General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

KNOCK Sensor >>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 08:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How hard is it to replace the Kock Sensor on the 4th generation Maxima, has anyone done it before ???? What tools are needed, how long did it take and how much is a Knock Sensor. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-23-2000, 11:05 AM
Matt_P

How did you know you needed one?

Is it knocking, but not cutting fuel for retarding the timing?

Matt P.

Old 10-23-2000, 11:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

If it's in the same place as a VE30DE

It's one large pain in the ***. You'd better be pretty sure that's the problem before having to take your upper and lower intake manifolds off to get to it. Or I hope Nissan relocated it for the VQ30 engines.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am getting a code 34 >>>>

which means the Knock sensor is bad. I can see the knock sensor under the intake manifold and may be even able to get to it without removing the intake manifold. It is held on to the block with a single bolt. I have to find someone with smaller hands to see if they can reach it. The dealer says $65 for the labor to replace it, but I am to cheap to pay them to do it. The knock sensor from Courtesy is $125 with the discount. Also one of the front O2 sensors went bad have to get that replaced too, $65 from Courtesy.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:22 PM
JimW

Did you get the car wet??--->

Originally posted by JULIAN
How hard is it to replace the Kock Sensor on the 4th generation Maxima, has anyone done it before ???? What tools are needed, how long did it take and how much is a Knock Sensor. Thanks for any info.
I had the same problem also. It was silly of me, but I drove the car thru some standing water (only about 5") and all seemed fine. Then when I started the car up, I got the check engine lite. I checked the codes and I got a code for the knock sensor and the front O2 sensor.
I seem to remember the shop manuual saying that a knock sensor code doesn't mean that the sensor has failed, but just that it had detected knock. Can't remember for sure, but since you've got the manual, I'm sure you read it carefully.
In my case, I just kept resetting the ECU every 2 starts of the car, and on the second day everything had dried out and all was fine.