General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How Embarrasing! Poor little mustang... long

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 12:02 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

So I get off of work today and I get on the freeway to do my 35 minute drive home. As I'm getting on this early 90's mustang 5.0 convertable merges in front of me, top down, guy leaning back like he's all pimp. I ignore him at first, but a minute later I see him staring at this poor girl in a civic, revin back and forth at her, and she's just ignoring the clown So I pull up next to him and give it some gas to get his attention. As I get up next to him I notice he just bought the car, still has the $5999 sticker from the used car dealer, and some ugly a$$ fake daytons on, looked like some giant 14's! So I give it some gas a couple times and see him floor it from about 60mph. I got my foot to the floor at about the same time, and we stayed pretty even up to 80 or so when I slowy started pulling ahead. I didn't want to just barely pull on him though, so I sprayed for a few seconds till I passed 100 and he was 4-5 car lengths back. The look on his face when I took off... Priceless. He got off a couple exits later, I wanted to follow him and tell him to take it back to the used car dealer, coulda got a much nicer 3rd gen for that money!
Old 09-06-2001, 01:25 AM

damn mustang drivers have big heads. too bad he didnt have a real mustang like a 67 or something
Old 09-06-2001, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by black019
damn mustang drivers have big heads. too bad he didnt have a real mustang like a 67 or something
That reminds me of my neighbors. One has a V6 convertible mustang, the other has an early 90's black GT. They used to always give me dirty looks and kinda smirk that I had a grocery getter (Well it is, just very quick ) One day, I was tinkering with the car and as usual they were sitting out there drinking beer and washing their cars (these guys always wash their cars but never go anywhere) and staring at me. I had been in bad mood that day so I just hopped in the car and purged for about 10 seconds. I figure I would give them something to stare at. Both of them looked sorta stupid at each other and didn't look back at me all day. The next couple of days was pretty funny cause when they would see me they looked like they wanted to ask me something but were too afraid. Eventually, Mr. GT asked if I had NOS and I told him yes. After that, he thought I was god or something. Always asking me for tips and all that (yeah, a Mustang owner asking a Maxima owner for performance tips). He told me all about his (stock auto) and that he races all the time. I found that hard to believe when I see his car parked there 90% of the time. Oh well, ever since that purging incident, they always say hi to me and invite me over to wash my car with them and drink beer. I've passed on the offer.

P.S. The V6 owner has confessed to losing twice to a slightly modded Civic SI.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ford Probers act like that too. They think those cars are the fastest things on the road. My auto is supposed to be slow according to my Maxus times posted but I creamed a kid in his 96 Probe at the Pike with rice pipes and the whole 9 yards. It didn't make since for me to go up past 60 being that he was 4 car lengths back by the time I got there.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:51 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yeah my buddies got a 96 or 97 4.6 GT auto. He was always talkin smack till one day we got on the freeway together. When we got back to the house he said he was gonna sell his car. lmfao
Old 09-06-2001, 09:33 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by deezo
Ford Probers act like that too. They think those cars are the fastest things on the road.
Maxima people do that all the time too.

Old 09-06-2001, 09:38 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by mtrai760
So I get off of work today and I get on the freeway to do my 35 minute drive home. As I'm getting on this early 90's mustang 5.0 convertable merges in front of me, top down, guy leaning back like he's all pimp. I ignore him at first, but a minute later I see him staring at this poor girl in a civic, revin back and forth at her, and she's just ignoring the clown
Awesome...it's great to put people in their place.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:57 AM

I looking into nos right now and i was wondering if i can install a purge valve in my auto...?? I know anything is possible with enough money but can i do it with a averge teens budget...? zexmax do you have dry or wet?
Old 09-06-2001, 10:26 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

A purge valve just clears your NOS lines of air, so you get a good NOS hit as soon as you spray. It can be put in an auto or 5 speed. As far as cost, your looking at $500 for the kit, plus another $200 at least for gauges, you should also get the VB mod, a tranny cooler, and fuel pump if you plan on going over a 60 shot. Purge valves are about $100, bottle heater is $100. I would say you could get a basic kit going for about $6-800. The NOS kit #5124 is a dry kit, a wet kit would have to be done custom, like 1MAX2NV. Good luck.

Originally posted by Jung918
I looking into nos right now and i was wondering if i can install a purge valve in my auto...?? I know anything is possible with enough money but can i do it with a averge teens budget...? zexmax do you have dry or wet?
Old 09-06-2001, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax

Maxima people do that all the time too.

