General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

car got broken into. help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
smoken96

car got broken into. help?

so my car got broken into in broad daylight on a busy road in san francisco. went into rite aid for like 30 mins and came out and there we had it. all he took was my girlfriends cell phone. if he had taken 5 seconds to look around he woulda been a very happy man...i guess i got a little lucky.
anyway...
i (obviously) need to replace my window and get all the chips out of my door. i really don't want to pay for anything at all...and although i think insurance may cover the window i don't know about any labor just for clean-up.
i just want to know what other people have done in similar situations to keep costs down etc. or any other tips...thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
SickSE

You can consider yourself extremely lucky. My dad's company car was broken into(left unlocked) by somebody in our own driveway. They got a Garmin and a passport.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM

well to keep costs down......
1) put a black garbage bag over broken window area and you're good to go!

but i dont see why u need to get the insurance involved.
a replacement window can run you about $30 from a junkyard. replacing it will cost you 1hour tops of your time../....no big deal.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:22 PM

I guess you may consider this as bad news, but:

This type damage would normally be covered under the 'comprehensive' section of your policy, and it is universally the case that owners have opted to have a 'deductable' (the portion of the damage paid for by the car owner before the portion covered by insurance begins) on comprehensive, else comprehensive insurance would cost a bundle. That deductable is usually somewhere between $200 and $500, so you would not be getting much (if anything) paid for via insurance.

I have not had this happen, but I would expect the inside door upholstery would have to be taken off in order to get all the glass out of the inside of the door. Most folks would not even fool with getting it out, as it will never be seen, does not hold moisture, does not rust, does not draw termites, and should not rattle.

The cheapest way out is to find a replacement window from a junk yard/used parts dealer and install it yourself.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
should not rattle.
???? I guess you have never had broken glass in your door. It rattles like a ****. Every time you close your door or hit a bump.

Look just pull the panel and go a self-serve car wash and vacuum it out. Thne go to a junkyard and get a replacement. Or you can go to a glass place and have it all done for about $250.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

Assuming you have a deductible I wouldn't even file with your insurance company. They won't pay much and it will end up as a claim filed on your insurance. This claim may or may not affect your rates but if you end up filing for other stuff ( i.e., cracked or chipped windshield etc.) together they may raise your premiums.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
smoken96

unfortunatley insurance is involved and i have a 250$ deductible. im going to get estimates today (including my tint)

why the hell do i pay those bastards every month if when it comes down to it they wont even cover my ***. such a rip off

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Look just pull the panel and go a self-serve car wash and vacuum it out.
just pull the panel?...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM

kelby - Insurance is whatever the insurer chooses. You can get comprehensive insurance with no deductable, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. That is because folks are always having some little something happen to their cars, and the very high rates for no deductable insurance are necessary to cover all those little 'somethings.'

Insurance companies give us a very needed service, but they also have to pay agent's salaries and stockholders. Most insurance companies are making ends meet, but don't ever mistake the percentage of income that is profit for an insurance company with the obscene percentage that is profit for the big oil companies.

Although a comprehensive claim does not affect your rate with some insurance comanies, filing a claim where most (if not all) of the damage will have to be paid for by you anyway is probably not a good idea.

jonmandude - As I stated, I have never had this happen to me. But in thinking about this, you are absolutely correct that closing a car door with loose glass lying in the bottom would have to rattle bigtime.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
smoken96

what do you have to do to get to the window. maybe i can do myself? i can go to pick-n-pull and get a window for 30$.

edit - im going to get a window from pick n pull., getting to the window is something i can do and im going to save a lot of money. thanks.

Last edited by kelby; 02-19-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: edit for update
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM

they've got companies here that will come out to you same day and fix it for like $25-30