General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who will not buy another Maxima/Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 12:01 PM

I've owned 2 Maximas, 2 Z cars, and a Stanza. I think overall I like the way nissan does things and I can work on them. I love my current maxima, and plan to keep it through the rest of college. After college if I get the job I want to, I'll buy a BMW, but I wouldn't trade my max in. Chances are that my max would be faster than any BMW without an 'M' anyways. (yes even a 540 manual). If I get another car to mod, I think I will go with something that has a turbo kit available for it. I love turbo'ed cars, and I know too well the difficulties of turboing a V6.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:24 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by RICOiz704
Hmmmm Im with Brian on that DSM note...those cars are hard to maintain for daily driving habits let alone a modded one...trust me on this one...my cuz has one sitting in the garage right now modded to the heels but always full of problems....
yup my friend has a '95 GST only mildly modded right now....his engine just died on him recently and they are also telling him he'll eventually need a new crankshaft...and my other friend has a crazy modded '95 GSX, its fast as all hell, runs 12's all day long, but before he could afford the mods he had to get the 5spd tranny rebuilt twice....turbo DSM = hole in your wallet(and thats before modding it out)
Old 10-31-2001, 12:29 PM
is invisible

Time for a change...I'm looking at the lower end of Audi/BMW, unless I can snag an S4.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by slick
well, like it matters, i'm not gonna be seeing those cars in my future(maybe
Don't say that. If you really want something you got to go out and get it. Work hard and save your money and before long you will have the car you dreamed of. Anything is possible you just have to think possitive and work hard. Good luck to all of you on your future purchases. I hope you all get the cars you want. Some really nice choices you guys are picking. Take care guys.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

yup my friend has a '95 GST only mildly modded right now....his engine just died on him recently and they are also telling him he'll eventually need a new crankshaft...and my other friend has a crazy modded '95 GSX, its fast as all hell, runs 12's all day long, but before he could afford the mods he had to get the 5spd tranny rebuilt twice....turbo DSM = hole in your wallet(and thats before modding it out)
Amen!!
(Former owner of a 91 turbo Laser)
Old 10-31-2001, 04:20 PM

no more
this is my 4th maxima.. i've had enuff
when i graduate college in 3 years i am buying 2 cars
MKIV TT for sunny days
used WRX for daily driver

Ant
Old 10-31-2001, 06:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ant95se
no more
this is my 4th maxima.. i've had enuff
when i graduate college in 3 years i am buying 2 cars
MKIV TT for sunny days
used WRX for daily driver

Ant

Wow, on your 4th Maxima?

I plan to do the same as you once I graduate. Find a SupraTT as my weekend car and maybe a M3 for daily driving.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I hate the paint and auto transmission logic in my Max. I hate the service on my Max. It has left me stranded once (chip in the key) the battery lasted 13 months (and I wont even talk about what Nissan service dept quoted me to replace it.) Did I mention the paint??? I have bought new Toyotas, Hondas and an Acura and other than pure performance these all had less problems. My new superduty Ford pickup hauls my boat with ease and has also been problem free. The depreciation bites the big one........its the first car I have been upside down in....I think I want a slightly used 328 next I miss my 2002 I had for 9 years, wow was that fun. No more Nissan for me.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:43 PM

i'm leading toward a kia
Old 10-31-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by EdV2K
i'm leading toward a kia

Can you mod the chipmunks in those?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 PM

a kia? damn thats a slap in the face
Old 10-31-2001, 11:39 PM

Fairweather Friends
Old 10-31-2001, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000
Fairweather Friends
yes the weather was fair today
Old 11-01-2001, 04:22 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i wouldn't
Old 11-01-2001, 05:49 AM

AndyXXL: I was in a Nissan dealership last night >>

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I'm still not sure. I'll get either a new Maxima or a pre-owned certified BMW (540i or M3).
I was picking a few radiator hose clamps at the parts counter and stumbled into the showroom afterwards. I have to admit that Nissan improved build quality of the 5th gen...compared to the 4th Gens, it's like night and day. Trim panels on the 2002 were all tight, the quality of the materials is definitely noticible and the doors themselves had a substantial feel to them. All in all the car felt more solid. I spent about 30 minutes poking around the car as was impressed.

