General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Check This Info; Nitros, Turbo And Supchargers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check This Info; Nitros, Turbo And Supchargers

For easy installation, instant power, and low cost, nitrous gives you the most bang for the buck! That would be the way to go if you wanted your car to be a drag racer or an occasional mustang spanker at your local street corner. If you want nitrous power everyday, this is where the turbocharger/supercharger debate comes in.

For absolute peak power where drivability, turbo-lag, emissions and long engine life is not an issue, turbo is the way to go. With a properly designed turbocharger system you have the ability to produce huge amounts of boost and horsepower easily. The problem with all that boost is once the turbo spools, it goes to full boost. There is no linear delivery of boost. If the turbo spools at 3000 rpm, you have full boost at a valve speed that is very low, so the turbo has a lot of time to create cylinder pressure on the rods and piston because of the long duration that the valves are open. This is what creates the huge rush of power when the turbo spools. This is what also causes so many turbo engine failures. This is also combined with the fact that the turbo sits roughly two inches from a 1300 degree exhaust manifold. The charged air temperature is always high.

This leads to the rumor that anything that is forced air inducted must be intercooled. The air temperature of the intake of a turbocharger system is about 200 degrees, even after it is intercooled. The intercooler drastically reduces intake temperature, as long as there is a steady air flow over it. If your doing a lot of starts and stops this diminishes the effect of the intercooler. Once the air is cooled it must be re-routed back to the intake manifold. This means it must come back to the engine compartment and the tubing is reheated by the hot engine compartment. You have to also fill all that tubing with boost, then when you shift the bypass valve blows open, it empties the tubing, and then you have to refill the tubing. This is the main cause of poor throttle response and classic turbo lag in an intercooled turbocharged car. Then you have to stop and once you stop you have to cool the turbo. The heat circulating from the hot turbo is the enemy of your engine.
Superchargers mount on the top of the intake manifold away from exhaust outlets, as close as possible to the intake valves with no intercooler. Superchargers generally run a lot less boost than turbo chargers. Supercharger systems run off your engines pulley system. Superchargers run totally cold. The boost is there when you want it and when you don't want it. It's designed for the everyday driver car in mind, where aftermarket turbo's are designed more for drag racing and track use. With the supercharger there is no need for intercooling systems, turbo timers or boost gauges. In my opinion Supercharging makes more sense for the "everyday street car".

They say that adding intake and exhaust with the supercharger gives little to no performance increase. These systems are made to run with your stock exhaust and intake systems.

GOT THIS INFO FOR EVERYONE TO READ

[IMG]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\MAXORG copy.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2001, 02:01 PM

WOw...

Thanx for the write-up. Always like some nice "boosting" reading material!
Old 10-07-2001, 07:02 PM

Wow, this post is so full of misinformation and generalizations. I hope this isn't people's only source of info.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
Wow, this post is so full of misinformation and generalizations. I hope this isn't people's only source of info.
yeah, really
Old 10-07-2001, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sx7r

yeah, really
nice sig
Old 10-07-2001, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by matt calder

nice sig
why thank you.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:19 PM

Just sharing info, if you hold the wisdom correct it and make a legit post

Originally posted by Shadow

I didnt write this up or make this up I cut and paste this to share the info with everyone at maxima.org if is wrong is wrong oh well, only trying to help if you know how it works then correct it and thats it if you dont then you obviously know nothing as well.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:24 PM

why thank you.
Well, the pic is a little big, but the Sig **** approves too. And the information is COMPLETELY accurate.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:25 PM

Re: Just sharing info, if you hold the wisdom correct it and make a legit post

I know you didn't write it, I'm not trying to insult you or anything. To make a full writeup about all those topics would take a very long time. All that info has been posted in detail at one time or another, so all one has to do is search.

