General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2K2 Maxima 6 speed SE will be the best Max ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Think about it. Functionally, with the 3.5 VQ and a 6 speed, and the Gen 5 body. While there's still a debate on its looks, the specs on paper are killer. I think ti will be the best Max, in terms of function, because the body won't be too big, and the engine will be bigger, and it ain't gonna stay that way for long.

You know the next Maxima will have the same engine, but bigger body, so we won't feel the performance as much, sort of like what happened when Maxima went from Gen4 to Gen5. You got more hp, but you really couldn't feel it as much because more hp came with more body. What's everyone else think??
Old 08-13-2001, 12:48 PM

toss all that functionality into a 3rd gen and you'd have the best performing and best looking maxima ever
Old 08-14-2001, 04:54 AM
Banned

Hard to speculate

without a test drive. First issue is that the car is "drive-by-wire" and that's crappy for manual transmission owners due to throttle delay. I had a '00 VW Jetta and the only way to fix the delay was to chip the car but Nissan will be a little harder to do this to. Also the trans will be cable driven rather than rod so that means the shifter feel and feed back will be dull. I really think a test drive will cue my pain for this new 2002 but until that test drive I still think I made the correct choice.

Don't get me wrong, the power will be a nice addition but a 2001 with intake and Y-pipe will be in the 260hp range and you can get a better price on the 2001.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:58 AM

The 6-Speed will be nice if they spread the gear ratios. If 6th is the same as any other years 5th then all it means is extra shifting. NE1 seen gear ratios yet? I haven't been able to find them.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Hard to speculate

Good Points. I was looking at it from the basic standpoint that the 2k2 Max SE 6 speed will have the best power/weight ratio of any Max ever built . . . .stock with a 6 speed. Acura and Nissan seem to be pushing the envelope when it comes to high horsepower front wheel drive cars. What happens when they can make a 300 hp VQ?? Will the car still be FWD?? Those other things you mention will obviously contribute to the driving experience, hopefully in not too much a negative fashion. In any case, I think the crown of 4DSC will be handed over to the Altima. I mean, think about it, that new Altima is bigger than a Gen 4 OR 5 Maxima! They'll keep the Altima light and nimble (relative to Maxima) while the Maxima grows to Maximum dimensions

DW

Originally posted by Jeff K
without a test drive. First issue is that the car is "drive-by-wire" and that's crappy for manual transmission owners due to throttle delay. I had a '00 VW Jetta and the only way to fix the delay was to chip the car but Nissan will be a little harder to do this to. Also the trans will be cable driven rather than rod so that means the shifter feel and feed back will be dull. I really think a test drive will cue my pain for this new 2002 but until that test drive I still think I made the correct choice.

Don't get me wrong, the power will be a nice addition but a 2001 with intake and Y-pipe will be in the 260hp range and you can get a better price on the 2001.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:49 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Hard to speculate

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Good Points. I was looking at it from the basic standpoint that the 2k2 Max SE 6 speed will have the best power/weight ratio of any Max ever built . . . .stock with a 6 speed. Acura and Nissan seem to be pushing the envelope when it comes to high horsepower front wheel drive cars. What happens when they can make a 300 hp VQ?? Will the car still be FWD?? Those other things you mention will obviously contribute to the driving experience, hopefully in not too much a negative fashion. In any case, I think the crown of 4DSC will be handed over to the Altima. I mean, think about it, that new Altima is bigger than a Gen 4 OR 5 Maxima! They'll keep the Altima light and nimble (relative to Maxima) while the Maxima grows to Maximum dimensions

DW
As for the drivetrain, the article I read mentioned all-wheel drive so that's also a possibility. It seems that Nissans finally taking note as to what sells and performance is the key. Power, weight and price will all play a big part in this. I'm interested in the factory backed aftermarket possibility. If Nismo hits the US I will be very happy and also if Nissan makes the Root supercharger that's on the Frontier(?) available for the cars I would be even happier.
Old 08-14-2001, 08:03 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Originally posted by guverment
toss all that functionality into a 3rd gen and you'd have the best performing and best looking maxima ever
I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: Hard to speculate

Originally posted by Jeff K

a 2001 with intake and Y-pipe will be in the 260hp range and you can get a better price on the 2001.
Id say more like 240 hp.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:21 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Hard to speculate

Ya I would say 240-245 as well depending if you have a true CAI or not on a 5thgen. The new 6spd 255HP Max "should" be a beast! It is going to have a hell of a time getting off the line without major wheel spin/hop. I see the new Max pushing 275hp+ with bolt ons. The first mods I would do on it would be suspension for sure!

Originally posted by madmax2k

Id say more like 240 hp.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Hard to speculate

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Ya I would say 240-245 as well depending if you have a true CAI or not on a 5thgen. The new 6spd 255HP Max "should" be a beast! It is going to have a hell of a time getting off the line without major wheel spin/hop. I see the new Max pushing 275hp+ with bolt ons. The first mods I would do on it would be suspension for sure!

I agree.

Even if the 3.0L could be modded to the same peak power level as the 3.5L, it will still be lacking in the low and midrange in comparison. Its hard to get 240+ ft lb out of the 3.0L. I dont think anyone has done that yet without FI or nitrous.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:12 PM

I hope they fix the 6-speed, every review I have read noted that the 6-speed needs to be "forced" into some gears..... that doesn't sound good.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Maxima Pics

We have one '02 Maxima GLE at our dealership. This car's engine is incredible. The 255hp is definately a huge improvement. The new shifter is a definite inprovement and I thought it was easier to shift around when up in the mountains. Plenty of power across the powerband. I always thought the 5th Gen were a bit underpowered compared to the 4th Gen. The handling is a bit loose for my tastes although it is a GLE! Although this isn't the complete redesigned version of the Maxima which isn't due out for a couple of years this new car is definatly better than the 2000 and 2001 models. Enjoy the pics!

Later,
Lats
Old 08-14-2001, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 02 Maxima Pics

Can you post more than one pic at a time?!?!?!
Here's another...
Old 08-14-2001, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 02 Maxima Pics

One final pic...