General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Second Y-pipe - Cattman SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Friday I got my Cattman SS Y-pipe for my 4th gen. I took pictures and I'm going to do a side by side comparison with my Warpspeed Y-pipe (coming soon)

First impressions: Cattman's Y-pipe is AWESOME! Just the whole presentation of the shipping is even better. The pipe comes securely shipped and the flanges are wrapped in bubble wrap. It comes with OEM gaskets and directions. OEM gaskets are much nicer.

To everyone out there....It looks like cattman's flex section is a LINED flex section!! Yes, I was surprised too, but I need to double check with Brian.

I have the warpspeed Y-pipe, I've replaced it with there lined flex section, so I can give insight on the differences of the three setups of Y-pipes.

Hopefully this weekend, I'm getting the car dynoed with my warpspeed Y-pipe and then with the cattman Y-pipe, so we'll see if there is any power difference.

**One question: Would two dyno runs be ok? One with warpspeed and one with cattman? Or should I get four runs of two each to get a better average?
Old 08-20-2001, 07:02 AM
Administrator

get 4 runs..

i want to know also.. because if you find better results with the cattman.. i am selling my pipe also..

that and warpspeeds website says their dyno is better than the "other guy"

Originally posted by breaux124
Friday I got my Cattman SS Y-pipe for my 4th gen. I took pictures and I'm going to do a side by side comparison with my Warpspeed Y-pipe (coming soon)

First impressions: Cattman's Y-pipe is AWESOME! Just the whole presentation of the shipping is even better. The pipe comes securely shipped and the flanges are wrapped in bubble wrap. It comes with OEM gaskets and directions. OEM gaskets are much nicer.

To everyone out there....It looks like cattman's flex section is a LINED flex section!! Yes, I was surprised too, but I need to double check with Brian.

I have the warpspeed Y-pipe, I've replaced it with there lined flex section, so I can give insight on the differences of the three setups of Y-pipes.

Hopefully this weekend, I'm getting the car dynoed with my warpspeed Y-pipe and then with the cattman Y-pipe, so we'll see if there is any power difference.

**One question: Would two dyno runs be ok? One with warpspeed and one with cattman? Or should I get four runs of two each to get a better average?
Old 08-20-2001, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Bry.. if you need help paying for the dyno runs let me know
Old 08-20-2001, 07:15 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't think you'll find any measureable gains going with different Y-pipes. Simply removing the pre-cats is where all the power is. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother doing dynos on both pipes. I think it's a waste.

Did you have problems with the Warp Speed pipe?

Dave
Old 08-20-2001, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I don't think you'll find any measureable gains going with different Y-pipes. Simply removing the pre-cats is where all the power is. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother doing dynos on both pipes. I think it's a waste.

Did you have problems with the Warp Speed pipe?

Dave

Sprint: Thanks for the offer, but I had a great weekend at Atlantic City, so it's on Donald Trump.

Dave: I had issues with my original warpspeed Y-pipe, and again even with the new lined flex section that's the reason for the new Y-pipe. I'm getting it dynoed just out of curiosity, and because of the extra money I got this weekend.

My friend is a welder, so he knows his stuff. He said that the welds on the Cattman Y-pipe were Great. He was less than impressed with the Warpspeed welds. He also told me that TIG welding (which Brian Catts uses) requires much more skill and that these welds were some top quality welds.

His quote: "Guess this is for people who care about quality and performance. This is a much better Y-pipe than the first one you got."
Old 08-20-2001, 08:17 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by breaux124
His quote: "Guess this is for people who care about quality and performance. This is a much better Y-pipe than the first one you got."
Oh no....more facts.....

I sort of wish Warpspeed would accept their position as being the value leader and recognize Cattman as the "exotic" high-priced one.

Cattman doesn't take shots, why do they need to? I don't really see the point.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Oh no....more facts.....

I sort of wish Warpspeed would accept their position as being the value leader and recognize Cattman as the "exotic" high-priced one.

Facts... yes they can scare some people

I'm not really expecting much of a power difference between the Y-pipes, but it'll be nice to see if the Warpspeed Y-pipe makes more HP, since they claim to versus "the other guy's Y-pipe."
Old 08-20-2001, 08:03 PM

Cattman has taken shots before, I've read a post or two of his that don't mention his competitors in the kindest light.

I don't see what Cattman does that's so exotic, it's not like nobody else can do it. We'll just have to wait and see if anyone is willing to. Cattman's just been doing it longer, give some of the new guys some time. Competition is good. It's not like the Cattman Y-Pipes haven't had their fair share of problems either.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Oh no....more facts.....