Originally posted by JAY25

I didnt write this up or make this up I cut and paste this to share the info with everyone at maxima.org if is wrong is wrong oh well, only trying to help if you know how it works then correct it and thats it if you dont then you obviously know nothing as well.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic

Well, the pic is a little big, but the Sig **** approves too. And the information is COMPLETELY accurate.

you ever race Sprint?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:39 PM

you ever race Sprint?
We found each other yesterday, along with Yo_its_ok, ybelm620, jibaromax and Confused, but Doogie thought it was a good idea to just drive off without telling anyone that he was leaving. I'm ready to go now.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:42 PM

We found each other yesterday, along with Yo_its_ok, ybelm620, jibaromax and Confused, but Doogie thought it was a good idea to just drive off without telling anyone that he was leaving. I'm ready to go now.
lol
Old 10-07-2001, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Friday night i told you i had your sticker in the car.. did you want to run.. what did you say to me greg?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

Friday night i told you i had your sticker in the car.. did you want to run.. what did you say to me greg?

so what did you say?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:51 PM

I said not tonight, I was ready on saturday...
Old 10-07-2001, 11:01 PM
Administrator

I said not tonight, I was ready on saturday...
you never told me that..
Old 10-07-2001, 11:06 PM

you never told me that..
Old 10-07-2001, 11:47 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

no offense but yea there are many errors in the post. A turbo doesnt necessarily only hit FULL Boost. It hit whatever boost your wastegate is set at. If you have a 8psi wastegate spring then thats what your boost should be at. I hit 2psi boost at 2200rpm and can hit 8 psi under 3k rpm. A supercharger isnt always located on top of the intake manifold. You are thinking of a roots eaton type blower. The blower that is found on the Max is centrifigual. Supercharger runs totally cold?? not even close. Ever measure intake temps for a blower? anytime you are forcing air into the cylinders the air gets alot hotter. superchargers designed to work with stock intake/exhaust systems? im not too sure about that but those mods will always add some power. The VQ was designed to be stock but we modify it anyways and most mods give little to no probs. I know on Turbo cars as much as 30hp can be found with an exhaust setup. Lag is decreased as well. I dont mean to bash you cause its nice you are posting info, but if you arent really sure if its right or wrong i dont think it should be posted cause people will read it and belive that that is the truth.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
no offense but yea there are many errors in the post. A turbo doesnt necessarily only hit FULL Boost. It hit whatever boost your wastegate is set at. If you have a 8psi wastegate spring then thats what your boost should be at. I hit 2psi boost at 2200rpm and can hit 8 psi under 3k rpm. A supercharger isnt always located on top of the intake manifold. You are thinking of a roots eaton type blower. The blower that is found on the Max is centrifigual. Supercharger runs totally cold?? not even close. Ever measure intake temps for a blower? anytime you are forcing air into the cylinders the air gets alot hotter. superchargers designed to work with stock intake/exhaust systems? im not too sure about that but those mods will always add some power. The VQ was designed to be stock but we modify it anyways and most mods give little to no probs. I know on Turbo cars as much as 30hp can be found with an exhaust setup. Lag is decreased as well. I dont mean to bash you cause its nice you are posting info, but if you arent really sure if its right or wrong i dont think it should be posted cause people will read it and belive that that is the truth.
Butt massage.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

its nice you are posting info, but if you arent really sure if its right or wrong i dont think it should be posted cause people will read it and belive that that is the truth.
ummmmmm you to there hoss, you can't make genarl claims like

I know on Turbo cars as much as 30hp can be found with an exhaust setup.
that is something bad to say, there are reasons for hp gains, and one of the main ones on a turbo car is the boost goes up. when you open up the exhuast (mainly on cars with open atmosphere wastegates) you end up raising the boost. What then occers???? power, and most likely a lean condition, due to the fact that most ppl are already pushing their fuel to the limits. ok I'm rambling, but I will say this just doing a exhuast on a turbo car can do anything from nothing to ****... I've seen 50 rear wheel from it. Why this brings me to my next point...

