General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For those of you who ship, PLEASE don't do what I did

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 03:06 PM

OK the story goes like this. Ever since Maxus, I noticed my Cattman Y pipe had sprung a leak. Very odd indeed, so I contacted Brian and he agreed to get it fixed and pick up to $20 in shipping. He gives me the address of the shop who makes the pipes to ship it to. So I pulled the pipe from my car put it in a box and drove to the Post Office.

Figuring I've never had bad luck shipping before, I declined insurance and delivery confirmation. I shipped the pipe out on August 24, 2001 via USPS Priority Mail. In my experience USPS priority mail usually is very fast, within 2 days. Ok no problem I think. I contact Brian a few days later and he says the pipe was being delivered back to him from the shop who makes them. Great I think. This was 9/6, over 2 weeks after my car has been out of commission. And then I get a horrifying email early on /97, stating that my Y pipe had never arrived, and there is no trace of it. That the Y pipe in question he was telling me about was actually somebody else's in for repair that he didnt know about. He said that if I could prove that the pipe indeed got to the shop, that I would get a new pipe because he was responsible, but if it was lost by USPS, he was not responsible, which is fair and square. So, thinking back, I did not have insurance or tracking or anything... so in either case, each party (Cattman Performance and the USPS) could just hold the other responsible. What was I going to do? I really did not know. Fortunately, it was just later that day, Brian called me up and said USPS had just delivered the pipe. Wow, I can imagine how lost the thing got in transit if it took more then 2 weeks for something that takes usually 2 days. Especially something large like a Y pipe. My feeling is it got misdirected. Fortunately, I lucked out on this one, the thing was just late, not lost. Lesson be learned, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get Signature confirmation AND insurance when shipping stuff. Whether you are doing ebay, returning products, or whatever. This way, you can cover yourself in the event somebody claims they never got anything.

Im sure most people in here have the common sense that I didnt on this one, but please dont do what I did.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:47 PM

It's good that things turned out well. You got lucky!
Old 09-09-2001, 08:14 PM

I work at UPS and we get thousands and thousands of boxes... sometimes the labels come off or they dont write the correct address or sometimes the package breaks open.... their is someone that corrects the incorrect addresses but some stuff we can't trace it back to anyone so we put it in this back room and have a auction at the end of the year... well thats what i heard...
Old 09-09-2001, 09:31 PM

Actually

UPS sells lost packages by the truckload to salvagers (use to work there)... i'd love to just have a 16' trailer full of goodies to discover ...

anyway, the post office holds public auctions for lost packages up to a certain size (where i work now)

... either way, you'd be amazed what can be lost in the mail

*cough20,000dollardieselengines* ... imagine how fun it is picking up the phone on a guy who just called and you get to tell him that you lost a cool mill in paychecks ... anyway hi
Old 09-09-2001, 10:34 PM

Shipping is a pain the rear end!!! I may never ship again because I am having the worst experience possible.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:12 PM

I was the other guy who's y-pipe was broken.....mine got shipped over 3 weeks ago...and it's on it's way back right now.