General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

track help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 07:55 AM

im heading to the track for the first time friday and was wondering if you could give me some pointers. like what light to launch at and what rpm, tire pressure. I have a 2000 se with a 5speed and close to bald tires which sucks, but im just going to have some fun before i do some mods.

Thanks for any help
Dave
Old 09-05-2001, 11:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by dm7297
im heading to the track for the first time friday and was wondering if you could give me some pointers. like what light to launch at and what rpm, tire pressure. I have a 2000 se with a 5speed and close to bald tires which sucks, but im just going to have some fun before i do some mods.

Thanks for any help
Dave
When you get there, watch closely. Watch how people line up and where. Watch where they hit the brakes at the far end. Locate where the turn-offs are on the track. NEVER cross over your opponents lane at the end of the track until your opponent has FINISHED and turned.

The race:

Slowly roll up to the line and watch the "tree". You will set off a series of staging lights. One is a pre-stage light and the other is a stage light. These sensors are set only 6-8" a part so roll up SLOWLY. Once both sets of lights are lit you are staged. Bring your revs up to 3000 rpms. Once your opponent has staged, the operator will run the tree. The lights will go red, yellow, yellow, green in .500 second intervals. Once the second yellow goes, let out the clutch out. If you wait till the green, your reaction time will suck (note: reaction time will do nothing to elasped time).

The best way to get off the line is quickly let out the clutch and feed the car gas. You don't won't much spin and you don't want bog. You want to stay above 3000rpms straight from the get go. If you drop below 3000 (especially in a 5th gen) your 60 foot will suck and so will you et. Bang all shifts at 6500 and hold 3rd gear. There's no point to shift to 4th with the 5th gen. Take air pressure down to 30 on the 17s and 26 on the 16s. Pump up the rears to about 42. Play with your launch rpms and try to increase them if you can. DO NOT EXPECT 14s. It probably will not happen for quite a while.

To improve your et and 60 foot, try "shallow" staging. All this means is once you set off the pre-stage light, creep very slowly and stop the absolute second you set off the stage light. By doing this, you will get a few inches of "roll out" before the timer is even tripped. This means you might be going 1mph before the timer starts therefore lowering your et a little.

Drag racing is extremely fun, but it's very hard to chip away at those tenths of a second. Good luck.

Dave
Old 09-06-2001, 12:20 PM

do i drop it from 3000 rpm and get on the gas right away every time i try it even from 2000 the tires just smoke, could i be hitting the gas before the clutch is all the way out?

also do i do a burn out before i go or just skip it? also do i use the ebrake to burn out?