General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cryogenic Treatment for car parts...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 06:40 PM

I found a company in Savannah, GA that provides this service, mostly to the folks in the racing industry. They treat pistons, cylinder walls, trannies, brake rotors, axles, and just about *any* other steel or aluminum part that is subject to wear and tear.

The process involves placing the part(s) in a dry container that is refrigerated to -300 degrees F. The cooling process is computer-controlled, and is very slow/gradual. The parts may be subjected to this deep-freeze for up to 3 days. The parts are then very slowly warmed to room temperature. The process is finished off with light heat-treating.

Treated parts are less likely to wear, bend, or break. And the cost to do this is cheap! The freight charges for these parts is probably higher than the cost of the treatment! I'm still learning more, but so far, I'm amazed!

Anybody here who knows someone who had this done to their tranny, for example? How about their front-drive axles? Is this for real? Please advise. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:48 PM

i wanted to cryo treat my rotors, but i can't find a place in california, there's a place called cryone in NJ or something so i end up not freezing my rotors. if anyone knows where there's a place in cali, please let me know
Old 08-09-2001, 01:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

The evil Bill moderator has this treatment done on his brake rotors.

This service is available from somethere in Seattle(near me) The name is cyro-one or 1 cyro or someting.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:24 PM

I work at a night vision laboratory where we test cryogenic coolers, and our equipment could easily do this. Just out of curiosity, how much is this place charging you to freeze ure ****?

Originally posted by Jeff92se

This service is available from somethere in Seattle(near me) The name is cyro-one or 1 cyro or someting.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:53 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se

http://www.onecryo.com/

Rocky Beebe is who I've dealt with in the past. His e-mail address is Rocky@OneCryo.com

It's $25 per rotor PLUS shipping.....it ain't cheap to have it done.....I would guestimate $80 PLUS shipping from your place to their place in Washington state.

It would technically be cheaper to get rotors from Porterfield and "add-on" the cryo treatment service for $40. Then it would be $100 per rotor plus shipping (2 rotors are usually $20)......

I did mine for experimental purposes, especially once my Metal Masters score my rotors up enough to warrant getting them turned......

Thus far, no warpage, which is amazing for me. Just ask Jeff.....