General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 08:01 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

I want to get rid of the intake piping on my SC and make a CAI like the 4th gens, but here's the problem. Stillen put the MAF tube right after the filter instead of integrating it with the charged air piping.

So the question is, will extending the MAF sensor wires have any side effects? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

If you do a nice job with some solder and heat shrink it should be ok. Wire nuts and duct tape are a no-no.

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I want to get rid of the intake piping on my SC and make a CAI like the 4th gens, but here's the problem. Stillen put the MAF tube right after the filter instead of integrating it with the charged air piping.

So the question is, will extending the MAF sensor wires have any side effects? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
If you do a nice job with some solder and heat shrink it should be ok. Wire nuts and duct tape are a no-no.

No wire nuts and duct tape.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:38 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax If you do a nice job with some solder and heat shrink it should be ok. Wire nuts and duct tape are a no-no.
What's up Kev, I agree with the above statement. Also use the same gauge or larger wire as the OEM harness. Something tells me you knew these suggestions already, and don't forget my pics
Old 10-22-2001, 08:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I think he was looking more along the lines if the resistance of the extended wiring will change the output of the MAF to the source and cause undesireable results.

My GUESS (take it as that) is that if you use the same gauge wire and are under something like 2.5 to 3 feet additional, there should be no distinquishable change in the resistance along the line. But I am NO EXPERT. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express....(he he he...ugg)
Old 10-22-2001, 08:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by CandiMan

What's up Kev, I agree with the above statement. Also use the same gauge or larger wire as the OEM harness. Something tells me you knew these suggestions already, and don't forget my pics
Hi Mike! Having fun on the East Coast yet?

What pics?

Any info on the project you and your friend was working on yet? Or is that dead now?
Old 10-22-2001, 08:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by Colonel

I think he was looking more along the lines if the resistance of the extended wiring will change the output of the MAF to the source and cause undesireable results.

My GUESS (take it as that) is that if you use the same gauge wire and are under something like 2.5 to 3 feet additional, there should be no distinquishable change in the resistance along the line. But I am NO EXPERT. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express....(he he he...ugg)
You are correct. I should've clarified that in the first post. Thank you for doing so.

I'm going to bring the MAF sensor to the other side or the engine bay and through the large hole near that's near the windshield washer fluid.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:51 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE Hi Mike! Having fun on the East Coast yet?
What pics? Any info on the project you and your friend was working on yet? Or is that dead now?
Can't have fun until my car arrives (it was shipped)
As for the project, it's not officially over. I just can't bug him as much as before. I'll send you a email or pm in a few days once I get an official answer
Old 10-22-2001, 08:54 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanting to relocate MAF sensor, but would extending the wires cause ill effects?

Originally posted by CandiMan

Can't have fun until my car arrives (it was shipped)
As for the project, it's not officially over. I just can't bug him as much as before. I'll send you a email or pm in a few days once I get an official answer
Sounds good! He can go ahead and press it out. Thanks Mike!
Old 10-22-2001, 08:56 AM

Good point, I would recomend a high quality wire of the same gauge. Be sure it is a low impedance wire, they usually have many thin strands inside. Cheeper wire uses fewer large strands, wich should not be used for this application.

Old 10-22-2001, 09:01 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I have Home Depot wires... that wouldn't be considered "high quality" wires, would it? They do have many thin strands though.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I have Home Depot wires... that wouldn't be considered "high quality" wires, would it? They do have many thin strands though.
Another thing to think of is make sure it has a silcon or silicon based jacket. Or in the future water seepage might be an issue.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Another thing to think of is make sure it has a silcon or silicon based jacket. Or in the future water seepage might be an issue.
Ahhhhhhhh........ OK. Jacket? Please clarify.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:11 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ahhhhhhhh........ OK. Jacket? Please clarify.

Thanks.
Sorry...sleeving/coating...the colored part. I always called it a "jacket" not really sure the technical word for it. Some of the cheaper wire coating is just plastic and won't weather well under the "conditions" underneath your specific hood area causing oxidation of wires and yet more problems.

I think you can measure resistance using a DVM between 2 points.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Sorry...sleeving/coating...the colored part. I always called it a "jacket" not really sure the technical word for it. Some of the cheaper wire coating is just plastic and won't weather well under the "conditions" underneath your specific hood area causing oxidation of wires and yet more problems.

Gotcha. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

the word you're looking for is...
"insulation"

just get decent quality wire kev. put a sealing butt splice on the ends of the wire. heat the splice so it's waterproof. slide heat shrink tubing to the entire bunch of wires. heat that up so it's water resistant in between.

make sure the MAF doesn't get wet.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by DanNY

the word you're looking for is...
"insulation"

just get decent quality wire kev. put a sealing butt splice on the ends of the wire. heat the splice so it's waterproof. slide heat shrink tubing to the entire bunch of wires. heat that up so it's water resistant in between.

make sure the MAF doesn't get wet.
Thanks Dan! I was planning on doing the exact same thing you mentioned. Great minds think alike.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 AM

get phoenix gold zero point wires.. they are very gooooOood... like my purple wire/python it's GooOod... and yummy too.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:45 AM

I wouldn't do it. SE-R guys have had some bad experiences, but I've only heard of 1 case where this was done.

1 case is not exactly a good sample.