General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why does a Prelude cost as much as a Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 09:04 AM
is invisible

Damn kids...they always ruin everything.

When I posted this thread, I wasn't expecting a flame war...but I should have known better. I just wanted to learn more about the pros/cons of both cars...as I will be considering both as my next. I'll say this again: The Maxima is not the world's greatest car...so don't flatter yourself.

Mishap..I appreciate your input and "defenses" very much.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:11 AM
is invisible

Stupid blanket statements...

Originally posted by inertia777

I have 122,000 on my 96 GXE. Let's see how that prelude is running or not running at 256k miles...
If one Maxima has no problems and many miles all Maximas will have the same.

Because the Prelude is not running at 256k means that no Prelude will reach 256k.

What kind of ****ed up logic is that?

Hmmm...I thought Hondas were renowned for their longevity and reliability.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Stupid blanket statements...

Let me say something on Mishap's part. He is my little brother and is intimately familiar with Maximas. He's done more work on Maximas than many members here so I would say he is in a position to comment on both cars. He is not trying to start a flame war, he is simply opinionated at times about these things. And many of the things he said were in general response to a lot of the stuff he's seen on these boards before about how the Maxima is the "perfect" car. It irritates him to see people generalizing about things they don't know anything about and so he responded. It was not directed at specific members on this post, it was just a general response to things. He may have misread a few posts. This person Inertia's post is a prime example of the ignorance that some people post here. As you all know, I love my car and have spent way too much money on it, but I will be the first to admit that Maximas have problems. And honestly, my brother's '99 Prelude is more fun to drive than my car.

So let us get back to the original point of this post which was asking why Prelude's hold resale better than Maximas. The main reason is Honda's just hold their value better. That and Nissan shoots themselves in the foot everytime they offer those huge rebates at the end of a model run, ie the 4th gen. For a while, used Maximas were being sold for more than new Maximas. What kind of logic is that? So blame Nissan for low resale.

Originally posted by CoolMax

If one Maxima has no problems and many miles all Maximas will have the same.

Because the Prelude is not running at 256k means that no Prelude will reach 256k.

What kind of ****ed up logic is that?

Hmmm...I thought Hondas were renowned for their longevity and reliability.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:10 AM

:)

All I'd like to say is if your brother knew anything he would not have said a maxima's interior was rattle prone. It doesn't have anything to do with your 35 series tire, 19 inch wheels, and a coil over setup. Na that has nothing to do with it of course not. Preludes are coolio

R
Old 09-04-2001, 10:40 AM

Re: :)

How do you know my brother doesn't know anything? He drove my car for 20K, this was before the 19"s or the coilovers. It rattled then, it rattles now. Ok, I drove my car stock for 2 years. It had rattles then. I put the 17"s on, it rattle, put the lowering springs on, it rattled, got the 19"s and coilovers, it rattles. After the first year, my car has always rattled. Do you know how much sound deadening material I've put in my car trying to kill rattles? The 19"s don't help, but the car rattled well before I installed them. Do a search and find out what others have to say. Hell, read the post on Minimas. A lot of people have rattles in stock or very lightly modified cars. Some people get lucky and get a rattle car, most of us get rattles. It's kind of like how Shing gets slammed every time he dares say something bad about the Maxima. He's right, the flagship car from Nissan should be built to a higher standard that it is. There is no excuse for it and I'm starting to get tired of people thinking that just because they thinkt hey have a perfect car that everyone else has to feel the same way.

Originally posted by Gumby510
All I'd like to say is if your brother knew anything he would not have said a maxima's interior was rattle prone. It doesn't have anything to do with your 35 series tire, 19 inch wheels, and a coil over setup. Na that has nothing to do with it of course not. Preludes are coolio

R
Old 09-04-2001, 10:58 AM

How do you know my brother doesn't know anything? He drove my car for 20K, this was before the 19"s or the coilovers. It rattled then, it rattles now. Ok, I drove my car stock for 2 years. It had rattles then. I put the 17"s on, it rattle, put the lowering springs on, it rattled, got the 19"s and coilovers, it rattles. After the first year, my car has always rattled. Do you know how much sound deadening material I've put in my car trying to kill rattles? The 19"s don't help, but the car rattled well before I installed them. Do a search and find out what others have to say. Hell, read the post on Minimas. A lot of people have rattles in stock or very lightly modified cars. Some people get lucky and get a rattle car, most of us get rattles. It's kind of like how Shing gets slammed every time he dares say something bad about the Maxima. He's right, the flagship car from Nissan should be built to a higher standard than it is. There is no excuse for it and I'm starting to get tired of people thinking that just because they think they have a perfect car that everyone else has to feel the same way.

R
Old 09-04-2001, 12:57 PM

We are comparing apples to oranges here ...

The Maxima is a FWD 4 door sedan and a Prelude falls in the category of sports coupe. In my opinion, they are the best in their respective categories. I bought a Maxima because I wanted a bigger car in the family, although the Prelude handles and drives a lot better (according to my road tests). So, now that my wife gets the bigger car, I am in the market for a 2001 SH .... yipee!!

