General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Body work ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Whatchyou say?

Body work ...

Ok, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place, not really sure where to post this.

I have a 4th gen and I got swiped while I was parked on the street a while back. I am not a "body man" by any means, but I would like to try to get this fixed / prepped so I can just have it sprayed. The damage is along the drivers and rear door, not too bad, but more than I wanna pay to have it fixed. My insur will cover it, but if I don't have to file a claim, even better!

Can anyone give me some starter advice on what I might need, where to find it, and how much it will run? I am not too woried about messing it up worse than it already is, so if I can fix it ... I'll try. The body shop of course wants to replace both doors (maybe just the door skin on the drivers) and I know that wouldn't be cheap. I would let them do it, but I don't have a lot of money, who the hell does with this economy ... GGGRRRRR. Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM

I worked at a body shop for a number of years and its not like i'm working on your car so what I'm about to say will not benefit me in the least; let the shop fix your car. without the proper tools and training, you will end up paying more for the shop to reverse your work AND repair the damage.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Whatchyou say?

Noted ... thank you. It's nice to hear from someone with experience. I don't want to make it worse than it already is, but at the same time, you're right ... I don't have all the tools and such.