General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What a GREAT drive to work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 03:43 AM

Top of the mornin' to you all. I can see now it is going to be a glorious day! How can I say this at 5:30 am, as I sit here at work, and the rest of you lazy **** slackers are just dreaming about rolling over to hit the snooze alarm for the fourth time? Well, let me recap the usual routine for the trek to work.

Mine starts out at about 4:15 am, when the old internal clock rolls me out of bed. (insert flight of the bumble-bees here) Do the S S S thing, cover my shame, pack my bag if needed, check the weather, and out the door by no later than 5:15 or get stuck in beltway traffic. Pop in a CD I burned and put the car in drive, and do the beltway shuffle (insert the Pee-Wee shuffle here). And I end up here at work about an hour later if lucky.

But not THIS morning.....ooooooo noooo, things were a little different. Had a little stress thrust upon me last night, and it stayed with me into the morning. Did the triple S, and managed not to cut my own throat. I got out of the house at about 4:50, popped in a new CD I burned and pushed the go peddle. The air was nice and crisp. Perfect weather for a turbo, eh? Warning : The following is NOT, I repeat, NOT an endorsement for speeding, dangerous, reckless, and any other aggressive driving. Now with that said..... For some reason, there was little or no traffic, and no cops on the prowl. Going down the 395 - BW Parkway was like being in a ghost town, so I open Bessy-Mae up. She must have had a bad nite cause she slapped me back into the seat with that devilish smile, and said, "Oh, you wanna play today huh?"

All I can say is, I see why speed can be a addiction.......oh nurse, insert IV of 94 octane here! The trip to the beltway normaly takes about 15 - 20 min, today, 7. As stated before there was nobody around, and those who were stayed in the right lane, and I said, "Thank You", as I went back to the future. The on-ramp was a joy. With the meaty 235's properly warmed up, the on-ramp posted limit of 20 was shattered by almost a factor of 3. There was the little crest that caused the rear swar-bar to creak, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just lots of stickum'.

On 495N is where she really showed her colors. It was clear sailing, open lanes, no cops....nothing. Like a wet cat let out of a cage, she was off. Now this is where the sheer pleasure comes into play. After College Park, and the 95N split there is a long hill. In the middle of this hill is where 95 merges. All I can say is WOW. Bessy-Mae must have dug deep into her bag 'O grunt, cause it was like riding a rocket up that hill. I could feel that devilish smile with the addition of that one little curl in the right corner. I didn't wanna look at the speedo, but I did and she was inching past 100........up hill! By this time there was some traffic upcoming, but far enough to hold my speed. After the crest is a short downhill grade. The stars must have been in perfect alignment. Every car that was in a quarter mile of moved over one lane. Is the world perfect today or what. As I passed, the moved back into my lane, and went about putting along.

Next curve, Mormon Temple. Once again, left lane parted like Moses and the Red Sea. Coming down the steep hill that is infamous for people locking up at the last second in the middle due to its deceptively smooth but sharp left curve. Just before the curve I drifted a little, and then brought her back in on line and let the torque do the rest. The B'stones gave not a peep, as I slungshot around the curve.

The rest of the ride was more of the same, but I just backed off to about 80 - 85. I am still feeling giddy over it all. I hope this feeling lasts all day. Seize the day!!!! for Glory is promised not to the timid.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:55 AM
JimW

So, Lovejoy, whatcha driving these days??-->

Originally posted by Lovejoy
Top of the mornin' to you all. I can see now it is going to be a glorious day! How can I say this at 5:30 am, as I sit here at work, and the rest of you lazy **** slackers are just dreaming about rolling over to hit the snooze alarm for the fourth time? Well, let me recap the usual routine for the trek to work.

Mine starts out at about 4:15 am, when the old internal clock rolls me out of bed. (insert flight of the bumble-bees here) Do the S S S thing, cover my shame, pack my bag if needed, check the weather, and out the door by no later than 5:15 or get stuck in beltway traffic. Pop in a CD I burned and put the car in drive, and do the beltway shuffle (insert the Pee-Wee shuffle here). And I end up here at work about an hour later if lucky.

But not THIS morning.....ooooooo noooo, things were a little different. Had a little stress thrust upon me last night, and it stayed with me into the morning. Did the triple S, and managed not to cut my own throat. I got out of the house at about 4:50, popped in a new CD I burned and pushed the go peddle. The air was nice and crisp. Perfect weather for a turbo, eh? Warning : The following is NOT, I repeat, NOT an endorsement for speeding, dangerous, reckless, and any other aggressive driving. Now with that said..... For some reason, there was little or no traffic, and no cops on the prowl. Going down the 395 - BW Parkway was like being in a ghost town, so I open Bessy-Mae up. She must have had a bad nite cause she slapped me back into the seat with that devilish smile, and said, "Oh, you wanna play today huh?"

