General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is it possible??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:01 AM

Is it possible??

My 98 SE just went a bit over 32k and I need new brakes. How long does the OEM pads last? It just seems way too early. Reason why I ask is because my brake fliud went low and there is a constant high pitch screeching noise coming from the front which indicates worn out pads.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:52 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Is it possible??

Originally posted by smackdownGTR
My 98 SE just went a bit over 32k and I need new brakes. How long does the OEM pads last? It just seems way too early. Reason why I ask is because my brake fliud went low and there is a constant high pitch screeching noise coming from the front which indicates worn out pads.
Your gonna have to pull your wheels off and actually check the pads, Maxima pads are notorious for sqealing, mine do it and I still have over half the pad left...
Old 10-03-2001, 10:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hell, mine squeal worse now than b4 i had the pads replaced... just got em replaced like a month or so ago...
Old 10-03-2001, 07:35 PM

Mine also sqeal, and are only about 50% gone.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

the original rotors on a maxima are VERY sensitive to any other brake pad except stock ones. everyone's squeal once they replace their pads no matter how much of that gunk you put on. if you want it to stop with different pads get new rotors too.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:20 PM

my 95 has the worlds largest groaning sound in the world when i lightly press the brakes rollin about 1-2mph, and these are new brake pads too.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

32K is good on stock pads.. think about the weight it self the brakes have to stop.. like 3300-3700 lbs coming down on those brakes can take its toll, look into some cross drilled or slotted pads before you have meineke or whomever do it.. i am gonna go all new in about 10K..
Old 10-03-2001, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I find it weird you guys have brake problems. I have changed my pads twice on my max and once on my I30 and I have never experienced any squeling. Both cars have original shims and the rotors have never been resurfaced. Makes me wonder if who ever put your pads on did something wrong? BTW I have never used anti squel stuff either, maybe I am just lucky?
Old 10-03-2001, 11:34 PM

never had the problem

I have 50K miles on my brakes and they never really squealed. My friend bought his Maxima the day before mine and boy did his brakes squeal. I thought it was cuz he had an automatic, but I don't think that's the case. It definitely has to do with the brake configuration...pads, rotors, shims, pins, and that. I have about 40% pads left (amazing isn't it) and I will be doing the Wilwood brake upgrade on Friday. I'd sell my squeakless brake system, but it'd only be the front and the rotors are so warped.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows how much brake fluid is to bleed the brake system.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:42 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by emax95
I find it weird you guys have brake problems. I have changed my pads twice on my max and once on my I30 and I have never experienced any squeling. Both cars have original shims and the rotors have never been resurfaced. Makes me wonder if who ever put your pads on did something wrong? BTW I have never used anti squel stuff either, maybe I am just lucky?
it sounds like you are just lucky, but what kind of brake pads did you use, that's the biggest factor.