I don't think Max owners are that bad. I think its cool we pick on sports cars with our 4 door "Grocery getters". We do provoke a lot of Mustang, Honda/Acura, and Mitsu owners though.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:00 AM

Thanks for clearing that up... I heard that the purge valve was for manuals... I'm getting a new car in 2 years so I just wanna have a little fun before i get rid of it... So by all the things you mentioned I should hit a grand pretty easy... The guy i was talking to said that he will just be installing the nos to my air intake or that i can tap into my fuel line... which one is recommended for peak performance...?
Old 09-06-2001, 11:49 AM

Zex kit is a dry kit. I got my purge valve for $90. I have an auto.. Doesn't matter whether you have a 5 speed or auto. I got the kit for $500 and bought the purge valve separately. Zex also sells purge valves but I got the NOS purge valve cuz at that time I would have had to wait almost 7 months for the Zex purge valves. Another option would be to get the Venom kit. Its very pricey though, but provides the ultimate in computer controlled nitrous. You can preset to a certain rpm, percentage of nitrous, or gradual in power like a turbo. Once you do get it, you will definitely enjoy it. It's funny to watch people freak out when a grocery getter purges.

P.S. If you become a NOS junky the prices of refilling your bottle adds up quickly.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:02 PM

I don't think Max owners are that bad. I think its cool we pick on sports cars with our 4 door "Grocery getters". We do provoke a lot of Mustang, Honda/Acura, and Mitsu owners though.
I know a lot of people on this board that act like that.

Originally posted by black019

Don't bunch all mustang owners in together, generalizations are bad mmmmk?

Old 09-06-2001, 01:44 PM

Of course we didn't mean you Mustang1999.

I know that there are some liars on the board but I haven't seen anybody :cough: Sprint :cough: brag about their Max being the fastest.
Or does he own an S4?
Old 09-06-2001, 02:38 PM

Great job!

So do we have any times yet?

BTW-I broke my 14.4@96 with a 14.3@97 with a 50 shot. I can see that 13.9 coming soon. (Same mods as before)
Old 09-06-2001, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Great job!

So do we have any times yet?

BTW-I broke my 14.4@96 with a 14.3@97 with a 50 shot. I can see that 13.9 coming soon. (Same mods as before)
Hell, I want to take my car back to the track to make sure my 16.1 is totally wrong for the 1/4. It's killin' me.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:54 PM

Hell, I want to take my car back to the track to make sure my 16.1 is totally wrong for the 1/4. It's killin' me.
Dana, im tellin you, re-drag your car @ a local track when you get a chance. Or jsut come to E-town where all the guys go to get fast times.

The diff. between my times from MD & NJ was .5 That is a big difference. I was 14.8 @ Maxus and at E-town i run 14.3's all night long.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:16 PM

Dana, im tellin you, re-drag your car @ a local track when you get a chance. Or jsut come to E-town where all the guys go to get fast times.

The diff. between my times from MD & NJ was .5 That is a big difference. I was 14.8 @ Maxus and at E-town i run 14.3's all night long.
I need to get to NE raceway before they close to see what I can do there. I would like to go to E-town but its to far unless I chill at my mom's house for a weekend.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:22 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Synki: I haven't had a chance to get to the track again yet. I plan on going in two weeks though to test out the .042 and .047...

Raced an old RX7 at lunch, he got spanked.... BAD
Old 09-06-2001, 07:12 PM

I was talking to this shop owner and he said that he can get me the NOS v-6 75 shot kit for 660. This is the kit that combines the fuel and nos together. He also said that he can get me the dry set up for 400. Should i just go with zex...? I need that purge valve... how much is it to fill a 75 shot bottle from empty...?
Old 09-07-2001, 12:02 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I was talking to this shop owner and he said that he can get me the NOS v-6 75 shot kit for 660. This is the kit that combines the fuel and nos together. He also said that he can get me the dry set up for 400. Should i just go with zex...? I need that purge valve... how much is it to fill a 75 shot bottle from empty...?
There are two different types of setups you can do: Wet or Dry. Most of the people using NOS on this forum use the dry setup. It is very easy to install and tune. The wet setup can potentially make more power safer though, because you combine the fuel and NOS at the same time, through injectors on the intake manifold, vs. raising the fuel pressure and spraying just NOS through the intake. As far as I know, no one makes a Direct Port system for the Maxima, though 1MAX2NV has a custom system done, and I know someone else is working on one, though I wont name names The dry setup is pretty simple to install and use, the wet system takes a bit more tuning due to the added fuel and 12 additional nozzles. The bottles come in lbs. sizes, NOS comes with a 10 lbs bottle, and it depends on where you get your bottle filled. I get charged $3 a lb. so $30 to fill it up. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2001, 04:36 AM

