General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Woohoo! Getting a Y-Pipe soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 10:07 AM

Woohoo! Getting a Y-Pipe soon!

OK, I will be getting a y-pipe. At first I was so sure on getting a Cattman SS. But now I'm having second thoughts after the reading the "Stillen or Cattman Y-Pipe?" thread.

My questions:

Is it common for Cattman's pipe to have fitment issues so that it is a b!tch to install?

Does the noise in the cabin increase with the y-pipe?

Sorry, I know these things were discussed to death before but I need some quick responses because I have to make a decision by Friday.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:10 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php
Old 09-26-2001, 11:53 AM

I dont think its common for the Cattmans to have fittment problems but mine did and still I managed to get it on. There will be some sound increase around 1.5k which I think sounds really good. I heard that the Stillen doesnt have fittment problems and I think it would be easier to install since it now comes in a 2 piece design which you can move it around easly incase of a fittment problem. However the stillen is not Stainless steel. Either way your getting a good pipe
Old 09-26-2001, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also Cattman uses a lined flex section to reduce the bees in the can sound. As for cabin noise, if your exhaust is stock you shouldn't notice a difference.

Email Brian Catts and tell him about your concerns with fitament, maybe he'll double check that your Y-pipe is correctly made.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned with the noise because my parents drive the car too and you know how old people are. They don't like noise! If it's just a little extra noise I wouldn't mind because I'm driving the car most of the time anyway.

I e-mailed Brian already about the fitment issue and I'm waiting for a reply.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned with the noise because my parents drive the car too and you know how old people are. They don't like noise!
If you have a stock intake, the Y pipe should add minimal noise with throttle--at least my Cattman was pretty damn quiet. You won't be disappointed in that regard.

To add my 2cents, my cattman had fitment issues with one of the front flanges...
Old 09-26-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned with the noise because my parents drive the car too and you know how old people are. They don't like noise! If it's just a little extra noise I wouldn't mind because I'm driving the car most of the time anyway.

I e-mailed Brian already about the fitment issue and I'm waiting for a reply.
1st, I had just the Stillen B-pipe & muffler. I added the Stillen Y-pipe (No problem) and it's alot louder. The B&Muffler wasn't that bad. The Y-pipe added noise. I,m 30 yrs. old and it doesn't bother me unless traveling long. Then the bass tones begin to numb the senses.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by yourmove
1st, I had just the Stillen B-pipe & muffler. I added the Stillen Y-pipe (No problem) and it's alot louder. The B&Muffler wasn't that bad. The Y-pipe added noise. I,m 30 yrs. old and it doesn't bother me unless traveling long. Then the bass tones begin to numb the senses.

numbing the senses can sometimes be a good thing
Old 09-27-2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
I dont think its common for the Cattmans to have fittment problems but mine did and still I managed to get it on. There will be some sound increase around 1.5k which I think sounds really good. I heard that the Stillen doesnt have fittment problems and I think it would be easier to install since it now comes in a 2 piece design which you can move it around easly incase of a fittment problem. However the stillen is not Stainless steel. Either way your getting a good pipe
I am considering buying a y-pipe from another .org member and here is a pic of it. It is a stillen but I want to know if it is the 2 piece design? Anyone know?
Old 09-27-2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by WaarrEagle

I am considering buying a y-pipe from another .org member and here is a pic of it. It is a stillen but I want to know if it is the 2 piece design? Anyone know?
It's the 2 peice design. See the extra flange at the upper arm of the Y-pipe. It's already put together.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by breaux124

It's the 2 peice design. See the extra flange at the upper arm of the Y-pipe. It's already put together.
Thanks for the info, just making sure.