some pictures.

Old 08-05-2001, 11:12 AM

Hey Russ, thanks alot. I had forgotten the name of tha company. Eastwood.

I am gunna be working on it sometime next weekend more than likely.
Old 08-05-2001, 05:51 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Originally posted by pawn
I do have 1 ? though...can you polish the intake manifold? i saw a pic of a guy that had his done and it was sweet...
Yep. Intake manifold can be plished. E-mail me for price, but it's not cheap.

Old 08-05-2001, 06:14 PM

Ok, I really wanna get mine done and by the way I am looking at it, I may want to just pay 125 total and a guarantee that I will ship mine back to prevent the extra 50 bucks paid and refunded. All goes down to trust.

Most of the Austin guys know me, so they can vouch for me being a good guy. How about it? $125 for a polished valve cover total?

I forgot who did them, but how does that sound?

I also want to paint my valve cover plaque. What type of paint should I buy?

Can the timing/cam gear cover be polished too? I know its a bit of work to remove and install it, but I can do it. Any takers on that?