General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Flywheel dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 03:20 PM

Flywheel dilemna

Alright I got some more decisions to make. Turns out I came across that Unorthodox Racing (the underdrive pulleys..) makes a FIVE POUND flywheel for the maxima!

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/nissan_maxima.html

I already dropped off my OE flywheel to get resurfaced/balanced and lightened. However, theres no way that the OE one will be able to get down to 5 pounds, or even 15 pounds for that matter. I'll probaly call the machine shop and stop them from doing the job. I weighed the stocker and it came in at 22 pounds. A 17 pound difference in the flywheel should be considerably significant. If an underdrive pulley adds about 2 MPH in the 1/4, I couldnt imagine what the result would be with a 17 pound reduction in the flywheel. The resurface/balance/lighten job is $130 or so. THe U/R flywheel is right around $500. I guess right now I'm in the mentality that "since I'm in there, might as well do it.." As for drivability, I'm used to a fast revving motorcycle, so that shouldnt be much of an issue for me. Anybody else think a 17 pound reduction in rotating mass would make a difference?
Old 10-18-2001, 06:31 PM

post the first gear ratio, final drive, and tire size of your car and I'll do the calculations for you.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:28 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Re: Flywheel dilemna

The 5 lb quote is misleading. We have a two piece flywheel (bolts in the middle) of which you reuse the whole plate with the ring gear. The savings is from replacing the front plate. BTW, the stillen piece weight around 7.9lbs.

I'm not sure how much the front plate weighs (13lbs??) but the weight reduction is there.

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright I got some more decisions to make. Turns out I came across that Unorthodox Racing (the underdrive pulleys..) makes a FIVE POUND flywheel for the maxima!

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/nissan_maxima.html

I already dropped off my OE flywheel to get resurfaced/balanced and lightened. However, theres no way that the OE one will be able to get down to 5 pounds, or even 15 pounds for that matter. I'll probaly call the machine shop and stop them from doing the job. I weighed the stocker and it came in at 22 pounds. A 17 pound difference in the flywheel should be considerably significant. If an underdrive pulley adds about 2 MPH in the 1/4, I couldnt imagine what the result would be with a 17 pound reduction in the flywheel. The resurface/balance/lighten job is $130 or so. THe U/R flywheel is right around $500. I guess right now I'm in the mentality that "since I'm in there, might as well do it.." As for drivability, I'm used to a fast revving motorcycle, so that shouldnt be much of an issue for me. Anybody else think a 17 pound reduction in rotating mass would make a difference?
Old 10-18-2001, 11:28 PM

Re: Re: Flywheel dilemna

Originally posted by Confused
The 5 lb quote is misleading. We have a two piece flywheel (bolts in the middle) of which you reuse the whole plate with the ring gear. The savings is from replacing the front plate. BTW, the stillen piece weight around 7.9lbs.

I'm not sure how much the front plate weighs (13lbs??) but the weight reduction is there.

Does anybody know what the 3rd gen's use?

I knew somethin was too good to be true, thanks for keepin everything in check Brett. Anyway, I guess I'll investigate this further. If the weight reduction is 8 pounds, $500 is not worth it, I'll just do what I normally was going to do at the machine shop and get the OE one chopped. I'll have them weigh both pieces before they start any surgeory on the thing too.

BTW, that plate in the back, whats the purpose there? I dont see any use for that thing at all, except maybe for the Crankshaft position sensor. The starter motor surely doesnt engage there.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:02 AM

A Maxima with a 5lb flywheel will be a pig on the street. Unless you are using this for drag racing only I say just have a good machine shop lighten and balance the stocker. Remember the flywheel stores inertia. The second you let off the gas = instant engine braking. Your driveability will be crap.