General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Besides my S/C problems....my Check Engine light decides to pop in...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 10:15 PM

Earlier this week my Check Engine light came on. I was like "Oh great, more fun. I didn't have enough headaches with the oil leak and having to rebuild the S/C." Anyways, I decode it tonite. I get codes 0304 and 1001. I decode it using the vbxmaxima decoder. They are Knock Sensor and Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater. Ok, so I have that....Now what do i do. I guess I could take it to my mechanic friend at the Nissan dealership, but the service manager would probably tell me to go f*ck myself because I have a S/C on there. I need help....Too much stress..........AHHHHHHH

-Mike
Old 08-15-2001, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Screaminfast
Earlier this week my Check Engine light came on. I was like "Oh great, more fun. I didn't have enough headaches with the oil leak and having to rebuild the S/C." Anyways, I decode it tonite. I get codes 0304 and 1001. I decode it using the vbxmaxima decoder. They are Knock Sensor and Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater. Ok, so I have that....Now what do i do. I guess I could take it to my mechanic friend at the Nissan dealership, but the service manager would probably tell me to go f*ck myself because I have a S/C on there. I need help....Too much stress..........AHHHHHHH

-Mike

Now you understand why I sold my SC, no Pun intended. I wish I could tell you whats wrong but I have no clue? Good luck bro..
Old 08-15-2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Now you understand why I sold my SC, no Pun intended. I wish I could tell you whats wrong but I have no clue? Good luck bro..

This is disheartening. The S/C is probably the biggest upgrade potential there is for this car and looks to me there are bugs galore. Ontop of that, it is the ONLY supercharger kit available and if its gonna compromise reliablity that much forget it. And whats the fastest running times with a blower anyway? The 13s? Maybe I wont keep modding the car afterall, its not worth it...the more it seems, the more the maxima is a reliable luxury family car, which is first before the performance part.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:41 AM
Lyt97SC

1 word: nitrous (and lots of it)

Old 08-16-2001, 05:13 AM

don't worry

The o2 sensor most likely tripped the knock sensor. I would reset the ECU and drive it around and see if it some on. If it does and you get the same codes, replace the FRONT o2 sensor that the code points to and then reset the ECU and drive. I am willing to bet you will not see the light anymore for either the 02 or the crank sensor.

SHUMAX
Old 08-16-2001, 05:34 AM

I'm with Shumax on this. Good luck. Damn, now I'M thinking twice. Maybe a turbocharger...
Old 08-16-2001, 05:44 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Ya when i had a bad sensor i got BOTH those codes. I think if you have the O2 sensor one it trips the other one, but if you just have the KnocK sensor you have problems. Talk to coz@ultimatez.com 66 bucks shipped for an O2 sensor and he nice and fast. i bet that's all it is, don't you run rich with the s/c?? if so i bet it was on it's way out and this did it in. or maybe you just unplugged it by accident.
Old 08-16-2001, 06:03 AM

Thanks so much guys....I'm gonna replace all three O2 sensors when I put the rebuilt blower back in. Do you think this could by why my car was running really funky? I think that its very well possible that when I put the fuel pump, the o2 sensor went then, or was at least malfuctioning. Hence, my weird lean rich problem.

-Mike
Old 08-16-2001, 06:08 AM

The SC has little or nothing to do with the MIL coming on. This can be caused by something as simple as starting the car without the fuel-filler cap securely in place. Most likely it will be a bad O2 sensor. Have these checked first.

Some other comments...

Any mod to your car has the potential to cause problems. If you have zero tolerance for headaches, leave your car stock or have mods professionally installed (like me).

The V1 SC kit is amazingly trouble-free considering it's complexity and immediate benefits. I have had my kit on for more than 2 years and almost 39k miles. I only had one problem with it (oil drain hose) which has been permanently fixed.

The V2 kit is a different story. Stillen's customer service has also been faltering or downright failing recently.

There are more SC kits on Maximas now than ever before, many of them which were bought used, and it's rare to see a post with a serious problem with it (other than pulleys gone bad and such).

Jim
Old 08-16-2001, 06:18 AM

I have changed my knock sensor ...

Knock sensor code 0304 means your knock sensor itself of the harness to it is bad. This will cause your ECU to think your engine is detonating and will retard timing and you will feel a top end power loss...

The part from nissan is about $140 for a mechanic and labor on it is about 20 min tops .. it's located in between the cylinder banks and is bolted to the block .. with good tools it shouldn't be a difficult job

Good luck

Ant
Old 08-16-2001, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
The SC has little or nothing to do with the MIL coming on. This can be caused by something as simple as starting the car without the fuel-filler cap securely in place. Most likely it will be a bad O2 sensor. Have these checked first.

Some other comments...

Any mod to your car has the potential to cause problems. If you have zero tolerance for headaches, leave your car stock or have mods professionally installed (like me).

The V1 SC kit is amazingly trouble-free considering it's complexity and immediate benefits. I have had my kit on for more than 2 years and almost 39k miles. I only had one problem with it (oil drain hose) which has been permanently fixed.