My only complaints are that the steering DOES NOT telescope outwards (not a problem for a goon like you - but I'm 5'2") and that the car is too big. But, I reiterate, for $27K, it's defintely the best buy for the money if one is hunting for a new car. I'm curious to see if there will be a 5-speed automatic available in a year.

Do you really NOT fit in an E36 BMW? I know a few 6'+ guys who have not problem. I mean, the seat behind the driver is useless for them, but with the power sport seats, I do believe that even the tallest of drivers can enter and egress without too much interference with the steering wheel.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:13 AM

Re: AndyXXL: I was in a Nissan dealership last night >>

Originally posted by Albertt

I was picking a few radiator hose clamps at the parts counter and stumbled into the showroom afterwards. I have to admit that Nissan improved build quality of the 5th gen...compared to the 4th Gens, it's like night and day. Trim panels on the 2002 were all tight, the quality of the materials is definitely noticible and the doors themselves had a substantial feel to them. All in all the car felt more solid. I spent about 30 minutes poking around the car as was impressed.

My only complaints are that the steering DOES NOT telescope outwards (not a problem for a goon like you - but I'm 5'2") and that the car is too big. But, I reiterate, for $27K, it's defintely the best buy for the money if one is hunting for a new car. I'm curious to see if there will be a 5-speed automatic available in a year.

Do you really NOT fit in an E36 BMW? I know a few 6'+ guys who have not problem. I mean, the seat behind the driver is useless for them, but with the power sport seats, I do believe that even the tallest of drivers can enter and egress without too much interference with the steering wheel.
I definitely do not fit in old 4-door M3s. I haven't tried a new one, but it still looks pretty small. Even 5-series have less leg room than my 4th gen. I wonder if a dealer or any shop will do some custom work and move the drivers seat further to the back
Old 11-01-2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by KL99SEA
I hate the paint and auto transmission logic in my Max. I hate the service on my Max. It has left me stranded once (chip in the key) the battery lasted 13 months (and I wont even talk about what Nissan service dept quoted me to replace it.) Did I mention the paint??? I have bought new Toyotas, Hondas and an Acura and other than pure performance these all had less problems. My new superduty Ford pickup hauls my boat with ease and has also been problem free. The depreciation bites the big one........its the first car I have been upside down in....I think I want a slightly used 328 next I miss my 2002 I had for 9 years, wow was that fun. No more Nissan for me.
Ah yea, somebody else shares my same views about nissan. I'm sticking to Toyota and Honda. I honestly feel Nissan is the weakest of the japanese brands. My next car will hopefully by a BMW though.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:50 AM

Re: AndyXXL: I was in a Nissan dealership last night >>

Originally posted by Albertt

For 27K at BMW of Peabody, if you can deal, you can get in a 325. The new Max's are way overated and overpriced. I'd still buy a used one, though.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:01 AM

Re: Re: AndyXXL: I was in a Nissan dealership last night >>

Originally posted by iwannabmw

For 27K at BMW of Peabody, if you can deal, you can get in a 325. The new Max's are way overated and overpriced. I'd still buy a used one, though.
Peabody? Not too far from me. Do you know anything about BMW Herb Chambers on Commonwealth Ave?
Old 11-01-2001, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: AndyXXL: I was in a Nissan dealership last night >>

Peabody? Not too far from me. Do you know anything about BMW Herb Chambers on Commonwealth Ave?
Chambers is really high pressure sales, and won't deal as much but their service is awesome. Peabody is better in sales but service is a joke. Gallery in Norwood and Norwell is good in both.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:32 AM

second that...

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Your sig is disturbing!
tell me you're kidding. please.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:03 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

one maxima gives me enough headache already... no more maximas for me (unless they decide to completely redesign the 2k body )
Old 11-01-2001, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Wow, on your 4th Maxima?

