General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

need advice about engine "rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 10:21 AM

need advice about engine "rattle"

I have a 94 GXE with 179k. At about 100k, shortly after the timing belt was changed, a "rattle" developed in the engine. It is independent of the engine being cold or warm. I was told by a mechanic that it is probably the distributor. There may be a loose bushing or something that is causing the distributor to knock. So, I just decided to ignore it and drive it until it failed. Its been about 80k miles and its just gotten louder and not failed so I am assuming that it is not something that is going to be detrimental to the engine. Its to the point now that when I pull into the Quick Lube to get my oil changed they stare at it and wonder how the thing is still running. Everyone says, "that things about to die". I bought a new Acura last month and they asked if I'd like to trade in the Max. I let them take a look at it and they said, "you'd be lucky if you make it home". But, the car has never failed me and now I would like to fix the awful noise.
I pulled the distributor out last night and there are no obvious problems with it. I didn't think there would be because the car has been running fine for so long.
Has anyone experienced a "rattle" like this? Does it sound like it is, indeed, the distributor?
I would just like some advice.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clatte from Distributor

Sorry I am posting this to such an old thread, but I couldnt post a new thread for some reason. Anyway, Shortly after I aquired my 90 MAX SE 5speed, A clattering noise started coming from the distributor. I searched the forum and and found a few people that had this issue but nobody ever seemed to get an answer. I went so far as to replace the distibutor ($10 on Ebay with Crank angle sensor!) and nothing changed. I talked to a local expert on older Z and Max engines. I forget the man's name but he owns Tokyo Imports here in Tucson, AZ. He said the timing belt was loose. I had planned to do a timing belt anyway, so I dove in. Viola! That was it! The tenioner had slipped and the belt was very loose. Any looser and it would have been slipping teeth. Replaced belt and tensioner and no more noise!

Timing belt tensioning tip: I wasnt sure how tight the belt should be. I found this in an old Volvo manual. When the tension is correct you should be able to place your thumb and index finger on opposite sides of the belt in the center of the longest run between sprockets/pulleys. Twist the belt with just these two fingers and it shoud twist 45 to 90 degrees without excessive force. It should take a great deal of force to twist it past 90 degrees.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:10 AM

thanks! Its time for a new timing belt. I'm just glad the things still running at this point.