The V2 kit is a different story. Stillen's customer service has also been faltering or downright failing recently.

There are more SC kits on Maximas now than ever before, many of them which were bought used, and it's rare to see a post with a serious problem with it (other than pulleys gone bad and such).

Jim
Right but why are most of these S/C systems being sold used in the first place? Emax straight out said he sold his cause it was a headache. Also, being that stillen's customer service is going downhill and they are the ONLY maker of the kit short of doing a custom turbo that also doesnt help the odds. What I'm driving at is the more I read about stories like this, the less enthusiastic I am about modifying this car. Makes me think twice before I go modifying it to make it loose even more resale value.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:51 AM

...... have mods professionally installed (like me).

Jim

I am w/ jjw95sc 100%. If EVERYTHING is installed professionally and correctly these problems don't exist.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Administrator

don't change all three sensors.. that is stupid.. just change the front one.. no need to change a sensor that is working..
Old 08-16-2001, 09:59 AM

They tend to get 'tired' as the car gets older though. If he want's a 'clean' install ,and has the money go for it.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
They tend to get 'tired' as the car gets older though. If he want's a 'clean' install ,and has the money go for it.
ya, they are rated for 100k miles but after 60 or so they start getting a little tired. with the new fuel pump and a s/c i'd say replace them all and start from scratch.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:22 PM

More reason why I'm going to get my supercharger professionally installed. A friend of mine said he could help. It's not that I don't trust him, but this is a major install, so I want the right people working on it. The shop I'm going to get the supercharger install already done two supercharged Maximas. However, the price they will charge won't be cheap.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:29 PM

IMHO, If you are a DIY with tools and experiance a SC is an easy install. The issue I have is related to the shops mechanics giving a hoot. With the work I have been doing on my car recently Their were times when it would have been rel easy to say "thats good enough", when it could be better and move on, but I did not and took the extra steps to get it done right. A shops mechanic who is paid by the job or flat rate would be more likley to over look the extra TLC that an install like this needs to be done right. Then when if somthing goes wrong you have the hassle of dropping the car off to them and more than likley they will put you off until their newer jobs that they are getting payed for are done until they look at your return visit that they will be getting no money for. If you do it your self you can fix the problems more promptly, and save your self some time and hassle AND YOU ARE SURE IT WAS DONE RIGHT! I have great piece of mind when I do work on my car because I now it was done right because I did it my self and not second guessing that a mechanic forgot to tighten somthing properly, etc...
Old 08-16-2001, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
The shop I'm going to get the supercharger install already done two supercharged Maximas.
Wich shop? Sonic Boom? PALEESSSEEEE!!! Dont let them rip you off. Did you ask them for pictures or some info on the car's, perhaps they could hook you up with the cars to check out their work. I dont think there are any SC Max's in New Orleans or SE Lousyana, dont you think we would know about them? Not that I dont think Sonic Boom could do it, just that they are sh!ttin you and rippin you off.

If its not SB who and how much?
Old 08-16-2001, 02:10 PM

Got a price on the O2 sensors.

My dealer cost:
Front 2 O2s: $65
Rear O2: $109

Thats expensive. Can I get like regular ones from AutoZone, like Bosch or something? Are those cheaper than OEM?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2001, 02:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Professionally installed = no problems?!?!?!?

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read on this forum this week!!!

So many people blame messed up SC's on the installer, but look at what happened to Jane's car when she had he SC INSTALLED BY STILLEN. Hmmmmmm.... professional? Yes. Develper of the V2 kit? Yes. Screw ups left and right with the kit after a professional install? Yes.

With my SC, Turbo95Max and I installed it. Problems so far? Hesitation cruising at 90 (had hesitation before SC install) and boost sensor (fixed a glitch afterwards and no problems now). Are we professional installers? No, but we had less problems occuring compared to Jane's car.

Summary... don't blame the installer because the SC kit might be the problem.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Screaminfast
Got a price on the O2 sensors.

My dealer cost:
Front 2 O2s: $65
Rear O2: $109

Thats expensive. Can I get like regular ones from AutoZone, like Bosch or something? Are those cheaper than OEM?

Thanks
did you get those prices from coz@ultimatez.com, when i replaced mine they were a little less. and you can't get these sensors in any store. they are hard to find, they told me they could order them for like 90 bucks, and by the way. OEM are bosch
Old 08-16-2001, 10:57 PM
BlkCat

I phoned around and took my SC kit to a speed shop that had experience installing Vortechs onto Mustangs. All I can say is that experience shows in the workmanship. Luckily for me I was their first Maxima install and they underquoted me for the labour. Being really good about it they stuck to their estimate!