I plan to do the same as you once I graduate. Find a SupraTT as my weekend car and maybe a M3 for daily driving.
yes
Maroon 85
Silver 85
Maroon 92
Blue 95

Ant
Old 11-01-2001, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

My next cars after I'd sell the Maxima would be either an E46 M3,or a 540i do i smell M5? ?? :laugh
and while having the Max, i'm looking into a C5 Corvette or a SR20DET Nissan 240SX

I probs wont buy another, but I might end up keeping this one for eternity when I drive through the 'hood, albeit parted out.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:12 PM

g35 g35 g35
Old 11-01-2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

you know you love it .....the first step to realizing that the Aztek is the right car for you is to recognize that you are in denial about its amazing and stunning looks! don't cheat yourself out of recognizing what a TRUE SUV really is.....

But it has hubcaps!!!!
Old 11-01-2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by NightRider

But it has hubcaps!!!!
thats the only complaint you have about?
Old 11-01-2001, 05:48 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

my 2 cents

as long as I am poor and looking for an affordable, reliable, good looking and well performing sedan... I will look at the Maxima. I am on my 2nd Maxima right now and I might be getting a 3rd one soon.. (this one will be a 5spd ) I really don't give a damn about anything else, Accords and Camrys suck, Galants are trash... BMWs I can't afford... Maxima = Poor Mans BMW... so until I can get a Bimmer, I will drive a Max.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:55 PM

Re: my 2 cents

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
as long as I am poor and looking for an affordable, reliable, good looking and well performing sedan... I will look at the Maxima. I am on my 2nd Maxima right now and I might be getting a 3rd one soon.. (this one will be a 5spd ) I really don't give a damn about anything else, Accords and Camrys suck, Galants are trash... BMWs I can't afford... Maxima = Poor Mans BMW... so until I can get a Bimmer, I will drive a Max.
Steve, we'll see who gets a bimmer first
Old 11-01-2001, 06:00 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: my 2 cents

Steve, we'll see who gets a bimmer first

hey, it's not fair. you're out of school and stuff
so you're aiming for a 2k2 6speed AND a Bimma? not bad...
Old 11-01-2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by black019

thats the only complaint you have about?
No way, I just thought that for an SUV, it shouldn't come with hubcaps. I have alot more complaints about its looks. The hubcaps is just one.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: my 2 cents

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

hey, it's not fair. :mad you're out of school and stuff
so you're aiming for a 2k2 6speed AND a Bimma? not bad...
I still can't make up my freakin' mind
Old 11-01-2001, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: my 2 cents

I still can't make up my freakin' mind
What else is new with you? Get the bimmer and call it a day! But the G35 and 2002 Maxima does look good... hehehe
Old 11-01-2001, 06:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my 2 cents

Originally posted by Ken

What else is new with you? Get the bimmer and call it a day! But the G35 and 2002 Maxima does look good... hehehe
so does the new new q45
Old 11-01-2001, 06:38 PM
DOM

I am ****ed. You guys are RETARDED! You buy a 4 door family car and get upset that it isn't as fast as a turbo sports car. The Maxima is awesome even if it gets to be a little slower. Mine is perfect. It goes as fast as those other sports cars but has room in it to fit people and my luggage and so on.
When you guys somehow get your fast cars I would like to see how you like the lack of room, gas mileage, visibility, and high insurance rates. You will be begging to go back to the Maxima. It is much more practical. I know. My Eclipse was fun and not the ultimate sportscar, but it is a good example. High insurance rates, bad visibility, gas mileage, and no room make this impossible for me to drive everyday. I am getting rid of it and my girlfriend is buying it from me.
NEXT, the absolute worst thing about about these kind of threads is what you will replace the Maxima with. M3's, G35, S4s, RX7s, Supras? Get real! You guys make it seem like it is such an easy task. First it is too expensive and trying to find it should be very difficult too. I wonder how many dealerships feel confident making deals with 20 year old kids still living at Mommy's house.