Let's not compare apples to oranges.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:22 PM

R
My Prelude is running on coilovers w/ a higher spring rate and it doesn't have nearly the number of rattles as Shadow's car. Occasionally the passenger seats vibrates a bit when empty but that's it.

Shadow's car started rattling at 4K almost 20K before he even bought an intake. It's been to the dealer 3 times for that alone including after the 12K bumper/bumper where he got charged $80 for them to waste his time. They dismantled everything in his door down to the window switches b/c they were all rattling and tightened them but it kept rattling anyway. His POS factory speakers could make both his door panels rattle pretty badly and it's never a sign of quality construction when a 5 watt paper speaker can make panels resonate. There are about 5-10lb of dynamat in each door just to keep them quiet now.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:02 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: :)

Originally posted by Shadow
It rattled then, it rattles now. Ok, I drove my car stock for 2 years. It had rattles then. I put the 17"s on, it rattle, put the lowering springs on, it rattled, got the 19"s and coilovers, it rattles. After the first year, my car has always rattled. Do you know how much sound deadening material I've put in my car trying to kill rattles? The 19"s don't help, but the car rattled well before I installed them.

Oh no.....the flagship is being minimized Shadow style.....

Do a search and find out what others have to say.

That requires effort, so no one will. And everyone loves the Minim....err....Maxima.

Hell, read the post on Minimas.

YES! Everyone please do! Are you a member?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=60533

Shadow,

I see you're not a member......yet you qualify. Which number would you like?

It's kind of like how Shing gets slammed every time he dares say something bad about the Maxima. He's right, the flagship car from Nissan should be built to a higher standard that it is. There is no excuse for it and I'm starting to get tired of people thinking that just because they think they have a perfect car that everyone else has to feel the same way.

Geez, the facts just flow hard from this post.......
Old 09-04-2001, 02:12 PM
is invisible

Re: We are comparing apples to oranges here ...

Originally posted by MAX99SE
The Maxima is a FWD 4 door sedan and a Prelude falls in the category of sports coupe. In my opinion, they are the best in their respective categories. I bought a Maxima because I wanted a bigger car in the family, although the Prelude handles and drives a lot better (according to my road tests). So, now that my wife gets the bigger car, I am in the market for a 2001 SH .... yipee!!

Let's not compare apples to oranges.

Thanks.
I'm comparing under a different category...value/oney/bang for the buck.

Watch out...I plan to be in the market for the same car!
Old 09-04-2001, 02:21 PM
is invisible

A couple Qs

How does the ride of a modded max compare to that of a modded 'lude? How about stock 'lude vs. modded Max?
Is the 4-cyl of the 'lude (modded with I/H/E) more buzzy/noisy than that of the v6 Max (I/Y/E)? Last one...how does the gas milage compare?
Old 09-04-2001, 02:40 PM

show me a honda with 257k miles and still running.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:44 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by willhunting
show me a honda with 257k miles and still running.
I'm sorry, but you asked:

http://www.hondabeat.com/hbeat/highmiles.cfm
Old 09-04-2001, 07:54 PM

all i have to say is "DAMN"!!!!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by willhunting
all i have to say is "DAMN"!!!!
c'mon man u got 1 more k to go and you'll match that honda
Old 09-04-2001, 11:24 PM

Mishap,

I don't know why I didn't recognize you before.

I know you from po.com, under another nic, in fact you live not too far away from me.

I saw that you mentioned something about Maximas not making power after 5K rpms. I have noticed that mine pulls harder and harder until it gets to about redline where it starts to flatten out.

The torque is very strong from 2K+.

I don't know why this debate was started honestly.

Both cars are so different. Like I said before, the only real similarity is 0-60, 1/4 mile & top speed, stock versus stock.

How they go about getting there is completely different.

Sport Sedan Vs. Sport Coupe.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:58 PM

Re: Mishap,

Well, he's 900 miles away right now at Cornell. I still live near you though. You're a Stone Mountain police officer? I think that's what Justin told me.

As for the power thing, Justin's experience is with my auto '97. And the power does drop around 5.5K or so. It just seems like it's making noise. A lot of other Maxima owners mention this also I believe. Just have to wait until next year when the direct port NOS kit goes in = )

Originally posted by VeeTec
I don't know why I didn't recognize you before.

I know you from po.com, under another nic, in fact you live not too far away from me.

I saw that you mentioned something about Maximas not making power after 5K rpms. I have noticed that mine pulls harder and harder until it gets to about redline where it starts to flatten out.

The torque is very strong from 2K+.

I don't know why this debate was started honestly.

Both cars are so different. Like I said before, the only real similarity is 0-60, 1/4 mile & top speed, stock versus stock.

How they go about getting there is completely different.

Sport Sedan Vs. Sport Coupe.