General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Desperate for help with electrical problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Desperate for help with electrical problem!

I have a 96 Maxima with an aftermarket stereo system consisting of 1 Orion amp ~2x105 watts and 1 Nakamichi amp ~1x350 watts, SVR gel sealed battery and stock alternator. I was having noise in the system so I removed the Nakamichi amp and had the Orion running the mids/highs. Two weeks ago I started to experience problems. Periodically, maybe every 4th time, whenever I hit the brake pedal the receiver shut off and my radar (which is hooked up to the fuse panel) turned off.

Over the weekend I tried to figure out the problem. While doing this I unhooked the main 60amp stereo fuse in the engine bay, while the battery was unhooked. My gf was sitting in the car at the time. I hooked the battery back up and then tried to stick the fuse back into the fuseblock. While doing this I saw a few sparks fly and my gf said the lights inside the car were going a bit crazy. I took the fuse out, unhooked the battery and stuck the fuse back in.

Now my clock is out and the receiver is not powered up. I took the receiver out and hooked the stock wiring back up to the Bose receiver. The Bose receiver wouldn't power up either. I checked every single fuse in the fuse kick panel (near the left knee) and I checked the fuses in the engine bay. All fuses were ok.

This is my problem. I can't seem to find any other fuses and am wondering if maybe I fried the wiring. But those are the only 2 accessories that don't work. I'm completely at a loss on what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-16-2001, 10:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It definately sounds like a fuse. Are you sure you checked all the fuses in the engine compartment? I think there are 2 sets, not 100% sure, one box might be just relays. Did you pull each fuse out and look really close at them? Especially the one marked RADIO/CLOCK. Better yet, just swap that one altogether. The break in the fuse might be down on the end, and you may not be able to actually see it.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
It definately sounds like a fuse. Are you sure you checked all the fuses in the engine compartment? I think there are 2 sets, not 100% sure, one box might be just relays. Did you pull each fuse out and look really close at them? Especially the one marked RADIO/CLOCK. Better yet, just swap that one altogether. The break in the fuse might be down on the end, and you may not be able to actually see it.

I just went and rechecked a few fuses, in fact I replaced them one by one with a spare fuse I had. I had no luck though. I'm going to have to recheck all of them tonight. I also just realized that when the key is in the ignition slot, not turned at all, the warning chime isn't making the warning chime sound (to let me know the key is in the ignition switch). I don't believe I have a fuse that has the work "Clock" on it. I did check the one that says "Radio" though.

The fuses/relays in the engine bay all control lighting or engine parts. So that fact eliminates those, I would think, from my problem.