General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stolen clear bumper lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 04:11 PM

i know there has been posts about this in the past so i apologize if this gets on anyone's nerves. i went out to my car today and on the way there i passed another maxima who seems to have had his clear bumper lights stolen. there's nothing there, no lenses at all and not even any wires hanging lose. thankfully mine are still there. i wanted to ask what is the technique some people use to try to prevent against theirs being stolen? i saw a post about it a while ago but i didnt read it very closely. thanks
Old 09-03-2001, 04:16 PM

Some people are securing the lights in by removing the 10mm hex. Installing the light and reaching from underneath the bumper to thread the screw back into the light. You will need to remove the plastic plug and install a large flat rubber washer between the hex screw and the light. To get behind the clear corner you have to pull back the wheel fender liner. There are two screws under the bumper behind the fog light holding the liner in place.. Take the liner and pull it back enough to get your hand and wrench in so you can tighten the 10mm hex back into the clear corner.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:16 PM

That's pretty secure and nice but I would prefer that people just take the damned lights and not tear up the bumper trying. Any scratches or gouges as a result of someone attempting to steal the lights are going to cost far more to fix than it is to replace the lights or run stock ones when parking in bad areas. One issue where more secure lights might be a good idea is when the clears have a tendency to fall out at highway speeds. Shadow's keep popping out after they stole his 1st set of corners along w/ the brackets and screws. Clears are cheap these days so just let people take them if they want them that badly. Consider it a cost of modding a car. Honda guys deal w/ that and stolen emblems(even stock ones) all day long. Just park in very public places and keep an eye on it.