General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Results with Racing Gas . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 11:48 AM

I'm posting this in the general forum too for those of you who don't venture into the 5th Gen forum too much. Also what have some of yall paid for racing gas?

First let me start off with one word, "UNBELIEVABLE!!" If you guys have never tried
the 110 octane racing gas you've got to try it at least once b/c it is great. (I can
forsee it as very addicting) I tried to go out cruising on Friday night but it rained so
I had to put it off till last night. I was able to get into two races, one with an SI
civic with AEM intake and his Cat removed (too easy of a kill to go into any detail)
and one with a 5-speed Mustang 5.0. I was almost home when I see this 5.0 cross
in front of me at the stop sign so I decide to see if he wants to play. This guy had
a serious sounding exhaust, two A-pillar gauges (one I could tell was an A/F
gauge), and a tach with shift light the size of a grandfather clock's face. I wasn't
quite sure what I was getting into but I said what the hell. (Killing the riced out
Civics and Preludes was getting boring) I pull up along side him on the highway and
look over to catch his attention and then we both hammer it at 60 mph (very
SWEET spot in my rpm range to hit it). I get the jump and start to slowly pull on
him until my car shifted from 2nd to 3rd (around 80 mph) and then he gained a little
on me (his front bumper to my front door). Once I hit 90 mph and my rpms started
climbing (BOOST baby BOOST) I started pulling away from him pretty bad and when
I shut it down around 110 mph I was about 2 car lengths ahead of him as in I can
see him in my rearview mirror. We get to a stop sign and I wait for him and as he
pulls up along side I look over and we both hammer it. We both got some pretty
good tire spin (he spun worse than me) but I immediately jumped out front and
really started pulling away from him at around 35 mph. We raced up to around 80
mph until I saw him again in my rearview mirror. THAT RACING GAS IS AWESOME!!
At the next stop sign I roll down my window as he pulls up and tell the guy nice run
and he just looks over and says Damn what do you run in the 1/4 mile? I said,
"Don't know I've never taken her to the track yet." He responded, "You are fast as
Hell and I've put alot of work into my car! Anyway good run." I could definitely feel
a difference on running with racing gas versus the 93 octane stuff but it is rather
expensive. $7.32/gallon but the guys at my shop sell it to me for $6.50/gallon. I
bought 5-gallons so it was good for about 100 miles of driving around. Later
Old 08-19-2001, 11:55 AM

i wanna try some racing gas....i wonder how it affects n/a cars...
Old 08-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

at the track it did nothing for me.,... I'm also afraid to use it because everybody was telling me it will blow my head gasket.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:35 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Racing Gas has no effect according to danny b.

I always wondered about racing gas. Could you really feel the difference ?

Daniel B. Martin said it has no effect and is a waste of money. Becuase The maxima engine is set for premium (90-93 octane) gas and anything more is wastefull.

Hmm ??
Old 08-19-2001, 02:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Race gas is a waste of money on a NA car. High octane fuels are less explosive, honest truth. If you aren't developing the compression to burn the higher octane fuel, then you're just wasting money and possibly screwing up o2 sensors and clogging your cat due to the fact that some of the fuel won't burn.

Turbos, SC, and NOS cars use higher octane fuels to limit potentially devesating detonation created by the massive amount of compression with the power adder. NA cars are fine unless you're going with a higher compression ratio than stock.

Dave
Old 08-19-2001, 02:54 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Dave B
Race gas is a waste of money on a NA car. High octane fuels are less explosive, honest truth. If you aren't developing the compression to burn the higher octane fuel, then you're just wasting money and possibly screwing up o2 sensors and clogging your cat due to the fact that some of the fuel won't burn.

Turbos, SC, and NOS cars use higher octane fuels to limit potentially devesating detonation created by the massive amount of compression with the power adder. NA cars are fine unless you're going with a higher compression ratio than stock.

Dave
Yea. He is right. That makes sence. I'll just stick with premium for all occasions.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:57 PM
OG :)

You are.. DMan!
Old 08-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i go to the track on e and try to get a few gallons of race gas so my nos works better, never ran it on the street though.