They do sell 20lb bottles though. Couple of months back, there was this shop selling Zex kits with 20lb bottles for $489. They were selling fast.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:38 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

if you want to wait about two months i'll sell you my kit. EVERYTHING. IT's the kit, bottle heater, new fuel pump, autometer phantom gaueges(FP, A/F and NOS pressure), all the wiring, all the fuel line taps. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO RUN A 100shot except a VB mod and a tranny cooler. DO YOU HAVE A CAI, if not i can include mine, pre-drilled for the fan spray nozzle for another 100. IT's over 1200 in stuff and is almost brand new and will be halfway assembled to save you the trouble. 950 with the CAI, 850 without. in like two months. skusek_pps@yahoo.com
Old 09-07-2001, 07:32 AM

Ford Probers act like that too. They think those cars are the fastest things on the road...
I've found the same thing to be true for many probe owners. bbmax572 (2000 gxe) was on his way to Denny's a few weeks ago with a passanger and racing his friend in a riced civic with a 5 shot. They pulled into the parking lot a little quicker than most people would. As they do, this punk and his girl walk out the door and start laughing at hime and his friend.

punk: "you've gotta be kidding me.. racing that thing around!!"

Not knowing who he was talking to, they both answered:
"what do you have?"

Punk: "That's my probe over there(riced up 2.0, not the GT) and I'll race you for pinks!"

Still not knowing who he was talking to, they both answered "who me?"

Punk: "yeah, you with the Maxima!"

bbmax572 "are you on drugs! You'll race me but not the civic? Sure, I could use an extra car."

The passenger flags them near a light and the civic follows. Just to mess with him, bbmax572 launches easy and stays right next to his window 75% through first. Right before he shifts to 2nd, he looks over, smiles, waves and takes off. He pulls hard enough to block off the road and get out of his car at the next light. The civic blocks the probe in and the Punk gets out of his car.

bbmax572 "gimme the keys"

Punk: "Common, I was joking"

bbmax572: "Gimme The Keys!"

Civic: (grabs tire iron)"Give him the keys, now."

Punk: "Common man, I wasn't trying.... I understimated your car... I'll race you back...."

Civic: "give him the keys, or I'm gonna crown your A$$!"

Punk's Girlfriend: "Oh my God! Oh my God, give him the keys"

Civic: "That's it......."

bbmax572 has to cool down his Civic friend. In the mean time, probe punk jumps back into his car with his girl and bails.
Old 09-07-2001, 07:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

STEVE!!!

WTF What are ya doin man? Are ya crazy, lost your mind, etc? DONT DO IT!!!

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

if you want to wait about two months i'll sell you my kit. EVERYTHING. IT's the kit, bottle heater, new fuel pump, autometer phantom gaueges(FP, A/F and NOS pressure), all the wiring, all the fuel line taps. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO RUN A 100shot except a VB mod and a tranny cooler. DO YOU HAVE A CAI, if not i can include mine, pre-drilled for the fan spray nozzle for another 100. IT's over 1200 in stuff and is almost brand new and will be halfway assembled to save you the trouble. 950 with the CAI, 850 without. in like two months. skusek_pps@yahoo.com
Old 09-07-2001, 08:38 AM
is invisible

Was this the basis for...

Originally posted by Frezny

I've found the same thing to be true for many probe owners. bbmax572 (2000 gxe) was on his way to Denny's a few weeks ago with a passanger and racing his friend in a riced civic with a 5 shot. They pulled into the parking lot a little quicker than most people would. As they do, this punk and his girl walk out the door and start laughing at hime and his friend.

"what do you have?"

Punk: "That's my probe over there(riced up 2.0, not the GT) and I'll race you for pinks!"

bbmax572 "are you on drugs! You'll race me but not the civic? Sure, I could use an extra car."

The passenger flags them near a light and the civic follows. Just to mess with him, bbmax572 launches easy and stays right next to his window 75% through first. Right before he shifts to 2nd, he looks over, smiles, waves and takes off. He pulls hard enough to block off the road and get out of his car at the next light. The civic blocks the probe in and the Punk gets out of his car.

Punk: "Common man, I wasn't trying.... I understimated your car... I'll race you back...."

bbmax572 has to cool down his Civic friend. In the mean time, probe punk jumps back into his car with his girl and bails.
"The Fast & the Furious"?
Old 09-07-2001, 08:40 AM
is invisible

I've heard...

a "shot" of NOS is the equivalent of 1k miles on your engine.
Old 09-07-2001, 08:46 AM

Re: Was this the basis for...

"The Fast & the Furious"?
Just and amusing anecdote about a probe

After watching the movie, I thing my story has a better plot
Old 09-07-2001, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Frezny

"what do you have?"