My plan: Buy a 1970-1973 240Z and put a white trash 350 Chevy engine and get over 300HP with mods in a stock 2400lb car. All for about $20,000 less than your choices and faster. Let me know what you guys think
Old 11-01-2001, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

dood chill, i'm not saying the Max sucks but i do wana step up with more prestige and yuppiness, and honestly i dont like the styling on the 5th gens enough to consider buying them over a bimmer when the time comes, and the 6th gen Maxima will be positioned against the Avalon, hell no i aint buying 6th gen! then the Altima, too much torque steer, cheap materials, and it just doesnt have the looks i'm looking for, it still looks awkward to me.
I love my max and i hope i wont hvae to get rid of it when the time comes!! I just want another car, and I know as I get older, speed wont be my only concern, I applaud you idea of a 350 powered 240Z, we saw one run at Palmdale it was FAST, but damn I want comfort to go along with the performance!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:17 PM
DOM

carnal_c30

No I am not really ****ed. I am never too serious, especially on a web site. This is more for the other guys. As far as the cars go, some of these guys want something way out of reach. It kind of reminds me of when I was in third grade and all the little children wanted to be Superman, and astronaut, doctor, and so on.
Come on, you have to admit, that some of these guys are clowns talking about pumped up supras as a daily driver.
Even my cheap 240Z idea might not work because of money. I am 24, in college, and would like to someday buy a house. It makes me cringe thinking about a used car for $20,000+ or a new one for $50,000+. When I found about the Z, everything made sense.
A fast $7,000 Z with $43,000 for a downpayment on a house or an equally fast, $50,000 car an no house.

The Maxima is the perfect car. good performance, luxury, and room for $19,000. Can't beat that!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

its cool man haha, yea the M3s M5s and all are out of reach for most of us, If my plan for an E46 M3 or a 540 dont work out, I might just go with a G35 or even an I35
but my plan right now is to save up and then buy a used 2002 M3 or something of the sort.
and yes the Maxima is a great car, I love it, modding it is the only pain in the *** haha
Old 11-01-2001, 08:12 PM

Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by DOM
No I am not really ****ed. I am never too serious, especially on a web site. This is more for the other guys. As far as the cars go, some of these guys want something way out of reach. It kind of reminds me of when I was in third grade and all the little children wanted to be Superman, and astronaut, doctor, and so on.
Come on, you have to admit, that some of these guys are clowns talking about pumped up supras as a daily driver.
Even my cheap 240Z idea might not work because of money. I am 24, in college, and would like to someday buy a house. It makes me cringe thinking about a used car for $20,000+ or a new one for $50,000+. When I found about the Z, everything made sense.
A fast $7,000 Z with $43,000 for a downpayment on a house or an equally fast, $50,000 car an no house.

The Maxima is the perfect car. good performance, luxury, and room for $19,000. Can't beat that!
I think the reason you are displeased with your Eclipse is because you bought the 3rd gen one that does not have the turbo. Get a 2nd gen, like I plan to, and mod it for about $7,000 you will have a car that is in the 10's. That is still faster than your other suggestion of building up a 240Z. Im not flaming you, Im mearly pointing out that you shouldnt have high expetations for a 3rd generation eclipse. I've beaten them in my max with only an intake.

Kirk
Old 11-01-2001, 08:28 PM

I don't know about you guys looking to upgrade, but I'm definitely keeping my Max and trading in an older car. There's just no substitute for the performance/functionality/price of the Max. Period. Find me another sedan in it's class (size and price) that can even compare to it. There are none (3.5 Altima doesn't count!).

Even though I'm only 20, I should be able to pull a new G35, Z, or S4 with my part time income and trading in a '98 Sentra. So it is a realistic goal for me at least. I've worked out the finances and, in my case, I'm not just BSing (will be paying $600-$700/mo).

I don't know about you guys, but I feel a strong loyalty to Nissan. I've always had and always will. Hondas/Acuras, bottomline, are just too cookie cutter (and bland) to me and I don't like the image associated with them (rice boys, hooking up their cars with their mommy and daddy's money). I don't like Toyota/Lexus because their cars are ugly/boring, what can I say. Nissan has always taken the path least taken in their design choices (Altima, Maxima, Frontier, Xterra). In addition, Nissan has really upped the performance image of their cars in the last two-three years, not only superficially, but in practice also.

With the new Z and G35 just around the corner and rumors of Nissan switching all their large sedans to a RWD platform, Nissan is showing their sport side more than ever. The next 2-3 years are gonna be good ones for Nissan enthusiasts for sure!

Quick Reply: Who will not buy another Maxima/Nissan?