All I can say is, I see why speed can be a addiction.......oh nurse, insert IV of 94 octane here! The trip to the beltway normaly takes about 15 - 20 min, today, 7. As stated before there was nobody around, and those who were stayed in the right lane, and I said, "Thank You", as I went back to the future. The on-ramp was a joy. With the meaty 235's properly warmed up, the on-ramp posted limit of 20 was shattered by almost a factor of 3. There was the little crest that caused the rear swar-bar to creak, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just lots of stickum'.

On 495N is where she really showed her colors. It was clear sailing, open lanes, no cops....nothing. Like a wet cat let out of a cage, she was off. Now this is where the sheer pleasure comes into play. After College Park, and the 95N split there is a long hill. In the middle of this hill is where 95 merges. All I can say is WOW. Bessy-Mae must have dug deep into her bag 'O grunt, cause it was like riding a rocket up that hill. I could feel that devilish smile with the addition of that one little curl in the right corner. I didn't wanna look at the speedo, but I did and she was inching past 100........up hill! By this time there was some traffic upcoming, but far enough to hold my speed. After the crest is a short downhill grade. The stars must have been in perfect alignment. Every car that was in a quarter mile of moved over one lane. Is the world perfect today or what. As I passed, the moved back into my lane, and went about putting along.

Next curve, Mormon Temple. Once again, left lane parted like Moses and the Red Sea. Coming down the steep hill that is infamous for people locking up at the last second in the middle due to its deceptively smooth but sharp left curve. Just before the curve I drifted a little, and then brought her back in on line and let the torque do the rest. The B'stones gave not a peep, as I slungshot around the curve.

The rest of the ride was more of the same, but I just backed off to about 80 - 85. I am still feeling giddy over it all. I hope this feeling lasts all day. Seize the day!!!! for Glory is promised not to the timid.

Are you still pushing the Max or are you an Audi guy? I see you're on both sites...
What's up, brah???

Old 11-02-2000, 05:06 AM

Re: So, Lovejoy, whatcha driving these days??-->

Originally posted by JimW
Are you still pushing the Max or are you an Audi guy? I see you're on both sites...
What's up, brah???
[/I]
I am still puishing the Max, but looking hard at the S4. I should be able to get a 2001 around $35k. I am looking at late sprint early summer as the time frame. The wifey is putting a serious monkey-wrench in my plans.

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 06:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Know what you mean....

I used to love running the top of 495 on the way to BWI. Those curves around the temple are sheer heaven when you don't have a lot of lane squatters around you. Going on the Inner Loop, you go uphill, then down to the 95 split, and make a wild turn down and to the left to get on 95N. THAT is where I used to push it (although the cops love that place as well). Then a LONG merge lane and onto 95.

I miss it so. :-(
Old 11-02-2000, 06:08 AM

I miss 177,,,

that runs between Fayette Co., and Tuscaloosa Co. down your way. Now that was a fun twisty drive. Lots of nice blind curves, almost all 2 lane. Ahhhhhhhhh

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 06:45 AM

mang.. that seems like a perfect start for me.. i wonder how the rest of your day is gonna go..
Old 11-02-2000, 07:42 AM

Eh..I hit a huge pothole just before 8th and E NW #;>( n/m

Old 11-02-2000, 07:51 AM

I try and not drive in downtown DC nm

:
Old 11-02-2000, 08:03 AM

Re: I try and not drive in downtown DC nm

Whelp, that's kinda hard for me since that's where I work 4 days a week. That's the first one I've hit in a long time though.. Have you been around the stadium in the past couple of weeks?? They dug up the asphalt and now the manholes are sticking up I have to come around that jont like I'm on a slalom course#;>)
Old 11-02-2000, 08:04 AM
STFU n00b!

Ahhh, thanks.. I needed that to start out my day!
It'll make my 8 miles of stoplight leapfrog seem much better!
I'll just PRETEND I'm doing 105 around the corner to campus.. oh wait.. I usually do that anyway! ;-)
Old 11-02-2000, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: I try and not drive in downtown DC nm

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
Whelp, that's kinda hard for me since that's where I work 4 days a week. That's the first one I've hit in a long time though.. Have you been around the stadium in the past couple of weeks?? They dug up the asphalt and now the manholes are sticking up I have to come around that jont like I'm on a slalom course#;>)
I used to work on 14th NW next to the White House. I REFUSED to drive to work while I was on days. I would just take the metro. Then on the nite shift, I would crawl, to and from work.

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 08:10 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Re: I try and not drive in downtown DC nm

Lovejoy.. noticed your sig..
how come you didn't go to Finals? woulda been some nice competition.
most of the guys in the Nov 301-600 class were from this area (OK, TX, AR, etc).. there were a couple from Canada, but nothing really impressive.. woulda been nice to see another Max competing!
Old 11-02-2000, 08:26 AM

Comps are few and far 'round here...

There are only 1 or 2 a year in my area. I didn't wanna have to travel too far....lazy, and the wifey will complain about it. It seems like the whole scene is going toward showmanship and not how things sound. I had a judge complement on how I had a perfect front soundstage as far as where the image was focused, but I could not get any points.....what?! Another judge commented on how I needed extra fans to cool my amps. Well, these amps did comps in Alabama in the summer, and have never overheated, so whay should I need the here. Lost points.

