General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Need some help

So after a nightmare of a month with my 00 Max, I'm thinking nothing else is going to go wrong atleast for awhile. So much for that. Today out driving around my ABS light came on steady for a few minutes, then it started flashing along with my fasten seatbelt light and my air bag light. Does anyone know if this is just some kind of electrical fault that is easily fixable? I've spent $1400 on my car this past month, I don't want to spend much more. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Ryan
Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 PM

Maybe an alternator?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:38 PM

I pulled my head out of my butt. I figured it out. I replaced the battery. I was freaking out so much about all of the other things that were going wrong, that I forgot to think small. Thanks 4myswee for the response. I just had the alternator replaced a two months ago. Then I had the clutch replaced, and the master cylinder, and I had to wait for over a week on a new friction plate for my fidanza flywheel. Then my brakes went too about a week later, so I've been expecting something else to go. Thank god it was just a battery!
Sorry for wasting the bandwidth!

-ryan
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 PM

i know my airbag light just started blinking while i drive...its driving me nuts.....it blinks the usual 7 seconds right after the ignition starts....But then it just constantly blinks afterwards.......any one experience this issue...I read some things in the 4th gen forum about this, but ive got a 5th gen
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 AM

Not wasting bandwidth. Glad it was solved, and glad I could offer wasted bandwidth with you.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 AM

So, ummmm it's still doing it. I had it checked out and my car is losing voltage. It's right around 12v at the battery, but when the mechanic checked it under the steering column when he was checking my Service Engine Soon fault, it was around 11v if not a little less. So I'm thinking I'm gonna get a capacitor for my small system I'm running in my car and then I'm seriously considering a grounding kit. Does anyone else have any ideas? Anything else I should check that I'm not thinking of?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Banned

it should be 13.x at the bat with your car running. Capacitors don't do anything really waste of money. Check the connector that goes onto the alt. i had one replaced years ago and had weird symptoms similar somewhat to yours. mine wasn't fully seated. it grounds through the harness and the block. if you want nothing to do with it just bring it back to the shop that did your alt and tell them it's their fault. goodluck
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by ryand.white
So, ummmm it's still doing it. I had it checked out and my car is losing voltage. It's right around 12v at the battery, but when the mechanic checked it under the steering column when he was checking my Service Engine Soon fault, it was around 11v if not a little less. So I'm thinking I'm gonna get a capacitor for my small system I'm running in my car and then I'm seriously considering a grounding kit. Does anyone else have any ideas? Anything else I should check that I'm not thinking of?
Alternator. get a duralast from autozone $160, and if you feel frisky enough to do it yourself, its remove the radiator hose, remove the radiator fan housing, then jack the car up remove the passenger wheel, remove splash shield, loosen belts, the loosen but do not remove A/C compressor, then remove the alternator. Its not that bad took me an 1.5 hours.

How many miles on the car?

you should also be getting the battery and E-brake light soon

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 10-07-2007 at 12:20 PM.