BlkCat (aka Vandanno)

'98 SE auto
V2 Stillen SC
Don's VB Mod
B&M supercooler
Stillen body kit
Koni Sport Shocks
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Courtesy FSTB & clear corners
PIAA superwhites

to come:
Blitz BOV
Stillen rear sway bar

Old 08-17-2001, 02:11 AM

hell yeah, gotts have those hot burning oxidizers to melt away at those beautifully designed holes in your engine that we call "cylinders"

Originally posted by Lyt97SC
1 word: nitrous (and lots of it)
Old 08-17-2001, 02:14 AM

I'm impressed, that must've been a tough install. How much experience do you have in a garage?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Professionally installed = no problems?!?!?!?

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read on this forum this week!!!

So many people blame messed up SC's on the installer, but look at what happened to Jane's car when she had he SC INSTALLED BY STILLEN. Hmmmmmm.... professional? Yes. Develper of the V2 kit? Yes. Screw ups left and right with the kit after a professional install? Yes.

With my SC, Turbo95Max and I installed it. Problems so far? Hesitation cruising at 90 (had hesitation before SC install) and boost sensor (fixed a glitch afterwards and no problems now). Are we professional installers? No, but we had less problems occuring compared to Jane's car.

Summary... don't blame the installer because the SC kit might be the problem.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by melanthius
hell yeah, gotts have those hot burning oxidizers to melt away at those beautifully designed holes in your engine that we call "cylinders"

the only problem you'll have with nitrous is if YOU don't know how to use it. you will run very hot if you run lean, so make sure you use the right jets and get a new pump and you won't have problems. Lots of people on here are running nos and i have heard LESS problems than with the s/c.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

the only problem you'll have with nitrous is if YOU don't know how to use it. you will run very hot if you run lean, so make sure you use the right jets and get a new pump and you won't have problems. Lots of people on here are running nos and i have heard LESS problems than with the s/c.
Very true but now is not on constantly, so for those of us who want constant power S/C is the way to go. And with NOS you ahve to worry about opening it up, and closing, and if you are on the street and don't have a bottle opener then it kinda looks odd if you jump out of the car and open the trunk, its sorta takes away from the effect.

I have had my SC on for a while and the only "problems", I have had is the ECU light which is due to the car reading boost, but that has not occured for a while. And then I have the 2 PSI issue, but if I am putting down 245 stock to the wheels no other mods i.e. y-pipe, lower pulley tuning, etc., then there is no 2PSI issue, I fault that on my boost gauge installation. Over all I am very impressed with the SC and the installation came from Don, with the help of a few other ppl. all you ahve to do is take your time and follow throught, the hardest part was prob the vacuum hoses, just b/c the stillen instructions are not that clear on where each hose goes from the T.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:58 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by melanthius
I'm impressed, that must've been a tough install. How much experience do you have in a garage?

It's not that hard if you have the right tools to work with. I have enough experience to do stuff.

Mr. 2 PSI:
Old 08-17-2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Wich shop? Sonic Boom? PALEESSSEEEE!!! Dont let them rip you off. Did you ask them for pictures or some info on the car's, perhaps they could hook you up with the cars to check out their work. I dont think there are any SC Max's in New Orleans or SE Lousyana, dont you think we would know about them? Not that I dont think Sonic Boom could do it, just that they are sh!ttin you and rippin you off.

If its not SB who and how much?

Matt, I was going to ask you to help, but I know you had your own problems lately. So, I know you are having a major headache, thus, I'm not sure if I want to bother you with the project. Of course, if you can, I would like you to help me with the install. However, as you know, my knowledge is rather thin. If you help me, you probably have to do the install for me, while I'll just sit on my ***. I'm known to screw a few things up in the past.

Yes, I got a quote from Sonic Boom. How much? About $750! Crazy, huh? I didn't know about the price before, now that I know, it seem a bit expensive to me.

You're right, I haven't seen any supercharged Maximas around. Maybe the two guys just don't even know about this board. Then again, Sonic Boom maybe just BSing me.

I would more than appreciate it if you can help me with the supercharger install Matt. I'm in no rush, I know you probably have to clear up your problems first.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:10 AM

Matt, I was going to ask you to help, but I know you had your own problems lately. So, I know you are having a major headache, thus, I'm not sure if I want to bother you with the project.

I would more than appreciate it if you can help me with the supercharger install Matt. I'm in no rush, I know you probably have to clear up your problems first.
I'd be glad to help. Thanks for understanding about my time and the current project I have. It may be a few weeks before I can do it. I'll see you at Keiths tomorrow and we can talk about it then.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

I'll stop by to drop off the Intrax's to Blake, not sure what time he'll be there though. My VB hasn't come in yet, hopefully by tomorrow, it will, then Keith can help me with it on Sunday. Is your car running yet? Well, we can talk more about it tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:39 PM

I'll stop by to drop off the Intrax's to Blake, not sure what time he'll be there though. My VB hasn't come in yet, hopefully by tomorrow, it will, then Keith can help me with it on Sunday. Is your car running yet? Well, we can talk more about it tomorrow.
See ya around 9am at Keiths.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:17 PM

just a reminder

when ever you are working on the car disconnect the battery. when you are finished, make sure everything is connected back to normal. then reconnect the battery. and the light shouldn't come on. peace out, sleeper