General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sluggish car after I cleaned the trottle body...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 07:44 AM

Sluggish car after I cleaned the throttle body..

So I cleaned my filter (was not that dirty 10K miles)on my warpspeed CAI, checked my plugs (still cleaned bosch platnium 13K miles) and unplugged the battery all night to reset the ecu. but the car is still not running at its best. I have a 97 SE with 60K miles (with 60K maintenance done two weeks ago).
Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
kajeno

Now that I think about it, a week or so ago, I was running low on gas and had to stop to get some. But it was not my usual station and it only have 89 octane and I seriously think that it was bad qualily gasoline. Maybe this is my problem
Old 08-30-2001, 08:09 AM

Check ALL of the vacuum hoses and sensors attached to the throttle body, make sure you have very little slack on the throttle cable, and check all of your connections on the intake again. There was NO need to reset the ECU after cleaning. BTW, did you use a NEW throttle body gasket or reuse the old one. You may have an intake leak that is accounting for all of this.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:14 AM

When I cleaned the throlle body, I did not remove it. All I did was removing the CAI plumbing and used a toothbrush to clean the TB.
Check my original post. I edited a little..
Thanks
Old 08-30-2001, 04:33 PM

An unplugged MAF sensor will cause your ECU to enter "limp home mode." A MAF sensor inadvertently made dirty while you cleaned the throttle body can cause driveability problems. Like Medic said, double-check everything.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:15 AM

My problem is my brakes

As I was driving yesterday, I noticed that the car would slow down much quicker when I am in neutral and not applying my brakes. I could alos smell them. That is my problem. My brakes are sticky..
I replaced them three months ago with axis metal master pads (all around), and the problem started about a week ago. There goes my weekend double checking and reinstalling my brakes..