. A turbo doesnt necessarily only hit FULL Boost. It hit whatever boost your wastegate is set at. If you have a 8psi wastegate spring then thats what your boost should be at.
I'm glad you used the word SHOULD in there b/c in most cases what you set you wastegate at isn't what boost your are going to have. Have you ever heard of boost creep, it is a commen problem, and there is where most ppl's extra power comes from by doing exhuast.

Ok this could go on forever... that is why this is a bad topic, and is hard for ppl to learn this ****. With something like this you can't make ANY genarlizations, and you can't pretend to know it all. there is so many different things that can happen that you can never put into a couple of paragraphs what turbos or nitrous is going to do and what do to to help. It is way more complicated then most ppl think and you can only know so much. And anyone that says so knows jack ****.

I'm done.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by matt calder

nice sig
yea thanx,

if you want one send me some pics to ross_heyman@hotmail.com , and give me yur SN and some other info about the car, I'll see if I can make one for you, oh and donations are accepted.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:43 AM

for practical purposes which is better???...ive heard a T/C done well is better for the engine...plus better gas mileage...am i wrong?
Old 10-08-2001, 06:53 AM

THIS IS THEORY

For cars with good low end power, a turbocharger is better. For cars with bad low end torque, a supercharger is better. For our cars, the turbo is a better choice.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:09 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally posted by FormulaLT1

ummmmmm you to there hoss, you can't make genarl claims like

that is something bad to say, there are reasons for hp gains, and one of the main ones on a turbo car is the boost goes up. when you open up the exhuast (mainly on cars with open atmosphere wastegates) you end up raising the boost. What then occers???? power, and most likely a lean condition, due to the fact that most ppl are already pushing their fuel to the limits. ok I'm rambling, but I will say this just doing a exhuast on a turbo car can do anything from nothing to ****... I've seen 50 rear wheel from it. Why this brings me to my next point...

I'm glad you used the word SHOULD in there b/c in most cases what you set you wastegate at isn't what boost your are going to have. Have you ever heard of boost creep, it is a commen problem, and there is where most ppl's extra power comes from by doing exhuast.

Ok this could go on forever... that is why this is a bad topic, and is hard for ppl to learn this ****. With something like this you can't make ANY genarlizations, and you can't pretend to know it all. there is so many different things that can happen that you can never put into a couple of paragraphs what turbos or nitrous is going to do and what do to to help. It is way more complicated then most ppl think and you can only know so much. And anyone that says so knows jack ****.

I'm done.
hoss? ummm anyways, yea boost goes up when you open up the exhaust system. My friends have seen between 1-3psi boost increase on various cars. Yes i heard of boost creep, i had boost creep for the longest time and since i put in a built motor i havent had a chance to see whats going on. Some of my customers/friends never see boost creep, some do. I havent really figured it out yet. Im not a turbo expert but ive done a few turbo setups for different cars and im pretty good with doing this stuff.

your right, there is so much info that it cant be generalized in a few paragraphs and different cars respond differently to different mods. i dont think i posted any wrong info if i did then correct me on that, i can also admit if im wrong but i didnt see that. I didnt post ALL the info but thats different. Friendly arguements, not flaming.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:58 AM

OOOh sorry for a bogus posting everyone I am sorry

I apologize for misinforming everyone here on maxima.org
I am very sorry guys for posting a bad post that I got from another website, I dont know much about these 3 topics, I read it and decided to share the info with everyone. Thank you guys for correcting it Ill ensure I post more legit things in the future, I try to share all the info that I run into with everyone. Take care all you guys.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you are having problems with boost creep first, get a external wastegate, if you have one then try a deltagate. If you have one of those then try doing a open atmosphere dump for the wastegate, and if you are still having boost creep issues then restrict the exhuast a little. Not too much, b/c you will cuz your oil temps to skyrocket and you will spin a baring once a month, if not more. And I hate to say it but from my experince, once you have spun a baring in a nissan motor just plan on buying a new one. believe me I know, that is why I'm having to work my lazy *** thorugh collage now.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:32 PM

