General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hey MightyMax...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2000, 08:22 AM
Eman97SE

Answer to your coilover question;
"Which part is the Pillow mount? What does it look like? How do I know if the ball joint is binding? Thanks."

Under the hood, you've got the camber plate, which bolts to the car where the strut tower bar mounts. Within that you have the pillow mount which rides in the big groove cut in the camber plate, inside that is the ball joint. You'll know if it's binding, because everytime you turn sharply you'll hear the sounds of the springs compressing, and then a big "thunk" as it uncompresses. If you have this problem, get a friend to turn the steering wheel while you watch under the hood. You'll see one of the struts (watch the adjustment screw on top of the strut) rotating fully as the wheel is turned, the other will stop and then start again. The binding comes when the suspension geometry gets screwed up which puts force on the ball joint. Normally, if nothing else is wrong, an alignment will fix this. In my case, I hit a big bump in the highway which caused the pillow mount to move. DOH!
Hope this helps,
Eric

Old 08-27-2000, 11:09 AM

Thanks alot!

I've been pulling my hair out because of the noise. I had the aligment done so I think its the rubber bushings on top of the perch. I'll check it out.