That's funny. I bet Mr. Prober won't talk that bull to nobody else.
Old 09-07-2001, 09:08 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: I've heard...

Not True. Does the S/C take 1000 miles off your engine everytime you drive? Does a turbo? If anything, NOS, when used properly, causes less damage because you only use it for a few seconds at a time, it's not always on. There are plenty of people who have gone through dozens of bottles on there max with no probs. Matt (MardigrasMax) did a compression test on his engine before he pulled it and had awsome compression. ANYTHING IS BAD IF YOU ABUSE IT!

a "shot" of NOS is the equivalent of 1k miles on your engine.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: I've heard...

Not True. Does the S/C take 1000 miles off your engine everytime you drive? Does a turbo?
Well, my 7th grade Science teacher used to tell us that every time you rev the engine, you take 1000 miles off the engine life. He was also the guy who used to float blocks of lead in bowls of mercury back in the 60's as a science experiment

If his theory is right, how would we ever know. How many people run their car past 150k to begin with, or 200k even? You'll find most of those cars dying from other problems other than their engine (unless they never changed the oil or had been pinging for a while). Maybe engines in general are built to last "X"k miles, and our "abuse" never really matters because we don't use the engine long enough to see it die... just a thought.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:19 PM

Re: STEVE!!!

WTF What are ya doin man? Are ya crazy, lost your mind, etc? DONT DO IT!!!

you know i've lost my mind long ago, but i'm getting a 1997ish BMW M3 5-spd. it's only the best handling car in the world at any price, from motor trend. 5.5 to 60 stock and 50/50 weight dist. 115 feet from 60-0. it will run circles around a maxima in any department everyday of the week. except i've heard out bose is slightly better.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:04 PM

BMW's are nice cars but they are over rated....
Old 09-07-2001, 01:18 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: STEVE!!!

WTF! When I get my 5 speed in I'm comin out there and I'm gonna run down your Bimmer!!! j/k Well good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm waiting till I finish school, then I'm buying me a New metalic blue M3...

you know i've lost my mind long ago, but i'm getting a 1997ish BMW M3 5-spd. it's only the best handling car in the world at any price, from motor trend. 5.5 to 60 stock and 50/50 weight dist. 115 feet from 60-0. it will run circles around a maxima in any department everyday of the week. except i've heard out bose is slightly better.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:18 PM

BMW's are nice cars but they are over rated....
over-rated. i love my maxima, and always will miss her but this bmw, a E36, is one of THE best handling cars ever, in 97 it beat a 911, NSX, Viper and a host of other cars costing way more than it did. it even handles better than the new one, albeit the new one is faster, but this will suffice.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: STEVE!!!

WTF! When I get my 5 speed in I'm comin out there and I'm gonna run down your Bimmer!!! j/k Well good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm waiting till I finish school, then I'm buying me a New metalic blue M3...

not after mr. dinan gets ahold of it.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:42 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: Re: STEVE!!!

Yeah I guess your right, the M3 is a whole different class of car from the Max... I gotta decide soon weather I want to sink a large chunk of cash into the Max with mods, sell and buy the new 6 speed, or just keep the Max until I can afford to sell and get the M3, oh yeah, thinking about buying a house soon too.... So many ideas, so little $$$...

not after mr. dinan gets ahold of it.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: STEVE!!!

Yeah I guess your right, the M3 is a whole different class of car from the Max... I gotta decide soon weather I want to sink a large chunk of cash into the Max with mods, sell and buy the new 6 speed, or just keep the Max until I can afford to sell and get the M3, oh yeah, thinking about buying a house soon too.... So many ideas, so little $$$...

i jsut went throught the same decision, i wanna gonna convert it to a 5-spd, or buy a 6-spd or something or this or that. then credrum said M3 and i said Ok.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: STEVE!!!

Dont sweat it. I still dont know if i should keep modding the max for another few months or just sell the mods and use it as a daily driver. I am looking into buyin a new vehicle very soon. Looking into a used Supra or WRX. S4's are just way too much for me.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:48 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: STEVE!!!

Yeah, but those S4's are Sooooooo nice. Thats another car I have considered, but I will be keeping the Max for at least another two years, have to finish school first! Right now though the only cars I really want are a 6 speed max, S4, or M3. If only I had more $$$

Dont sweat it. I still dont know if i should keep modding the max for another few months or just sell the mods and use it as a daily driver. I am looking into buyin a new vehicle very soon. Looking into a used Supra or WRX. S4's are just way too much for me.

Quick Reply: How Embarrasing! Poor little mustang... long