General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trouble with Neons

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 01:07 PM
maximaR

I just got a pair of interior neons for my max. They are the kind that plug into the cigarette lighter, but i dont want to do that , because it will be ugly and sloppy looking , does anyone know a way that you can wire them behind the lighter ? like , if you cut the wires or something and hook them up to the lighter ?? Thanks

Old 08-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Administrator

why don't you run them off something else..

all you need is a positive 12 v.. so if you get a switch you can run one from your parking lights or if you want it on when the parking lights are not on.. run them straight from the battery..

run it straight to a switch.. the only reason they say cigarette lighter is because its a constant 12 v when the car is on..
Old 08-30-2001, 01:22 PM
maximaR

Originally posted by SprintMax
why don't you run them off something else..

all you need is a positive 12 v.. so if you get a switch you can run one from your parking lights or if you want it on when the parking lights are not on.. run them straight from the battery..

run it straight to a switch.. the only reason they say cigarette lighter is because its a constant 12 v when the car is on..
Ill try that , but i dont know if the wires are long enough to run from under my seat to a switch. Is there any way i could run them to like my headlight fuse or something ? i guess i could maybe get some extra wire , and run that to the battery, and then have the switch mounted somewhere in the dash.

Old 08-30-2001, 01:41 PM
maximaR

sprintmax

I have a switch already hooked up for my driving lights that i put in a while ago, can i run them off of that switch ??

Old 08-30-2001, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by maximaR

Ill try that , but i dont know if the wires are long enough to run from under my seat to a switch. Is there any way i could run them to like my headlight fuse or something ? i guess i could maybe get some extra wire , and run that to the battery, and then have the switch mounted somewhere in the dash.
yeah just to to the store by some 14 or 16 gauge wire and run your switch.. i have my NOS switch in the extra hole by the cruise control.. you can put it there or mount it by the center console
Old 08-30-2001, 01:53 PM
Administrator

here is a picture of where my Switch is

Old 08-30-2001, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Re: sprintmax

I have a switch already hooked up for my driving lights that i put in a while ago, can i run them off of that switch ??
sure you can.. if you want them to come on when the driving lights come on
Old 08-30-2001, 02:13 PM
maximaR

switch

I have a switch already put in for my driving lights that i did,i think there are like 1 or 2 extra things to hook it up to , that should probably work , but what am i supposed to do about the part on the neon , that actually went into the lighter , just cut it off and strip the wire so it will work ??

Old 08-30-2001, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have several neons in my car. And all of them have their own switch. I just ran a wire in from the battery and hooked the wire to the switch and then hooked the neon to the switch.

As for cutting the neon, I always went by black wire=power and black wire with white strip=negative.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 PM

What kind

What kind of Neon did ya get and for how much?

Thanks,
Andre
Old 08-30-2001, 04:36 PM
maximaR

Originally posted by clee130
I have several neons in my car. And all of them have their own switch. I just ran a wire in from the battery and hooked the wire to the switch and then hooked the neon to the switch.

As for cutting the neon, I always went by black wire=power and black wire with white strip=negative.
Clee - ok , i think i see what you mean . did you run a seperate ground wire with the battery and the switch , or just one wire straight from the possitive of the battery to the switch , and then ground the wire from the light?? what did you ground your light to ? and how did you get rid of the cigarette adapter , just cut it and strip it ?
p.s. do you have dual exhaust ??

megamax - they have them at pep boys , i got 2 10 inch red neon, the company is QUEST industries , they were about 25 bucks, they have bigger and smaller ones , but the 10 is best for under my seats i think. i had one plugged in already , just to the lighter , it looks so nice, it has an adjuster so you can have it pulse with music, or zap kinda like lighting , and you can also just have it on all the time . if i can figure out how to hook it up it will be nice.

Old 08-30-2001, 05:13 PM
Administrator

you can use the two wires from the cigarette lighter.. just keep in mind they won't come on until you have the car in the ON position..

i think clee's dual's are the Adobe Brand
Old 08-30-2001, 05:20 PM
maximaR

how so ?

Originally posted by SprintMax
you can use the two wires from the cigarette lighter.. just keep in mind they won't come on until you have the car in the ON position..

i think clee's dual's are the Adobe Brand
how do i wire them to that though ? just splice the 2 wires that go to the lighter and attach the neon wires to them ? or can i just hook the neon wires up to the metal part of the lighter where the wires connect to it ?

Old 08-30-2001, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Re: how so ?

no no.. don't do that metal thing..

pull the center console out.. then you will see the red and black wires for the cig lighter.. splice and tap those wires..

but.. the neons are going to come on automatically when you start the car.. and always be on when the car is on..

what i would do is.. get a switch... and wire it to use the switch.. and use the cig lighter wires as your constant power and constant ground

how do i wire them to that though ? just splice the 2 wires that go to the lighter and attach the neon wires to them ? or can i just hook the neon wires up to the metal part of the lighter where the wires connect to it ?
Old 08-30-2001, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hope I explain this well.

I have two blacklights. One in the driver's side footwell and one in the passenger's side footwell. I ran the wires from the passenger side to the driver's side and spliced those into the driver's side's wires.

Now, the driver's sides. I ran the power wire up to a switch in my center console (see attached pic). Then, I ran a wire connected directly to the battery inside the car and up to the center console so it's connected to the switch also.

Now, the negative wire. I ran that directly from the blacklights to a screw in a metal plate that's behind the kickpanel on the driver's side.

As for the wires... just cut them (not too close to the plug though, just in case you want to reattach them at some later date for whatever reason) and strip them.

Clee - ok , i think i see what you mean . did you run a seperate ground wire with the battery and the switch , or just one wire straight from the possitive of the battery to the switch , and then ground the wire from the light?? what did you ground your light to ? and how did you get rid of the cigarette adapter , just cut it and strip it ?
p.s. do you have dual exhaust ??
Yes... I have a dual exhaust ... powered by Adobe.