General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why Does Nissan Use Option "Packages"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 08:07 PM

I went in to look at the 2002 Altima and I got confused as **** when looking through the brochure. I think charliemike says it best:

''Nissan has the most assified option system in existence.
If you want HIDs and a 5-speed, you can't get the extra safety protection of the airbag package, or ABS. *blink* That makes a lot of freakin' sense.

If you want HIDs, you HAVE to get the rear spoiler and the sunroof (with the 5-speed). Again, WTF? , but what if I don't want a sunroof?

Want heated seats? Gotta get the automatic.

This is why Nissan is never going to be taken seriously. I realize it's so that Nissan can jack up the price on their car and make more money.I probably won't even consider an Altima because Nissan is so assbackwards.

Nissan is just stupid. Load the car out like Acura does and charge me whatever ... Just don't make things inexpicably mutually exclusive. That ****es me off and makes me not want to buy from them.''

Seriously though, why does Nissan uses these 'packages'? Is it to streamline production on the assembly line?
Old 09-02-2001, 08:10 PM
chris4o1

Originally posted by bioyuki
I went in to look at the 2002 Altima and I got confused as **** when looking through the brochure. I think charliemike says it best:

If you want HIDs and a 5-speed, you can't get the extra safety protection of the airbag package, or ABS. *blink* That makes a lot of freakin' sense.

If you want HIDs, you HAVE to get the rear spoiler and the sunroof (with the 5-speed). Again, WTF? , but what if I don't want a sunroof?

This is why Nissan is never going to be taken seriously. I realize it's so that Nissan can jack up the price on their car and make more money.I probably won't even consider an Altima because Nissan is so assbackwards.

Nissan is just stupid. Load the car out like Acura does and charge me whatever ... Just don't make things inexpicably mutually exclusive. That ****es me off and makes me not want to buy from them.''

Seriously though, why does Nissan uses these 'packages'? Is it to streamline production on the assembly line?
i totally agree with u, i hate the way nissan packages things.. for example,i wanted to get power seats on my SE but then i would have to get a fully loaded se..nissan is friggen retarded

Old 09-02-2001, 08:24 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by chris4o1

nissan is friggen retarded

Old 09-02-2001, 08:47 PM
PRINCE NISMO

It looks like Nissan wants to sell the 2K2 Altima and Maxima in one trim level....LOADED ! Because it's hard to find any one of these cars close to retail and with one or two options. It's a take it or leave it attitude.

Old 09-02-2001, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by bioyuki

sure you can. i went to nissandriven.com and did it.

wrong again. you don't have to get the rear spoiler. if you don't want the sunroof don't get the HIDs. Stop complaining.

wrong again. just don't pick HIDs.

once again, you are being dramatic. you do not want an altima because you get the sunroof with HIDs?? puhleeez!

Nissan is just stupid. Load the car out like Acura does and charge me whatever ... Just don't make things inexpicably mutually exclusive. That ****es me off and makes me not want to buy from them.
you should get the maxima then. you can load it up all you want.

no, because it simplifies the ordering process for the majority of buyers [/B]
Old 09-02-2001, 10:12 PM

Bleh. A lot of car companies do this. One, it gives the dealers the upper hand. Two, it's much easier and cheaper for manufacturing purposes. Three, they can sell more expensive cars.

Part of the reason that Nissan has made their system increasingly complex is because of the percentage of purchased trim levels and options. The ones with more options sell dramatically more. They're producing something like 8,000 GXEs this year or something ridiculous. My friend's mother just leased the 2001 and they wanted a GXE because all she does is run errands and doesn't want a lot of options she won't use because she's never in the car. They could not find one on Long Island, plus they wanted a lot for it, basically the same as an SE with more options.
You'd like to think that you could buy a 25-30K car selecting options one by one, but really the added manufacturing expense would drive that price up in the 40K range, unlike offering "packages." Sucks, but that's the way it is.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, other manufacturers do this, too.