General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima drivers aren't the only ones who HATE STILLEN

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 10:08 AM

Maxima drivers aren't the only ones who HATE STILLEN

Hey guys, I went to an AutoX this sunday and during my work time I talked to a guy w/ a eclipse/talon, and we were talking about racing and mods, and he just started laughing when I mensioned Stillen, he said that stillen parts suck and expensive, and he can get the same quality stuff from other companies, he also told me horror stories from stillen

I'm just surprised that stillen is a$$ w/ other cars too

Konstantin
Old 10-01-2001, 10:14 AM

thats not surprising, i went to diff stores to check out their price compare with mine, they all said stillen had bad customer service.

however i do not agree with you that stillen quality is bad.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:46 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Maxima drivers aren't the only ones who HATE STILLEN

Originally posted by Vinipux
Hey guys, I went to an AutoX this sunday and during my work time I talked to a guy w/ a eclipse/talon, and we were talking about racing and mods, and he just started laughing when I mensioned Stillen, he said that stillen parts suck and expensive, and he can get the same quality stuff from other companies, he also told me horror stories from stillen

Konstantin
it's a general consensus throughout the import community anymore...
Old 10-01-2001, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
thats not surprising, i went to diff stores to check out their price compare with mine, they all said stillen had bad customer service.

however i do not agree with you that stillen quality is bad.
A plastic supercharger idle pulley is not bad quality?
Old 10-01-2001, 10:57 AM

hey not all... some maybe
Old 10-01-2001, 12:32 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Do I think Stillen stuff is overpriced? Sure.

Is Stillen stuff junk? No way.

Have I had problems with their customer service? No way.

I will gladly pay a little more for a part if I know it will fit like OEM. When was the last time you heard someone complain about a Stillen Y-pipe not fitting, leaking, or breaking underload? The same can be said for their B-pipes, mufflers, and bodykits. Things like intakes, shifters, UDPs, wheels, are made by different companies and not Stillen. Pretty much the reason people "boycott" Stillen is over their supercharger upgrades. Some say it's overpriced, but if any of you guys are familiar with Mustangs and F-Bodies, a complete Vortec kit goes for $3200-3600 or about what Stillen charges for theirs. Doesn't sound so overpriced does it? Other people are upset because they have problems with SC's idler pulley melting and Stillen denying that there is a problem. I agree, that's BS on Stillen's behalf. Many people feel like they get the run around with claims on their SCs and maybe they do. Some people get upset when they have SC failures due to in a large part to running a smaller than stock pulley. Stillen shouldn't be held responsible for these problems because once you add a smaller pulley, you void your warranty. With any complicated mod (SCs, turbos) that comes with a lot of parts, you should know that you are possibly buying into more problems than you want. That's what happens when you take car modification to high levels. I've heard of people having problems dealing with Greedy, Jackson Racing, HKS, etc on their turbo/SC systems. It's just not a Stillen problem.

Anyhoo, that's my take.

Dave
Old 10-01-2001, 12:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

I agree. Stillen's products are not bad quality but then again 90% of their products are not manufactured by Stillen. It's just rebadged or dist. by Stillen. They actually sell high quality products. Stillen is just a one stop shopping place for those who don't or won't do the research to find it elsewhere. Unfortunately you pay a premium for that convienence.
By their catalog, their sales staff "should" know more, but unfortunately you can't pay people who actually know about cars enough to sit there and take orders all day. And I bet 90% of the calls are "which intake is best?". If I had to hear that crap all day, I would want 100k a year!

Originally posted by Dave B
Do I think Stillen stuff is overpriced? Sure.

Is Stillen stuff junk? No way.

Have I had problems with their customer service? No way.

I will gladly pay a little more for a part if I know it will fit like OEM. When was the last time you heard someone complain about a Stillen Y-pipe not fitting, leaking, or breaking underload? The same can be said for their B-pipes, mufflers, and bodykits. Things like intakes, shifters, UDPs, wheels, are made by different companies and not Stillen. Pretty much the reason people "boycott" Stillen is over their supercharger upgrades. Some say it's overpriced, but if any of you guys are familiar with Mustangs and F-Bodies, a complete Vortec kit goes for $3200-3600 or about what Stillen charges for theirs. Doesn't sound so overpriced does it? Other people are upset because they have problems with SC's idler pulley melting and Stillen denying that there is a problem. I agree, that's BS on Stillen's behalf. Many people feel like they get the run around with claims on their SCs and maybe they do. Some people get upset when they have SC failures due to in a large part to running a smaller than stock pulley. Stillen shouldn't be held responsible for these problems because once you add a smaller pulley, you void your warranty. With any complicated mod (SCs, turbos) that comes with a lot of parts, you should know that you are possibly buying into more problems than you want. That's what happens when you take car modification to high levels. I've heard of people having problems dealing with Greedy, Jackson Racing, HKS, etc on their turbo/SC systems. It's just not a Stillen problem.

Anyhoo, that's my take.

Dave
Old 10-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Konstantin
That's what I figured also. I am still boycotting them. Hopefully the companies that are doing a fine job of producing Maxima items will continue to give us what we need plus good customer service.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:41 PM

By any chance... did you goto the autoX at Smith and Wesson?
Old 10-01-2001, 06:01 PM

weird.. i heard rod millen was super nice (his customer service) and his products are very welcomed by fellow supra owners and lexus people.. what happened to stillen??
Old 10-01-2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by mingo
weird.. i heard rod millen was super nice (his customer service) and his products are very welcomed by fellow supra owners and lexus people.. what happened to stillen??
i agree that the parts they sell are very good but i hate to deal with them. i think that the prices are to high and customer service needs alot of work. i hate to say it but i try not to sell stillen parts at my store.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:26 PM

i told u gtrblkmax97, everyone is agreeing with me dont kill me
Old 10-01-2001, 10:10 PM

Konstantin
Well, we drive maxima not civic, we dont' have sh@t load of aftermarket companies to support us, find me another company that makes better products than STillen, then I will go with that...but I doubt it!
Old 10-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm know a lot of the Altima guys hate Stillen too. I used to be one with the Alty's.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I agree. Stillen's products are not bad quality but then again 90% of their products are not manufactured by Stillen. It's just rebadged or dist. by Stillen. They actually sell high quality products.
If Stillen doesn't make "90%" of their stuff and they are just rebages,.....Why do you buy from them??? We have established the fact they are overpriced, but do all these people buy stuff from them because they are too lazy to look at even one other place????

It's an awfully high price to pay for a little bit of convience.
I think your paying for the name and bragging rights!!!

I agree with you all about the other stuff though, especially the SC voiding the warranty thing!