Let me set things straight

There are 3 types of SC's:
1. Roots type- Generally this is the type that you see on Top Fuel dragsters. It is the type with a row of 3 butterfly valves that open/close with throttle position. They can also be incorporated into todays cars by companies like Eaton who make superchargers that are found on the XJR Jaguar. It is a belt driven type that has a smaller twin screw design much like the Kenny Bell Whipplecharger (Lyscholm) supercharger. Can be mounted on top of the intake manifold or away from it with tubing going from the SC to the intake manifold
2. Lyscholm supercharger- Above stated Kenny Bell Whipplecharger. This is definately a SC that replaces the intake manifold. It creates boost right from idle but is limited to boost numbers below 10 lbs. That and there is no possibility to intercool this model
3. Centrifical supercharger- EX Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne,

You could get boost by either sending back your SC head unit to get it upgraded to the next grade of SC or by cooling down the air coming out of the SC. We are all running a SC class that allows you to run 6lbs of boost stock. The faster you drive the SC with a smaller pulley the more boost you will make, but you will also heat up the air going into your engine- which is bad. The whole purpose of a SC is to get more power w/o heating up the air. By heating up the air you are taking away the amount of power that you can make. You can overcome this by either upgrading the SC internals to a higher class of SC or by intercooling the air. You could upgrade the SC to an S trim that makes more boost while you are spinning the SC at a lower RPM. Thus you heat the air less and get better boost (could eliminate the need or want for NOS on your SC'ed Maxima). You could wrap the supercharger tubing in heat resistant wrap that will prevent the tube and the air inside of it from getting heated up by the engine compartment.

You can either use an intercooler in the front of the car or an aftercooler before the throttle body. Both would have to be custom made and both have their pro's and con's. An intercooler cools the air coming out of the SC by using the cooler air blowing over aluminum fins of the intercooler to cool the air going through a main tube in the intercooler. This reduces the temperature of the air coming out of the SC but you lose a little bit of boost in doing so. Your SC puts out a certain amount of boost but that isn't good quality boost b/c it is heated. Intercooling cools that boost (air) coming out of the SC and makes it more densly packed w/ oxygen (which is good for power). So you are getting less boost that is more packed with oxygen. You give up a higher boost number for a more efficient lower boost number.

Aftercooling gets basically the same results by moving the SC'ed air through a ice/water cooled resevior before your mass airflow meter. Cooler air temperatures lead to more hp.

You don’t always have to intercool/aftercool boosted applications but it just makes more sense if you are looking to get the most boost out of your application without having to switch to a smaller pulley. Sure you will get less boost with an intercooler but you will get better quality boost. Think about it would you rather be sucking in air that is 250 degrees or air that is 100 degrees? Your engine is the same way.

Adding a upgraded airfilter and exhaust system can only help your supercharger. Your car needs all the air that it can get in. A good conical airfilter like a K&N made into a Cold Air Intake system mounted in the fender will help you get much cooler air from the fenderwell. Other modifications like getting a bored out Mass Airflow meter and throttle body can also show results in applications (Mustangs take well to these mods where Maxima’s may not). An extrude honed, ported, and polished intake manifold port matched to the heads are also another way to gain some more performance from your car.

Same goes for exhaust. Supercharged cars need bigger exhaust systems, but there is also a limit on how big you can go with them. For example, supercharged Mustangs can’t use exhaust systems that are any bigger than 3” all the way back from a 1 5/8 header due to running separate exhaust pipes for each bank of 4 cylinders. Supercharged Maxima’s on the other hand might benefit from a 3” exhaust system b/c they have a single pipe taking care of exhaust duty from all 6 cylinders
Old 10-09-2001, 06:36 PM

word.