General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone has ground control w/ new maxima kyb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 06:13 AM
MAC

anyone has ground control w/ new maxima kyb?

Hey Guys,
need a little info.

My rear cattman/eclipse shock broke again.
This time I decided to replace the shock w/ a maxima application one vs an eclipse one that I have to modified, which is what came w/ the 1st gen cattmans.

Well, the cattman coilover sleeves are too big for the kyb maxima shocks, cause the two shock bodies are of different diameter.

My question is, since the coilover sleeves from Ground control is made for oem application, will it fit the maxima kyb shocks? I did not have a chance to mic the kyb vs the oem shock to see if they were close in diameter.

Also, does anyone know if the 2nd gen cattman coilover set up is made from maxima shock/struts, or are they still ones modified from another application. If the 2nd gen cattman's are indeed using maxima kyb's, I can call Brian and just get the sleeves from him.

Other wise, my other options will be to get custom sleeves made locally at a machine shop to fit the maxima kyb, or go back to repairing the broken part w/ an eclipse shock.

Some one please help me out with this. I,ve got oem springs on the rear right now, and coilovers in the front. can you say "stupid looking" ?!

thanks for any input.
Ming
Old 11-02-2001, 09:26 AM
Banned

Re: anyone has ground control w/ new maxima kyb?

Originally posted by MAC
Hey Guys,
need a little info.

My rear cattman/eclipse shock broke again.
This time I decided to replace the shock w/ a maxima application one vs an eclipse one that I have to modified, which is what came w/ the 1st gen cattmans.

Well, the cattman coilover sleeves are too big for the kyb maxima shocks, cause the two shock bodies are of different diameter.

My question is, since the coilover sleeves from Ground control is made for oem application, will it fit the maxima kyb shocks? I did not have a chance to mic the kyb vs the oem shock to see if they were close in diameter.

Also, does anyone know if the 2nd gen cattman coilover set up is made from maxima shock/struts, or are they still ones modified from another application. If the 2nd gen cattman's are indeed using maxima kyb's, I can call Brian and just get the sleeves from him.

Other wise, my other options will be to get custom sleeves made locally at a machine shop to fit the maxima kyb, or go back to repairing the broken part w/ an eclipse shock.

Some one please help me out with this. I,ve got oem springs on the rear right now, and coilovers in the front. can you say "stupid looking" ?!

thanks for any input.
Ming

hehe, that sucks ming, umm, i would tell if i would finally order those damn things. I am almost positive that the maxima kyb's will work with the GC's. You may have to put some different sized O rings on but they should work.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:00 AM
MAC

Re: Re: anyone has ground control w/ new maxima kyb?

Originally posted by matt calder

hehe, that sucks ming, umm, i would tell if i would finally order those damn things. I am almost positive that the maxima kyb's will work with the GC's. You may have to put some different sized O rings on but they should work.
Called ground control yesterday to ask them about whether their existing max application would fit on these shocks and they said no.

They did say they were not aware that maxima agx were even out, and that now they will look into making a new sleeve for this application.

in the mean time, I'm still jacked up. Anyone with 2nd gen cattman's can give me any info would be appreciated.

ming
Old 11-03-2001, 12:14 PM

someone on this forum installed agx's with their gc coilovers. i remember him saying that the ride resembled the ride from a late 80's early 90's corvette, dunno if thats a bad thing, probably good
Old 11-03-2001, 01:52 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: anyone has ground control w/ new maxima kyb?

Originally posted by MAC

Called ground control yesterday to ask them about whether their existing max application would fit on these shocks and they said no.

They did say they were not aware that maxima agx were even out, and that now they will look into making a new sleeve for this application.

in the mean time, I'm still jacked up. Anyone with 2nd gen cattman's can give me any info would be appreciated.

ming
hmmmm, thats not good, I could have sworn that someone had installed them on their GC's. I think I am still going to order them and see if they work. Will let you know soon.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:55 PM

why wouldnt it work? springs are designed to fit specically on a maxima not on struts, i just dont see the logic on why it wouldnt work with kyb's.

and read my post before this someone has installed agx's with gc coils

and i recieved my agx's today and i will install em on the 17th of this month