My basic Max page :

http://home.earthlink.net/~lovejoy1/maxima.html

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 08:36 AM
STFU n00b!

hehe yup.. they basically did the same thing here..
sooo, , I picked up a couple $2 computer fans, drilled a couple holes in the side of my amp rack, and stuck 'em on there..
now I can blame any system noise on the fans that they made me put in.

they counted me -1 point at finals because of a fuggin RELAY clicking when I turned everything on.. bastard..
let alone they docked me another 5 pts because I had "+12V exposed"... the guy took a screwdriver and stuck it UNDER my battery cover and said that since he could hit my terminals, I didn't cover them well enough and counted me off 5 pts..

so how the hell and I supposed to cover them? melt plastic over the top of them? sheesh!
those 6 points right there took me from 5th to 10th.. small difference there, eh?
Old 11-02-2000, 08:46 AM

It's all down hill....

In the last couple years, it seems tht IASCA has gone over the hill. As soon as the last rules change is when it happened. Attendance is dropping like a rock too. I doubt I will do anything next season unless the have one in my backyard. That db crap is getting outta hand. They rolled up this car that had almost no windows and had iron beams holding the windshield on....WTF is that all about.

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 10:30 AM

Wow, what a nice read for the morning. Thanks for the pick-me-up!!

Old 11-02-2000, 12:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Well, IASCA is completely restructuring the rules for next year to try to get the numbers up..

the IdBL stuff is a totally different thing- always has been- but people still seem to think that's all there is, and that SQ competitiors are all rich snobs that run with homemade tube amps cooking in their trunks (I.e. Earl Zausmer)

IASCAs rules for next year add another "street" division to the sound quality ranks, which look more at installation integrity and sound quality than it does artful installation..

if it don't blow up and it sounds good, then you've got a winner. that will help a lot of the guys like me that do all their own work.. it's hard as hell for guys like me- with only basic tools and test equipment- to compete with people that have their cars done in multi-million dollar shops.
My car has never even seen an install bay, except for the day I had my alarm installed. (and only because Clifford required it for warranty)..
75% the cars I compete against live in a garage or install shop, and only see the light of day when they're trailered to and from an event..

Also, they are going to a # of channels classification instead of a power classification.. I think that's much more fair because I'm competing with a system that's fairly underrated to begin with, but still WAY underrated compared to the other guys out there..
those Orion HCCA amps are hard to compete against when they can have a trunk full of them and be rated at 1/4 the power you are.
IASCA is finally catching up with this trend too, so now system power won't be much of an issue.
just about any system with more than 400W on subs can hit the SPL peak at the shows, so the rest is based on sound quality and installation.. the guy with a 25w/channel amp will be able to compete with guys with a 250w amp.. fair? yup..
when you're listening to music at normal listening levels, you're using under 5W of acoustic power.. no need for a 250w amp there!

soooo, IASCA is finally doing something about it.
Old 11-02-2000, 12:23 PM

IFF it really works...

I will enter a few comps. Seeing is believing.

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 12:56 PM
JimW

Re: Re: So, Lovejoy, whatcha driving these days??-->

What's up, brah???
I am still puishing the Max, but looking hard at the S4. I should be able to get a 2001 around $35k. I am looking at late sprint early summer as the time frame. The wifey is putting a serious monkey-wrench in my plans.

Lovejoy [/I]
Here's another monkey wrench for you...
Why not pick up a A6 2.7T 6 spd, like me

Almost as fast and has tons of back seat room for you. (you're a big guy like myself) plus, you can put children in the back seat without their feet hitting the back of the chair.

BTW, I ran a 14.7 my first time at the track, I plan to bust into the low 14's on my next visit..It's plenty quick enough for me.

Old 11-02-2000, 12:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: So, Lovejoy, whatcha driving these days??-->

Here's another monkey wrench for you...
Why not pick up a A6 2.7T 6 spd, like me
Now all they need to do is improve on that back end. It's not all that bad, but it could stand to be better.

Old 11-02-2000, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: I try and not drive in downtown DC nm

I think once I get my new car(someday) I'll use Metro Check instead of Subsidized parking... It's to late for the max now..#;>)

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
I used to work on 14th NW next to the White House. I REFUSED to drive to work while I was on days. I would just take the metro. Then on the nite shift, I would crawl, to and from work.

Lovejoy
Old 11-02-2000, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Well, IASCA is completely restructuring the rules for next year to try to get the numbers up..

the IdBL stuff is a totally different thing- always has been- but people still seem to think that's all there is, and that SQ competitiors are all rich snobs that run with homemade tube amps cooking in their trunks (I.e. Earl Zausmer)
Heh... It's tough to pick a single part of that system that had the most overkill, but I think the manure-stained imported African wood he mounted the tube amps on is definitely up there.